Tear In My Beer: The Sad Country Thread

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Post 'em if you got 'em. I am woefully ignorant in this area, but I'll start with my personal favorite sad country song:George Jones - "He Stopped Loving Her Today"

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Jerry Jeff; the lyrics of this song should hit home with most who've seen heartache.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Post 'em if you got 'em. I am woefully ignorant in this area, but I'll start with my personal favorite sad country song:

George Jones - "He Stopped Loving Her Today"

George Jones is a brilliant singer. Very few performers have his ability to breath real life into a song like he does, absolutely inimitable, and I would say the most influential country artist behind Hank Williams.

"Bartender Blues", "Still Doin' Time", "The Grand Tour" and "If Drinkin' Don't Kill Me (her Memory Will)" are just some of his great tear jerkers.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Wille, too many songs to mention, but "Angels Flying Too Close To the Ground", always gets you thinkin.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Doug Dillard & GENE CLARK, Through The Morning, Through The Night, nice solitary drinking song,recently covered by R.Plant & Allison Krauss.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    A downright tragic song from the Doc Watson & His Family LP, also recently covered by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss:

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I don't know if that Plant/Krauss collaboration was ever discussed on the strut, but I think it's an amazing album. I took my girl to see them live for her birthday last fall and found out that T-Bone Burnett was behind the album's entire sound. I've been thinking I should dig through my dad's old cassettes for more of that dude.

But enough thread-jacking. This is more in keeping with the original topic:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Songs greater than the aforementioned George Jones I am not thinking of.

But I did think of Freddy Fender.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Townes cannot be forgotten, the songwriters' writer. The best.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Sunday Morning Coming Down....Either the Kris Kristofferson or the Johnny Cash version.
    Here's a version with both:

roger miller's my man and he cracks me up, but im gonna turn it back into a pity party...this is "Bad Seed" by Jan Howard:

Kris Kristofferson and Merle Haggard were just in Portland trading songs. Sounds like it was great with a simple 4 piece band backing them.

Wish I had gone.

Why is Dolly wearing a Startrek uniform?

Here is a personal favorite. Disturbing, bizzare, sad and funny all at once. Wendall Austin-LSD Made a Wreck of me..
    If some one could post Charlie Pride-Pardon Me, I've got someone to Kill, I would be very happy. I think Bassie posted it once in a Country Death song thread. I lost the mp3 and have been missing it.

My friend did sound at that show the other night. (Merle and Kris) I wanted to go but couldn't make the drive to P-TOwn.

I was looking for a version of I Am So Lonesome I could Cry, Hank Williams saddest (?) song. Happy to have found this:

If some one could post Charlie Pride-Pardon Me, I've got someone to Kill, I would be very happy. I think Bassie posted it once in a Country Death song thread. I lost the mp3 and have been missing it.

sure you don't mean Johnny Paycheck?

nothing like a good country song about divorce

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    all fairly obvious:

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    tear jerking two stepper

• How's the rest of that "Heartworn Highways" soundtrack? I wasn't aware of that movie, but after reading the Amazon summary, it sounds pretty facemelt (heartmelt?).

And LaserWolf, Freddy Fender is an icon in Texas. Love his stuff.

Twoply: Kristofferson gets a lot of burn from me these past few years.

Excellent contributions so far! Here's another:

From http://www.martinsmusic.com/articles/crazy.htm:
    In less than a week [Willie Nelson] wrote "Hello Walls," "Night Life," "Crazy" and "Opportunity to Cry."

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

classic

That's the one. Thanks Pickwick.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Mickey Newbury, "Looks Like Baby's Gone" ... and others, especially
    from the "Looks Like Rain" LP.

• I'll have to check for that record--thanks, SOI.

I'm listening to John Prine's first album this morning. Some may argue that it's not really country; granted, he does reference Abby Hoffman in the first song, but then again, he's sitting on hay bale on the cover.

At any rate, "Sam Stone," "Far From Me" and "Hello In There" are all very, very sad:

You know that old trees just grow stronger,
    And old rivers grow wider every day.
    But old people just grow lonesome
    Waiting for someone to say, "Hello in there, hello."

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Willie Nelson put out a record in the mid-90s called "Spirit" that used to break my heart. Most of the songs were just him and his guitar and (I think his son) on piano. There was something about it that was just so sweet/sad.