Tear In My Beer: The Sad Country Thread

2»

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    How's the rest of that "Heartworn Highways" soundtrack? it IS pretty facemelt

The movie is a must see for that period of songwriters and music coming out of Austin/TEXAS.

Its worth just to watch on Christmas Eve, the jam session at Guy Clark's house with Reggie Young, Townes, a very young looking Steve Earle, and many more. Its on the the extended part of the disc.

The interview with Townes at his home are must see.

The David Allan Coe concert section could had been better, but to see him driving that SEMI is f*cking awesome.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    I posted this George Jones song the last time we had a country thread, but it's perhaps even more appropriate here.

I can hardly bear the sight of lipstick
    on the cigarettes there in the ashtray
    Lyin cold the way you left em,
    but at least your lips caressed them while you packed
    Or the lip-print on a half-filled cup of coffee
    that you poured and didn't drink
    But at least you thought you wanted it,
    thats so much more than I can say for me

Damn, that's cold!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I posted this George Jones song the last time we had a country thread, but it's perhaps even more appropriate here.

Nice song. Sends the right heartbreak message.

This George Jones is a must pickup if found:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I can hardly bear the sight of lipstick
    on the cigarettes there in the ashtray
    Lyin cold the way you left em,
    but at least your lips caressed them while you packed
    Or the lip-print on a half-filled cup of coffee
    that you poured and didn't drink
    But at least you thought you wanted it,
    thats so much more than I can say for me

Damn, that's cold!

That's because his woman was!

Mickey Newbury, "Looks Like Baby's Gone" ... and others, especially
    from the "Looks Like Rain" LP.

That ENTIRE Looks Like Rain album is appropriate for this thread. Also seek out "You're Not The Same Sweet Baby" from another excellent LP he did, Frisco Mabel Joy.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I donno if this is a truly country song, but it's trucker blues/country vibe gets me everytime (bad recording):

• Although not classic country, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen do some sad tunes. "Seeds and stems" is a Vermont to Humboldt favorite. "Wine do your stuff," is another baller (in the sadness sense, not in the basketball sense . . . perhaps bawler would be better).

Merle Haggard's "House of Memories"
    Johnny Horton "All for the love of a girl"

And I love Waylon Jennings for the self-defeat that operates in his outlaw swagger. Saddest tune? "Are you sure hank done it this way?"

Lyle Lovett is another one who can really do a sad tune. In the late nineties, he did a pair of albums singing the tunes of lesser known texas musicians. "Texas Trilogy: Bosque County romance" (originally by Steven Fromholz) is done with absolute wretched power from Lyle. I'm a long-time vegetarian, and I cry while they describe the death of this cattle family.

Nice thread. Amplify that George Jones when you play it. If you are sad, your neighbors should know it.

And I love Waylon Jennings for the self-defeat that operates in his outlaw swagger. Saddest tune? "Are you sure hank done it this way?"

That song doesn't sound "sad," so much as it is Waylon telling the Nashville music scene to either die or grow.

• Two of the Greatest Artists (IMO)

• Pickwick33 No doubt. That's what makes it so sad to me. Waylon is sad about women, but you mess with *music* and . . . listen to his voice quaver on that tune. Sure he is angry, but it sounds more like resignation to me. A man out of time or something.