School me on Bill Withers

TurntablistTurntablist 113 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
After undertheradar's post on Still Bill the movie, I want to get back into listening to Bill Wither's music. Now I don't want to cop the greatest hits and just listen to the main tracks, I already have Lovely Day, Use Me etcHowever do you have any tracks which are underrated and excellent in your opinion?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    He only has a few lps, and they don't sell for much.

The first two on Sussex are by far the best.

There are some 80s songs other peoples records.
    Winelight by Grover Washington with 2 of Us.

Help me out with others people.

Have not seen the movie, but I think Columbia simply stopped releasing his records. He would record and deliver per contract, and Columbia would put them on the shelf. Not sure if that stuff has been released on cd more recently. Due to Columbia's assturdness he started putting songs on other peoples records.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    like dan said, get those sussex albums asap.
    you might also want to check the waxpoetics cover story on him they dd a while back...great interview that made me appreciate the guy even more

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Get the "Live at Carnegie Hall". Has a great sound, a great story and is something like a "Best of" without the bad vibes these products usually have.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Get the "Live at Carnegie Hall". Has a great sound, a great story and is something like a "Best of" without the bad vibes these products usually have.

Best version of Grandma's Hands

• Excellent stuff, cheers for the posts. I'll get hold of the Sussex lp's asap, and I'll check out the Carnegie album.
    Thanks again

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

Best version of Grandma's Hands

double

"hope she'll be happier" is my shit....

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts

Absolutely one of my favorite Withers tracks and definitely not one you're going to see on most of the greatest hits albums. Jose Feliciano on guitar! This is from Withers' final album on Sussex, +Justments, and the album has never been released on CD astonishingly.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    he seems like he was a real, real nice dude.

• he seems like he was a real, real nice dude.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There is a surr0und mix of Just As I Am[/b] if you'd like to burn that to a DTS disc:
    http://fyad.org/y97j

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

In the 70s, Withers and his then wife Denis Nicholas (of '227' fame) had a pretty rocky relationship, and his alleged battery of her was a persistent rumor until their divorce, and is still a cloud that hangs over his reputation with some people.

• There is a surr0und mix of Just As I Am[/b] if you'd like to burn that to a DTS disc:
    http://fyad.org/y97j

Cheers for the link, I'm checking it now.

In the 70s, Withers and his then wife Denis Nicholas (of 'Room 222' fame) had a pretty rocky relationship, and his alleged battery of her was a persistent rumor until their divorce, and is still a cloud that hangs over his reputation with some people.

I didn't know they were married. Never looked that deeply into Withers' personal life so... interesting.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Absolutely one of my favorite Withers tracks.

First song I thought of when I opened this thread.

In the 70s, Withers and his then wife Denis Nicholas (of 'Room 222' fame) had a pretty rocky relationship, and his alleged battery of her was a persistent rumor until their divorce, and is still a cloud that hangs over his reputation with some people.

I didn't know they were married. Never looked that deeply into Withers' personal life so... interesting.

I first heard this from my Dentist who was a huge soul and R'n B fan. We were talking about how much we both loved LPs like 'Still Bill', and he was like "it's a shame about all that stuff with his ex wife,etc etc", that the rumors were that he used to beat her up, and how he lost a lot of fans because of all that. The only reference I could find on it online was in a Vibe article on the Chris Brown/Rhianna mess, which basically said that the rumors persisted, but were never substantiated by either Withers or Nicholas.

That said, he does seem like he would be a really down to earth guy, and that's why a rumor like that is so glaring, because it runs so counter to how you percieve him to be. It would be interesting to see if that is addressed in the documentary.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

YES

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I knew Bill Withers, and Chris Brown, you're no Bill Withers...

YES

This entire set is required listening, IMO. Unique and unparralled in so many areas, great singing, perfect songwriting, brilliant players doing their thing, just GREATNESS.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ...and, as I've said before, for a guy who grew up shy with a bad stutter, his rapport with the crowd on the Carnegie Hall album is astounding.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Lovely Day should be banned from Movies.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Ain't No Sunshine"[/b] should be banned from Movies.

• Lovely Day should be banned from Movies.

Agreed.

dr dre should be banned from rapping on remixes of blackstreet songs that use grandma's hands samples

queen pen can stay, for reasons unbeknownst to me

Lovely Day should be banned from Movies.

Oh Fatima!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I have the 'You Got the Stuff' 12 with the long breakdown

everything else is unnnecccescsarry

I need khakis AND soul! The Gap here I come!

that's a banger. How many times has the average american heard that song and still: that's a good song.

Maybe it was the so fresh and so clean dancers; not sure; but that's great.

lovely day.

• played lovely day last night and it killed 'em.

Al Jarreau's Bill Withers album is garbage BTW.

• And yo, if you say you collect records but not even up on ESSENTIAL artists like Bill Withers.......*SMH*

• And yo, if you say you collect records but not even up on ESSENTIAL artists like Bill Withers.......*SMH*

Yeah I only skimmed the surface on Bill , but that post on his film and someone playing it in the background at a mates made me think about it.