Dario Argento (Italo Film-R)

DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
So ive seen Suspiria, Deep Red and Opera which I mostly enjoyed."The Bird with the Crystal Plummage" is next on the list. I need to know if anything else is worth watching considering some of his stuff is so disjointed. "Do you like Hithcock?" is watch-now on NetFlix so i'll prolly check that as well...Next up i'll be moving on to Fulci and Bava, any recommendations there would be helpful.

Comments

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    PS soundtrack for Profundo Rosso (Deep Red) by Goblin is so ill!

• "The Bird with the Crystal Plummage"

Just bought this and "demons" not watched either of them yet though.

Deep red is a favorite of mine also.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Do You Like Hitchcock is boring - skip it and stick to the older stuff. Except for Mother of Tears which is the final installment of the Three Mothers trilogy (Suspiria and Inferno being the other two). Phenomena is a little different and worth seeing, if nothing else but to gaze at a young Jennifer Connelley.

Unsane is great, as are Cat O-Nine Tails (with Karl Malden!) and Four Flies on Grey Velvet, too.

Inferno, Opera and Cat are probably my favourites.

• Most Argento flicks suffer from an, uh, lack of narrative cohesion. That said, if you suspend any normal expectation for an actual story, the following are pretty good:
    Inferno
    Creepers
    The Stendahl Syndrome
    Tenebrae
    Trauma

Try to avoid most of the 1990's-present day output. Mother of Tears was terrible, too.

Fulci/Bava recs: The Beyond, Black Sunday, Cat in the Brain, Demons. There's also New York Ripper, which is.... a pretty screwed up motion picture.

• PS soundtrack for Profundo Rosso (Deep Red) by Goblin is so ill!

probably the best goblin soundtrack imo

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the Tenebrae/Unsane soundtrack is pretty decent too - especially if you're a fan of Justice

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Definitely Tenebrae and Inferno watch those.

I'll also throw on the list.

Dawn of the dead and Two Evil Eyes.

- spidey

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Cat In The Brain is one of the most unintentionally hilariously enjoyable Italian horror movies I've ever seen.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Bava is truly a master of the genre. Black Sunday is, IMO, one of the best horror films of all time. The Whip and the Body, and Blood and Black Lace are also excellent.

As for Fulci, The Beyond is definitely great. Some really memorable death sequences in that one. City of the Living Dead is worth watching as well. Some people hate on it b/c it's so hard (impossible?) to follow, but I found it thoroughly creepy. Both Zombi and Don't Torture a Duckling are classics too IMO.

If you're not sticking strictly to Italian horrow, I would definitely recommend "Les Yeux Sans Visage" (Georges Franju). It's beautiful and frightening, has a terrific score, and boasts one of my favorite film posters of all time.

• I love his daughter.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Definitely Tenebrae and Inferno watch those.

Also Phenomena.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Phenomena is a little different and worth seeing, if nothing else but to gaze at a young Jennifer Connelley.
    the ending is beyond classic.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    zombie vs. shark

• Copped Fulci's Zombie 2/Zombie Flesh Eaters on VHS recently and found it pretty dull and not really scary, although the Manhattan skyline scenes are facemelting and the underwater zombie vs. shark scene is comedy gold. What am I missing?

it's an atmosphere film - -- if you're in the mood it has a very sparse and unsettling vibe to it. plus Conquistador zombies!! i ride for that film very hard!

title theme is one of my favourite peices of electronic music...

• Copped Fulci's Zombie 2/Zombie Flesh Eaters on VHS recently and found it pretty dull and not really scary, although the Manhattan skyline scenes are facemelting and the underwater zombie vs. shark scene is comedy gold. What am I missing?

it's an atmosphere film - -- if you're in the mood it has a very sparse and unsettling vibe to it. plus Conquistador zombies!! i ride for that film very hard!

title theme is one of my favourite peices of electronic music...

i'm a fan of the film as well, and despite it's problems, i also ride for "city of the living dead."

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Notable ones worth adding to this thread would include The Church which covers similar ground to the Demons films but is enjoyable enough and A Blade In The Dark which has one really really nasty death involving a bathroom sink if my memory serves me.