Jeru and the Damajas

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
So last night I djed with the original dirty rotten scoundrel. I knocked back about 5 kettle and grapefruits in an hour, got on the mic, and introduced dude as "jeru and the damajas"Just thought I'd share that. Bye

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I might have you beat.

Talked to him backstage after DJing The Rub and asked him how he felt rapping nowadays to mostly white crowds about their own devilish behavior. He said he had to pee and never came back.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Silkk and the Shockers
    Ghostface and the Killers

ha

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Silkk and the Shockers

Once referred to as "Slikk the Shicker".

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    This is why I don't drink and play gigs anymore. I was playing with a combo last year and was supposed to announce the names of the guys in the group and the tunes and forgot half the dudes names in the group and all the tunes except "Freight Trane."

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    best shit thread i've read in a long time

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    best shit thread i've read in a long time

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    OJ and the Juicemen

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I interviewed Andy Butler last week and said "Hey here we are with Andy Brennan..."

This is my confession like Usher: the first time I saw Jeru's name in print, I thought "Damaja" was a language other than English and was pronounced in such a way that it rhymed with "Maharaja".

Clowning ensued.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    This is my confession like Usher: the first time I saw Jeru's name in print, I thought "Damaja" was a language other than English and was pronounced in such a way that it rhymed with "Maharaja".

Clowning ensued.

That's how I thought it was pronounced. I don't remember which, but I was fortunate enough to have heard either A) someone pronounce it correctly or B) someone else get clowned for saying "da-MAH-zhah," so I was able to avoid Rillz's situation. It could have well been me.

I figured Jeru's imaginary soul band would be called the Righteous Brothers. Can Afu-Ra play bass? I'm sure he needs a gig right now.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I was fortunate enough to have heard GURU pronounce it correctly, when he introduced him to the world.

Clowning ensued.

Could it be your very own mother that called SandboxAutomatic one fine day asking for "Jeru The Damaaahja and Shazbah The Disciple"???

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I was fortunate enough to have heard GURU pronounce it correctly, when he introduced him to the world.

Here's my confession like Usher. Jeru's first joint came out before I had heard Daily Operation.

I think I didn't cop DO until years later.

Clowning ensued.

Could it be your very own mother that called SandboxAutomatic one fine day asking for "Jeru The Damaaahja and Shazbah The Disciple"???

Yes.

Let us not speak of this further.

I am deeply embarassed, not only by the mispronunciation, but by the fact that my mother was still vetting all of my music purchases during the Sandbox era, at which point I was in college.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    When i worked the counter in a bullshit record store some idiot asked for "jerry the daMAHjar"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "I think it's pronounced Benny Sigel."

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Shazbah The Disciple

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Shazbah The Disciple

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    When i worked the counter in a bullshit record store some idiot asked for "jerry the daMAHjar"

i was working in a record store when the first Meshell N'degeocello album came out, and people used to butcher her name like a slab of beef!!

i was working in a record store when the first Meshell N'degeocello album came out, and people used to butcher her name like a slab of beef!!

Can we get an "intentionally mis-spelled/phonetically spelled-out/odd spellings 90's musiciains" thread?

Im talmbout yr Krumb Snatcha's and yr Thugz.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    In college, Becky asked me to play the CoCo Bro-Vass...

Bone Thug Zee and Harmony.

Silkk and the Shockers
    Ghostface and the Killers

ha

the flipside of Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen" is a live version of "Bodhsivatta" where they're introduced as "Mr.[/b] Steely Dan" (the guy thought that Donald Fagen WAS Steely Dan, and that everybody else was his backup band)

the MC is this inebriated black guy who was the band's roadie. he's doing this insanely drawn-out intro, trying to sound like a smooth-talking chitlin'-circuit MC, saying shit like "if it's good to you, it's good for you...rat own," but he's so messed up that he comes off like drunk Uncle Louie at the family cookout

it wasnt on any of the regular-release albums, but the next time you see the "hey 19/Bodhsivatta" single in a 50-cent bin, it's worth buying for the intro alone. i am not a Dan fan, so I usually play the introduction and then take it off!! or start it over again...

cant find it on Youtube, but id post it if it were there.

Can we get an "intentionally mis-spelled/phonetically spelled-out/odd spellings 90's musiciains" thread?

i wonder if there was anybody who thought Tupac's name was pronounced Two-Pack

British people

the word "compleat" is an alternate spelling for "complete," right?

'cause once me and a friend were telling somebody else about the Small Faces, and my buddy said that a good starting point was The Compleat Small Faces

except he pronounced it "com-plee-at"

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Back when "The sun" LP was released, somebody called into the radio station asking to here "Jeru Damaga" pronounced like mirage. "Can you play some Jeru Damaaaaashia?" Sure brah. Love Santa Cruz.

KANE WEST