Jeru and the Damajas

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    the word "compleat" is an alternate spelling for "complete," right?

'cause once me and a friend were telling somebody else about the Small Faces, and my buddy said that a good starting point was The Compleat Small Faces

except he pronounced it "com-plee-at"

Compleat is my favoUrite spelling of that word.
    See Beatles for more on this spelling.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    KANE WEST

Big Daddy Kanye?

hard-g GZA

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    KANE WEST

I like how your dude Mos Def did this on Kanye's own album.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Similarly Black Thought called The Coup "The Coop" on their last album.

One would expect a conscience rapper to know how to pronounce the word "coup".

• Are these the same people that say they have a VASTEX mixer?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I said "ATT-lee-unns" one time.

• my best friend in 7th grade told me he was particularly feeling the track "comin for dot-ahz" on the new gang starr record. i went home and listened to it, and realized he must not have.

• Fug-ees
    Lay-tryx

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Shazbah The Disciple

Somebody needs to jump on a 'Rock the Shazbah' mashup immediately.

Bone Thug Zee and Harmony.

I would pay $200 sight unseen for a group harmony 45 by a band with this name.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    this thread reminds me of the old philly record exchange space, how they had messed up contractions of everyones names on the wall pieced together from dividers sent to them from record labels for example:

FATS ONO
    TOM PETTY AND THE HOLDING COMPANY
    CROSBY, STILLS AND PEPA
    etc.

• I said "ATT-lee-unns" one time.

me too.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    We used to have a 'rap video show' host here in Oz in the early days of cable. Fly honey, but had no clue on names. Said shit like 'Two Pack' on the regular (but that was okay cus to Aussies that sounded right) but the killer was her pronouncing Treach like 'speech'...while interviewing him!!!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I know a dude that, to this day, still refers to that album as "Atlanta Aliens" no matter how many times he is corrected.

I prefer the follow up, Aqua Many.

I know a dude that, to this day, still refers to that album as "Atlanta Aliens" no matter how many times he is corrected.

I prefer the follow up, Aqua Many.

Excuse Aquamen I

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    This is my confession like Usher: the first time I saw Jeru's name in print, I thought "Damaja" was a language other than English and was pronounced in such a way that it rhymed with "Maharaja".

Clowning ensued.

I did too!

Apparently I'm still pronouncing "ATLiens" wrong, according to this thread. What is the correct way?

--so disconnected

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Excuse me, but Im looking for C.-R.-E.-A.-M. 12"?"

"You mean CREAM ?"

"No C.ee - A.r -E.ee - A.a - eM."

"You talmbout CREAM by Wu-Tang?"

"Yeah!!!"

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Do you have Inner City Gryoates?

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Aqua Mini always gets me.

Just for clarification, it's A-T-Elliens right?

• Options
    Possibly one of the easiest names to pronounce in all of hip hop, Fat Joe, was once referred to by one of my friends as 'Joe Da Fat Gangsta".

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Possibly one of the easiest names to pronounce in all of hip hop, Fat Joe, was once referred to by one of my friends as 'Joe Da Fat Gangsta".
    that was how he referred to himself on dimond's 1st lp.

Haha! That's funny. He can't even say his own name right.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I remember when Death Row CDs were the target of all Baptist church people who hated his "message" (as if he had one. He's not a college professor, idiots.).

"Shoop Diggity Dog is making the young kill. That is why we are steam rolling his tapes that we bought"

Doesnt Fat Joe call himself Joe the Fat Gangsta on Shit Iz Real as well?

Heres one for you all to ponder Aussie MC/Producer from the Broken Tooth Crew.... (real dope and dirty hip hop sounds) goes by the name of Ciecmate..... pronounced Checkmate (the weird spelling has something to do with his last name) I thought for years it was prononuced 'Sick Mate' (which is a common aussie slang saying)

And I remember a few kids had dramas with the whole Saafir monkier (I even heard one dude pronounce it so it sounded almost like 'surfer')

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It always did make my blood boil when I hear folks talking about "the Funkadelics"

its bad enough when you hear the letter "s" being added (Donna Summers) on people's names where they're not supposed to be, but I've heard Funkadelic's name pluralized more than any other band

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Here's a couple I've heard. Pharoahe Monk. And years ago, someone thought MC = Mack (a la Mack 10). It was a non-native English speaker, but still...

Here's a couple I've heard. Pharoahe Monk. And years ago, someone thought MC = Mack (a la Mack 10). It was a non-native English speaker, but still...

Probably because of MacDonalds.

• Options

Doesnt Fat Joe call himself Joe the Fat Gangsta on Shit Iz Real as well?

Well I'll be dipped in shit! I must now confess to never listening to Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop from front to back, and honestly can't remember him referring to himself as that in Shit Iz Real because I haven't heard that song in YEARS but I'll take the god SIRUS's word for it. Believe me though, the kid who called him Joe Da Fat Gangsta definitely didn't pick it up from either of those two sources, he just butchered the name.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I once asked a store if they had Flava In Ya Ear by Craig The Mack...