Native american/irish teen disco advice

mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
my lady has ended up working with this charity that is bringing a dozen teenagers over from a Dakota reservation for a week of activities and rambling around the Irish countryside with a another dozen local kids. i've been volunteered to dj at the last night dancei'm hoping after 2 weeks of hanging out there has been comradery developed and the heads all get on, so will need alot of common denominator stuff..some teenage lads on the floor fillers, (do kids still do air guitars?) an all the ladys on the floor filler, and possible even some romance sparked so ideally i'll be getting a slow set chucked in there as well. actually i don't have a clue. wtf am i gonna play???i feel

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Dammit Mick, play them the raer and educate them folls

b/w

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Whatever you play just makes sure you put a donk on it.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hey Mick

get Spiral to do a PA

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    you got two weeks, you'll probably be able to glean enough info in that time to know their tastes.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Hey Mick

get Spiral to do a PA

mate of mine actually made a beat for him for cash

forgot to mention all the kids are from dysfunctional families, all split parents,
    crime and drug problems for days

i'm guessing the local kids will be up for snoop/nu-metal b/w rihanna/avril lavigne

..i should have had 2 weeks, but the lady only going down today to hang with them and dance is saturday - i'll see what she comes up with, gotta beat the current strut recommendation of spiral doing the donk. (thanks anyway tho)

forgot to mention all the kids are from dysfunctional families, all split parents,crime and drug problems for days

They probably listen to regular music like other teens. I dont see this as a big dilemma.

Why not have the teacher ask them and copp what u need.

thats a good start allright, but i never played a teen disco before, either have the teachers, inside knowledge from experienced heads always helps in these situations.

where are u? - Is there a pop radio station near you?

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Whatever you play just makes sure you put a donk on it.

you might want to throw some D's on that B*tch as well.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    The fact that youre calling it a teen disco leads me to believe you are in trouble...

just dl shit from the charts at billboard.com check the "urban" charts. also you can find charts on the websites of radio stations.

i doubt any irish pop radio station will provide an insight to the musical taste of a load of native indian kids straight of a reservation in dakota mr or mrs fox, but sure it i'll give it a go. you've kinda drained my will to look for real ideas or potential comedy in this thread so might as well

i doubt any irish pop radio station will provide an insight to the musical taste of a load of native indian kids straight of a reservation in dakota mr or mrs fox, but sure it i'll give it a go. you've kinda drained my will to look for real ideas or potential comedy in this thread so might as well

Nah dont give up, but do give up this idea that teens from the reservation listen to some special kind of music cause thier Native,poor,disfunctional,etc.

Its sounds like your looking for some special concoction of music that appeals to the "natives". Theyre regular kids, like any ghettos kids.

Why not play what the teens in your area listen too.

Im sure this is some "lets expose" them type of trip, so why run yourself ragged trying to clone thier style.

Some American Pop mixed w/ some of your local stuff, plus some personal choices.

Disco means dancin - simple.

Disco means dancin - simple.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i doubt any irish pop radio station will provide an insight to the musical taste of a load of native indian kids straight of a reservation in dakota

their tastes are not going to be that different from other teens in the rest of their state or country. just check for top ringtones, videos and the charts and I'm sure you'll be fine. take advantage of your in for land's sake - you have a coneection to them - get someone to find out their top picks for what they'd like to hear.

it would be absolutely bizarre and quite possibly horrifying for them if you suddenly bust out some traditional Lakota singing at this dance.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    it would be absolutely bizarre and quite possibly horrifying for them if you suddenly bust out some traditional Lakota singing at this dance.

LOL.for real.
    play something off peppers pow wow or king just "warriors drum" (FOR REAL>>>DONT)

ask them what they want to hear...they undoubtedly will have an ipod or two. download some tunes from them.when kids from different places get together, the first thing they share and connect over is music. ask the counselors to find out what the five crossover sureshots are that everyone knows.

try to hook up a mic so they can give shoutouts to each other.

sounds like a great visit.

play some rkelly/chrisbrown/beyonce

dont be afraid to mix in a couple oldies...marvin gaye and such

kids nowadays love some of that indierock too. the kind you hear in teen angst goth movies. tool, slipknot...damned if i know

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    just check for top ringtones,

countdown until the day that somebody actually DJs with just 2 phones.

Shit, that almost sounds like art, where getting a call in the middle of a set is like somebody dragging the needle off the record, or a cd skipping.

i doubt any irish pop radio station will provide an insight to the musical taste of a load of native indian kids straight of a reservation in dakota

this wasn't something i had in mind, but could be pretty funny

but great idea on the ipods, i might be able to just round up the kids with them to do the selection, show them around the mixer and watch em go
    and have myself a

good work

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

Better yet, loop up the drums from Apache and layer them under River Dance for some Best of Both Worlds shit...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

THIS WOULD BE MORE LIKELY AT A WAXIDERMY DISCO

Kids are kids the world over. They all got cellphones. In fact the more backward you think they are, the more likely they will have a cooler cel than you, with crazier ring tones.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Better yet, loop up the drums from Apache and layer them under River Dance for some Best of Both Worlds shit...

LOL. Problem solved!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I've DJ'd Native events before and what Fox, Bassie, Tripledouble is saying is 100% on point. Just play current radio joints that all teenagers in America listen to. You could probably get a little loose and play a traditional Irish song in there somewhere for the hell of it.

This should help:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/si...vrm2!1489988949

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Cupid shuffle and arcade fire.
    When i was in ireland last year people were going nuts over arcade fire at the club i was at. blew me away.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Props to Bassie for the "horrifying" post too. This whole thread (and its title) are comedy...

and play a traditional Irish song in there somewhere for the hell of it.

you mean U2 or Sinead?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Play this song:

Then go screeeeeeeeeeech! Rip it off and play some pop music of today. Juke em wit your American Indian knowledge son!

PS A roommate of mine from college used to play this song when going to bed. Crossover appeal to the balls kicking thread.

LOL when the zeppelin drums kicked in.