The Dream - Love Vs. Money

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    For my mortal enemies (brain, and faux rollz):

All I'm seeing is make Hemol into a straw man, and blow him down with the same insults used in the last thread. But it's cool, cause I know you think very highly of your own opinions. (music you should be listening to says less about music, and more about self-righteousness).

Maybe you guys aren't aware, but for engineers, some albums are benchmarks. They will listen to them to a/b their mixes. People that do live sound in clubs will play certain albums on the system to a/b the mix they're getting. This sounds like one of those albums. That's the point I was making in my first post. My point and Faux Rollz are not mutually exclusive, so butt hurtness needs to be saved for when I tell you worms that Jel is still quietly shitting on this dudes MPC skillz.

Brian, I'm sure if you take the time to do a bit of research you'll find out that this dude went through boards, preamps, and effect units that you wouldn't find on the floor of any guitar center. You can hear it in the record. He did a good job of using that as part of the music though, because using Class A gear doesn't always make the music sound better.

And, in the post right below the one where I said I didn't think this album was that special I said "I changed my mind, there is something special about the tunes," but why pay attention to that one? There's nothing to get polarized about.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    b/w

That's very different from observing that he has taken full advantage of the studio.

If we were in court your objection would be overruled. The following sentence was: "But, Dream actually made this album, and I'm not trying to take away from his accomplishments"

Read up on your readups.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Lets look at the Amy Winehouse phenomenon.

She wasnt the first to go "Retro" but the game took notice and Duffy got some run.

Ill admit that looking at albums by R.Kelly & Mary is bugged because the industry was in a different place then.

Its like tryin to compare LeBron to Oscar Robertson or Fat Lever. You can look at the stats but you have to take their games in its historical context. Different musical/athletic landscapes have to be taken into account.

The-Dream is in the '07 game which is way more fractured than the game R.Kelly came out of. Shit - dude was a Aaron Hall clone on the first album but grew beyond that.
    Guy/Aaron/Teddy had strong hold on the language of the game. Mary J. brought a Hip Hop delivery to her vocals.

Drunk-Blah-blah.....

dude, he wrote 'single ladies' and 'umbrella'. hes the biggest guy out there that isnt ne-yo.

• Clearly, his work as a writer has been more influential than his output as a solo artist.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Not really - his first two singles pretty much owned urban radio for the better part of last year.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I've never heard of this person, but with all the "this might not be the type of music for you" going on I was wondering what type of music it is.

It's popular R&B. Compare to Prince, Beyonce, R. Kelly.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've never heard of this person, but with all the "this might not be the type of music for you" going on I was wondering what type of music it is.

Have you ever heard of Ne-Yo?

NOT SIMILAR!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    NOT SIMILAR!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i disagree that this is a 'mind garden' classic. im not even really sure what that means & kinda get annoyed w/ the distinction after awhile -- im not mad at recognizing the importance/impact/society/community factors when it comes to recording music & in fact im very much NOT an obscurities-only-plz kind of dude. but at a certain point u have to recognize how different this sounds from lots of other things out there. i dont think its nearly as derivative of prince as batmon seems to be implying either -- its obviously there but the style also comes equally from that expansive late 90s ginuwine/timbo production style + the lyrical influence from kells ... imo the first record is pretty game-changing. theres already been imitation joints like jeremih's "birthday sex"

Purple Kisses - Purple Rain
    Fast Car - Little Red Corvette
    Nikki - Darling Nikki

Not Nearly Derivative??

Dude, those are lyrical references intended as a tip of the hat to Prince; none of those Dream tracks actually sound like the Prince records you've paired them with.

For my mortal enemies (brain, and faux rollz):

All I'm seeing is make Hemol into a straw man, and blow him down with the same insults used in the last thread. But it's cool, cause I know you think very highly of your own opinions. (music you should be listening to says less about music, and more about self-righteousness).

