Native american/irish teen disco advice

2»

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Play this song:

You should have warned us that we weren't actually going to see Vitamin in that video.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    LOL when the zeppelin drums kicked in.

They turn on the colors!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    interpretative dance makes me feel very uncomfortable

• There is something to be said about Djing what yer good at. Absolute dance winners should be legit no matter what. Also like the idea of at least checking out their ipods.

But inevitably, you'll get the handful of focused musical fanatics at the decks (at 14 I would have punched any competing summer camp participants who wanted to play music with "melody" or a "hook" and would have played relentless and obscure punk bands until forced off the bandstand.)

I would think in segments (small flexible sets) of tunes. For every rare, you gotta play two tunes they know the words to. It's like DJing a wedding . . . but for little kids.

Howzabout a sign up sheet and a laptop w/ a connect to DL anything ya miss?

I'll vote against checking and playing current pop hits. Even young people have ears and know crap. Post up on the radio for research if you want (in north america it only takes about 90 minutes to hear most current playlists).

Good luck.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    DUDE! is that ANtonio Gramsci??? i was named after that guy!

i agree that you DO NOT wnat to let the kids takeover the tables and the mixing...F*ck that. thats your side of things. let them feed you ipod tracks if they want for you to play when you feel the time is right, selector.
    laptop sign up idea is good, maybe a little real formal, but it will keep thins organized on that front

play "brooklyn We go hard" have a mic handy, and let everyone shout out where theyre from. and whenever anyone says "dublin go hard" (or whatever place) say AAYYYYO! throuh the headphones

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    it would be absolutely bizarre and quite possibly horrifying for them if you suddenly bust out some traditional Lakota singing at this dance.

Better yet, loop up the drums from Apache and layer them under River Dance for some Best of Both Worlds shit...

I played an AfroGreexican wedding for some good friends once and mixed "Tell 'Em When To Go" with some traditional Greek music. Not one person even batted an eye. Oh well.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    it would be absolutely bizarre and quite possibly horrifying for them if you suddenly bust out some traditional Lakota singing at this dance.

Better yet, loop up the drums from Apache and layer them under River Dance for some Best of Both Worlds shit...

I played an AfroGreexican wedding for some good friends once and mixed "Tell 'Em When To Go" with some traditional Greek music. Not one person even batted an eye. Oh well.

there should some sort of award for that.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Not one person even batted an eye.

I find it odd that the same could be said about the title of this thread. Have we seen it all?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Download all those 'Now Hits' or any similar compilations they should see you through.