F--- checked baggage fees

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I know the airlines are in trouble but seriously, this is some lame shit to raise revenue.

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    your bag weighs more that 25 pounds, give me 50 dollars.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    My wife just got juxed with this. I can get with the $15 for a bag over 50 lbs. But charge for every bag, that's kinda bogus. At least give us one free and charge for every one after that or something.

Someone should start a rental space program that's just like an old apartment with a bunch of closets. If you travel to NYC all the time on business, just rent a closet and keep a bunch of suits and shoes there. When you fly, you carry on your toiletries, socks and underwear, business papers, and boom.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I know the airlines are in trouble but seriously, this is some lame shit to raise revenue.

$30 round trip per bag = GTFOOHWTBS

It's some lame shit. Especially considering how much some tickets cost already.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

$30 round trip per bag = GTFOOHWTBS

It's some lame shit. Especially considering how much some tickets cost already.

This is what I'm saying.

I'm surprised they're not charging for carry-ons. I'm sure that's coming soon.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i never check bags if i can help it. i violated that rule coming back from jamaica recently. someone gave me a beautiful carved head from a fallen piece of lignum vitae it was so beautiful and i thought it would be safest buried deeply in my clothing so i checked my bag and someone went into the bag and took nothing but that head. it was definitely on the jfk end not the jamaica end because no jamaican would take that head, there is some deep recognizable obeah on that thing....

never check anything.

• Carry on is the way to do it. Small suitcase and shoulder bag is all I need, shoved it in first available overhead bin as I board.

They can't be surprised if people start dragging all their crap on board to avoid the fees.

• Dogs, at this point, the boarding process, along with getting an overhead bin, is like the fall of Saigon. NO ONE wants to check, so EVERYONE carries on, and the overheads are crowded beyond belief.

f*cking sucks.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Anyone know the deal with Jet Blue? I plan to just rock a carry-on, but I am traveling for two weeks.

Dogs, at this point, the boarding process, along with getting an overhead bin, is like the fall of Saigon.

Dude.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Dogs, at this point, the boarding process, along with getting an overhead bin, is like the fall of Saigon. NO ONE wants to check, so EVERYONE carries on, and the overheads are crowded beyond belief.

f*cking sucks.

Which means cats are going to start getting pissy about forming lines to board the plane and getting first crack at the overheads.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    In related news, United is putting into place a policy that should have been adopted across the board years ago:

United To Charge Heavier Passengers Twice To Fly

• Dogs, at this point, the boarding process, along with getting an overhead bin, is like the fall of Saigon. NO ONE wants to check, so EVERYONE carries on, and the overheads are crowded beyond belief.

f*cking sucks.

Which means cats are going to start getting pissy about forming lines to board the plane and getting first crack at the overheads.

That DONE happened, as the mosh pit* forms as each airline begins calling, "group numbers". United will let you pay $40 to get the privelage of boarding first, just to ensure you get an overhead spot.

*probably a more apt and appropriate metaphor than, "fall of Saigon". Sorry 'bout that.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    In related news, United is putting into place a policy that should have been adopted across the board years ago:

United is projected to go under within 3-5 yrs, so who cares.

United is projected to go under within 3-5 yrs, so who cares.

I don't get your logic. 3-5 yrs isn't exactly 3-5 weeks.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm flying to Taiwan again next week. I need a heavy bag to hold all my shit. oh well.

• I'm flying to Taiwan again next week. I need a heavy bag to hold all my shit. oh well.

International usually allows for free checked baggage. Check with your carrier.

• Anyone know the deal with Jet Blue? I plan to just rock a carry-on, but I am traveling for two weeks.

"Each customer may bring one bag free of charge."

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(634)

• United is projected to go under within 3-5 yrs, so who cares.

source?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It was on a Forbes list of companies projected to go under, recently as a matter of fact. The timeframe was based on some other crap I don't remember, but the going underness was from Forbes.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm flying to Taiwan again next week. I need a heavy bag to hold all my shit. oh well.

International usually allows for free checked baggage. Check with your carrier.

last time i was told my bag was 5 pounds to heavy. they said if i could move 5 pounds of it into my carry on then it would be good. i thought about it and said no.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i know virgin america allows 1 free bag... i recently checked in a 90lb bag that they were cool with and didnt charge. but yeah airlines suck.

united sounds like the most likely to go belly up. time to use up those miles.

i know virgin america allows 1 free bag... i recently checked in a 90lb bag that they were cool with and didnt charge. but yeah airlines suck.

united sounds like the most likely to go belly up. time to use up those miles.

United can also get the dills for their shitty mileage program.

• United and US Air are neck-and-neck in a race to the bottom... not surprisingly, they're partners in their mileage programs.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    It's outrageous, but I've moved past it. Bigger things to worry about than $15 per bag.

American is my airline of choice.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Ran into this B.S. over the weekend. In addition to the money shit, which they really ought to be honest about and put into your ticket price, it creates a situation where everyone wants to bring their large bags on as carry on bags, which crowds out everyone for overhead space if they don't board in the first couple of groups. I had a box full of rare-ass 45s which I was preparing to fight about if they wanted to tell me to check the box instead of put it under my seat. Luckily, no altercation.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    United charged me $130 for being 2 pounds over the weight limit on my baggage coming back from Austin. I have zero compassion for any of those airlines. Customer service is absolutely a thing of the past with all airlines. I hope they all go bankrupt.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Dudes. Southwest or bust. Unless it's a place they don't fly, its the only airline I ever take in the states. Plus they seem to always overbook flights, which is awesome if you're willing to switch - I've gotten some pretty sweet refunded flights plus equivalent flight credits and so has pretty much everyone in my family.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/baggage.html

MFers need to step up and stop having Long Island as their only NYC airport though.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Dudes. Southwest or bust. Unless it's a place they don't fly, its the only airline I ever take in the states. Plus they seem to always overbook flights, which is awesome if you're willing to switch - I've gotten some pretty sweet refunded flights plus equivalent flight credits and so has pretty much everyone in my family.

MFers need to step up and stop having Long Island as their only NYC airport though.

Sayin'. I can get a great price on Southwest.......if I want to head to Manchester, NH or Providence, RI.

• Dudes. Southwest or bust. Unless it's a place they don't fly, its the only airline I ever take in the states. Plus they seem to always overbook flights, which is awesome if you're willing to switch - I've gotten some pretty sweet refunded flights plus equivalent flight credits and so has pretty much everyone in my family.

Sayin'. I can get a great price on Southwest.......if I want to head to Manchester, NH or Providence, RI.

FYI, they're coming to LGA starting in June:

Southwest To Launch Midway, BWI Service From LaGuardia