Maybe you guys aren't aware, but for engineers, some albums are benchmarks. They will listen to them to a/b their mixes. People that do live sound in clubs will play certain albums on the system to a/b the mix they're getting. This sounds like one of those albums. That's the point I was making in my first post. My point and Faux Rollz are not mutually exclusive, so butt hurtness needs to be saved for when I tell you worms that Jel is still quietly shitting on this dudes MPC skillz.

Brian, I'm sure if you take the time to do a bit of research you'll find out that this dude went through boards, preamps, and effect units that you wouldn't find on the floor of any guitar center. You can hear it in the record. He did a good job of using that as part of the music though, because using Class A gear doesn't always make the music sound better.

And, in the post right below the one where I said I didn't think this album was that special I said "I changed my mind, there is something special about the tunes," but why pay attention to that one? There's nothing to get polarized about.

new worst poast ever

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm feelin' this album. It's on some next level schitt. Hemol could not make this record.

I'm feelin' this album. It's on some next level schitt. Hemol could not make this record.

Even if he had sufficiently expensive equipment?

Even if he had sufficiently expensive equipment?
    Not even with some Large Hadron Collider level schitt.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I do like the umbrella song.

I've heard of ne-yo from it being mentioned on soulstrut and maybe on tv or something. Is it pronounced like "in-ee-yo" or like "I fell down and scraped my knee, yo"?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I do like the umbrella song.

I've heard of ne-yo from it being mentioned on soulstrut and maybe on tv or something. Is it pronounced like "in-ee-yo" or like "I fell down and scraped my knee, yo"?

it's pronounced like Nee-Yow, kind of like a cat.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The-Dream: Love/Hate = Certified classic

The Dream: Love vs Money = barely good,starts great and slowly falls apart

Keri Hilson: In a perfect world = boring..her image and direction is all fucked up.

Jazmine Sullivan: Fearless = decent,focused...nice debut

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The-Dream: Love vs Money = barely good,starts great and slowly falls apart

I forgot I owned this.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

I take it you don't like the modern masterpiece knowed as "Fancy," then? I think the album has a great flow, and I've even grown to like (from "hate" to "don't mind") the bonus track with Lil Jon.

I take it you don't like the modern masterpiece knowed as "Fancy," then? I think the album has a great flow, and I've even grown to like (from "hate" to "don't mind") the bonus track with Lil Jon.

"Fancy" is good....but it's a 6 1/2 minute track stuck between two terrible songs

That Lil Jon song sounds like a parody

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I've received more than a few requests for the Lil Jon song which is strange considering it's a bonus track.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

"Fancy" is good....but it's a 6 1/2 minute track stuck between two terrible songs

That Lil Jon song sounds like a parody
    this is totally backwards -- the last half of the album is by far the best part. 'right side of your brain' is one of the best songs on the album, & its the tracks from 'love vs. money' 1 & 2 through the end of the album (ignoring the lil jon track cuz its balls imo) that make up the real heart of the record.

8. Love vs. Money 9. Love vs. Money: Part 2 10. Fancy 11. Right Side Of My Brain 12. Mr. Yeah 13. Kellys 12 Play

^^^not a weak track in there, & all of them flow perfectly into each other. to be honest i usually skip to this section pretty much every time i listen & ignore most of the 1st half. i think the kanye track is pretty cheeseball. 'rockin that shit' is great of course

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The-Dream: Love/Hate = Certified classic
    do agree the new one is worse than the 1st tho

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    No love for "Take Her Home To My Momma"?

Kelly's 12 Play is the joint too.

do agree the new one is worse than the 1st tho

deej's favs are my least favs. All is right with the world.

Rockin that shit =

walkin on the moon =

my love =

put it down =

sweat it out =

take you home to my momma =

love vs money =

love vs money 2 =

Fancy =

right side =

mr yeah =

12 play =

let me see the booty =

ed p knows what's up--'cept for Mr. Yeah, which is

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

sweat it out =

mr yeah =

12 play =

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    As much as I like The-Dream payin homage to R.Kelly's Classic album, I dont think Kelly's 12 Play is all that.

The reference > the actual song.

I fux w/ Sweat It Out.