The Dream - Love Vs. Money

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The first album is hot but Im not about to place it next to 12Play,Guy's debut,or Mary's first two.

I'd put it next to those four albums without hesitation.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The first album is hot but Im not about to place it next to 12Play,Guy's debut,or Mary's first two.

Private Mind Garden.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Super ignorant, but the building blocks are important, so I say "yay". I wish he would loop up that Dreams break then callbo with Diddy's girls

Private Mind Garden.

olde

Private Mind Garden.

olde

Olde Private Mind Garden

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Not something that I would have checked for normally, but I checked it nonetheless. There's some dope sounds on here, but for the most part it sounds like expensive gear was used to make the record. The sound is pretty heavily defined by the efficiency of the gear. I feel like a lot of people could have made this record if given access to the same equipment, but that's not to detract from dude's accomplishments, cause he actually did do it. Definitely some compelling elements, and interesting compositions, but if its a benchmark I'd say that's more on the part of the engineer.

Did this dude produce "Love in this Club?"

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Changed my mind, there's definitely something different than status quo going on with the tunes.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    hemol, it's not an expensive gear thing. Dream and Tricky Stewart are smart dudes. They know how to make good pop music. I don't think either album is perfect, but they are onto something. In terms of pop music that gets play on the major stations, I really enjoy this stuff. I like Dream's style. I tend to get irked by r+b that has swearing. Not that I mind swearing, but when dudes sing it all soulful and say dumb slang shit it just sounds stupid. I think Dream does it right though.

I'm liking this album more on repeated listens.

And for the Ne-Yo vs The-Dream debate. I think both are talented and I like a lot of Ne-Yo songs, but Dream wins for the fact that he is part of the production. I think Ne-Yo has had his hand in some production, but his big hits have all been produced by someone else. I think Dream wins out because his records sound like full albums and he is involved in the production.

love in this club was polow tha don.

and for the comment about getting sick of his ay ay ay ella ella ad libs. he doesn't do the ella thing much. Maybe once on this album. Everybody does eyyys these days. it's kind of his trademark thing too. He's not really overdoing it. He's doing his thing. That's part of his style. Kind of like Jeezy ad libs.

I'm not mad at a dude for pointing out that he created a catchy phrase. I don't think he beats it into the ground either.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

And he put the song together with stock loops from garage band! LOL!!!

There's more in the song that just the stock loops, but you're right. I can't really blame him for getting paid though. It's just one of those "wish I had done that" things. The drums for Umbrella are also Garage Band or Fruity Loops and they are slowed down. They sound good though.

Not something that I would have checked for normally, but I checked it nonetheless. There's some dope sounds on here, but for the most part it sounds like expensive gear was used to make the record. The sound is pretty heavily defined by the efficiency of the gear. I feel like a lot of people could have made this record if given access to the same equipment, but that's not to detract from dude's accomplishments, cause he actually did do it. Definitely some compelling elements, and interesting compositions, but if its a benchmark I'd say that's more on the part of the engineer.

Hahahahaha

Worst poast ever

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    hemol, it's not an expensive gear thing. Dream and Tricky Stewart are smart dudes.

Talking about different connotation of the word 'sound' here. You can definitely hear the quality of the gear.

The point I was getting at was that a large portion of the quality sound of this record would be lost if it wasn't made on such clean gear. The music itself is strengthened by the kind of quality/clarity that a Class A studio provides. Not saying the music is worthless without the pro studio, just nowhere near as compelling without that synthesis. What he's done is create music that is strengthened by what the studio provides. There's mad music that comes out of pro studios that isn't improved by the studio at all. C7, you know what I'm talking about here?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Hahahahaha

Worst poast ever

Come off it already dude. Shit, at least I'm open minded enough to listen to something outside of my usual suspects and give it an honest chance. Happy to give you a laugh, sorry you got so much bitter superiority swirling in your mind garden.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    hemol, it's not an expensive gear thing. Dream and Tricky Stewart are smart dudes.

Talking about different connotation of the word 'sound' here. You can definitely hear the quality of the gear.

The point I was getting at was that a large portion of the quality sound of this record would be lost if it wasn't made on such clean gear. The music itself is strengthened by the kind of quality/clarity that a Class A studio provides. Not saying the music is worthless without the pro studio, just nowhere near as compelling without that synthesis. What he's done is create music that is strengthened by what the studio provides. There's mad music that comes out of pro studios that isn't improved by the studio at all. C7, you know what I'm talking about here?

How can you imagine what this would sound like on a crappy studio set-up?

I understand the role of quality equipment, but I'm unclear on how that factors into whether or not it's good music.

Hahahahaha

Worst poast ever

Come off it already dude. Shit, at least I'm open minded enough to listen to something outside of my usual suspects and give it an honest chance. Happy to give you a laugh, sorry you got so much bitter superiority swirling in your mind garden.

It's important music that you should be listening to--you don't get extra points for doing so.

Actually, what you said was:

I feel like a lot of people could have made this record if given access to the same equipment

That's very different from observing that he has taken full advantage of the studio.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

and for the comment about getting sick of his ay ay ay ella ella ad libs. he doesn't do the ella thing much. Maybe once on this album. Everybody does eyyys these days. it's kind of his trademark thing too. He's not really overdoing it. He's doing his thing. That's part of his style. Kind of like Jeezy ad libs.

I'm not mad at a dude for pointing out that he created a catchy phrase. I don't think he beats it into the ground either.

I was mainly talking about the first album with the adlib annoyance, I just found it a bit corny, it's more bearable on this one. Either way, one exceptional album and one very good one.

• Check this out folls! The Dream in the studio working on the "Love Vs. Money" album. This dude sure can knock out new songs in a short amount of time. Plaese to watch and discuss......

Doesn't Mr Dream look kinda small next to that MPC? The-Midget-Dream.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hemol, you f*cking clown, do you have any idea of what equipment was used on this record? This shit doesn't sound like anything special was used to produce it because there wasn't anything special used on it to produce it. Yes, it was probably mixed and mastered on some expensive shit but that's not what you said.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    some muthafuckah could go to guitar center and make 90% of this record with shit that's on display and burn that shit to cd with the shitty mac they have setup there

• That whole "equipment" thing is ignorant. Most industry dudes use the same equipment. What you're hearing is song writing with early 90's euro dance synths.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Damn, folls are really feeling this shit? After two listens I have no interest whatsoever in hearing it ever again.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

I think this kind of music might not be for you...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i disagree that this is a 'mind garden' classic. im not even really sure what that means & kinda get annoyed w/ the distinction after awhile -- im not mad at recognizing the importance/impact/society/community factors when it comes to recording music & in fact im very much NOT an obscurities-only-plz kind of dude. but at a certain point u have to recognize how different this sounds from lots of other things out there. i dont think its nearly as derivative of prince as batmon seems to be implying either -- its obviously there but the style also comes equally from that expansive late 90s ginuwine/timbo production style + the lyrical influence from kells ... imo the first record is pretty game-changing. theres already been imitation joints like jeremih's "birthday sex"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    deej bro no one can imitate this album because the equipment used to produce it was too expensive

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Why does he sound so young?

i disagree that this is a 'mind garden' classic. im not even really sure what that means & kinda get annoyed w/ the distinction after awhile -- im not mad at recognizing the importance/impact/society/community factors when it comes to recording music & in fact im very much NOT an obscurities-only-plz kind of dude. but at a certain point u have to recognize how different this sounds from lots of other things out there. i dont think its nearly as derivative of prince as batmon seems to be implying either -- its obviously there but the style also comes equally from that expansive late 90s ginuwine/timbo production style + the lyrical influence from kells ... imo the first record is pretty game-changing. theres already been imitation joints like jeremih's "birthday sex"

Purple Kisses - Purple Rain
    Fast Car - Little Red Corvette
    Nikki - Darling Nikki

Not Nearly Derivative??

Kells + Timbo + Prince = Not Nearly Derivative??

My point is w/ Paradigm Shifts. If dude is that game changin the game takes heed.

The album came out in '07 and dudes havent placed this dude above the playin field.

I watch BET and i havent seen dude yet for this album.

And when u say "imitation jointS" you need to hit me w/ more than one song.

3 at least.

Lets look at the Amy Winehouse phenomenon.

She wasnt the first to go "Retro" but the game took notice and Duffy got some run.

Ill admit that looking at albums by R.Kelly & Mary is bugged because the industry was in a different place then.

Its like tryin to compare LeBron to Oscar Robertson or Fat Lever. You can look at the stats but you have to take their games in its historical context. Different musical/athletic landscapes have to be taken into account.

The-Dream is in the '07 game which is way more fractured than the game R.Kelly came out of. Shit - dude was a Aaron Hall clone on the first album but grew beyond that.
    Guy/Aaron/Teddy had strong hold on the language of the game. Mary J. brought a Hip Hop delivery to her vocals.

Drunk-Blah-blah.....