Went to look at a collection last night

CBearCBear 902 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
So a friend came up to me last night saying that her dad left her some records, and she thinks she might need some help selling them. I went to look... Apparently the grandparents cleared out a basement full of records in Jersey for $.25 a piece.She's in no hurry to sell. Is it a bad time to sell right now? I know a lot of record prices are hurting at the moment, but it seems like beatles collectros always have money. Will it be better in 5 years, 10 years? It's not like selling and stuffing the cash in a mutual fund will do anything these days. Strut consensus? Sit or sell?

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    goodness gracious me.

• i saw some of those beatles albums in a charity shop over here in the UK for ??20!! and they sold pretty much instantly! if charity shops can get that in some backstreets over here then on the bay they'll still get good $

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i was always under the impression that cleanliness is the name of the game when it comes to Beatles stuff. i have sold monos for good money but they werent mint. i have seen Stereo copies with stickers and all that go for way more.

id have her list all the Beatles stuff at once. itll drive up the prices i think.

a lot of that stuff looks in great condition too.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    i was always under the impression that cleanliness is the name of the game when it comes to Beatles stuff. i have sold monos for good money but they werent mint. i have seen Stereo copies with stickers and all that go for way more.

id have her list all the Beatles stuff at once. itll drive up the prices i think.

Yeah, it's all ridiculously clean with all inserts. I only had my camera phone which didn't do them justice. Some of those box sets go for crazy money.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I would build a nuclear shelter at a secret spot in the andes. Then wait for the polar ice to melt and for most US record collections to be flooded and rendered useless. Don't sell right then, wait for the taliban to invade the US and burn all remaining records. Give it another couple of years for demand to rise and then drop them on ebay.

Burn your computer screen after reading this message!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    SELL IMMEDIATELY! TAKE PROFITS!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I would build a nuclear shelter at a secret spot in the andes. Then wait for the polar ice to melt and for most US record collections to be flooded and rendered useless. Don't sell right then, wait for the taliban to invade the US and burn all remaining records. Give it another couple of years for demand to rise and then drop them on ebay.

Frank I think you're being a little dramatic. The Taliban do not have a navy.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Yeah, it's all ridiculously clean with all inserts. I only had my camera phone which didn't do them justice. Some of those box sets go for crazy money.

Can you give a run-down / tracklist of that Hendrix boxset, always looking for a new one, especially with a song I've never heard or was never released.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

"So I hear these old Beatles record can be worth some money!"

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Those boxsets are $. Mylatency's balls dropped in the distance.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

dude... after the polar caps have melted, everybody is going to be floating anyway. They'll just swim over here, AK47 clentched between their teeth, vicious motherfuckers are unstoppable. You'll see! Evildoers always do the unthinkable when they attack, that's the element of surprise.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    so whats the deal with those beatles records?
    why so special despite being clean with stickers on em?
    im completely ignorant on the matter...all i know is the butcher cover

but my first records were of the beatles variety (def not clean no more!)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've been told the Capitol/Apple (U.S.) LPs aren't even worth bothering as far as eBay's concerned. Stores can do alright with em though.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I've been told the Capitol/Apple (U.S.) LPs aren't even worth bothering as far as eBay's concerned. Stores can do alright with em though.

true...I have to sell a bunch of beatles and pretty much the only money items are the box sets (if NM), OG Vee Jay S/T LP, OG "Frank Infield" LPs, Butcher (1st and 2nd state), mono OG parlophone or mono rainbow capitols (if super clean), and numbered mono UK white albums and a few 45 titles....pretty much, all other Beatles records are $10 to $20 records (remember there are literally MILLIONS of those things out there)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

dude... after the polar caps have melted, everybody is going to be floating anyway. They'll just swim over here, AK47 clentched between their teeth, vicious motherfuckers are unstoppable. You'll see! Evildoers always do the unthinkable when they attack, that's the element of surprise.

My guess is that when the polar caps melt, the Taliban will be chilling right where they are. Afghanistan is going be like Hawaii then.

b/w

I just read Three Cups of Tea this weekend. It just reinforces how completely stupid Bush and Co were after 9/11

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I ride for that Bill Nelson lp.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    BIG>BIG>I WILL PAY $100US FOR THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN TELL ME PAYPAL

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    PM me a price for the Pretty Things LP. My Paypal is revving, and ready to ride.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

true...I have to sell a bunch of beatles and pretty much the only money items are the box sets (if NM), OG Vee Jay S/T LP, OG "Frank Infield" LPs, Butcher (1st and 2nd state), mono OG parlophone or mono rainbow capitols (if super clean), and numbered mono UK white albums and a few 45 titles....pretty much, all other Beatles records are $10 to $20 records (remember there are literally MILLIONS of those things out there)

There's a misprint version of the Revolver Lp (Uk press) that fetches about ??200.

I think most of the serious Beatles collectros have almost everything already and they're only interested in minting up, or the serious raer.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    eBay the box sets and bring the others to a record show. No reason to hold off selling them, do it now before the crust starts dying off.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Are there any originals in there, or all 70s and 80s pressings?

Looks like some of those still have the shrink wrap on.
    You will want to take that off right away before it warps the record.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    I ride for that Bill Nelson lp.

i also rate this bill nelson title.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Can you give a run-down / tracklist of that Hendrix boxset, always looking for a new one, especially with a song I've never heard or was never released.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Are there any originals in there, or all 70s and 80s pressings?

Looks like some of those still have the shrink wrap on.
    You will want to take that off right away before it warps the record.

you serious?
    with that logic, any old record i get in shrink would be potentially warped (which i rarely find to be the case)
    whats the deal?

btw
    how do, dan?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

nothing out of the ordinary, I bought it back in the 80s.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=266594

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Holy crap, a number of stereo and mono pressings, import pressings of certain albums, damn.

The Vee Jay album on the upper left, it looks counterfeit. See the Beatles illustration on the cover? The left of that should be a flap, where it would open to be a gatefold. No flap? Counterfeit.

The rest of it is fairly common, although the imported pressings of Meet The Beatles[/b], Rubber Soul[/b], and Abbey Road[/b] (all three are from Japan, correct?), and the German Help![/b] may sell for a bit more depending on condition. If you had a German Horzu of Magical Mystery Tour[/b], you'd have a serious score.

Those Elvis 7" box sets I have not seen in years, you may not be able to sell them for the box alone, but if the 45's inside are of quality, you could tell them for that.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    you will make money with these i guess but it's no great score
    and cosine on the record show idea. that way it's out of your hands on the spot. if you try to sell this shit on ebay you will get 30-40 questions for each record from demented shut-in beatlemaniacs.

They were selling that gold lettering Beatles box at Costco in the mid 80s. I bought 2.
    13 British pressings of the Studio lps, Hey Jude and a Rarities disc. (The rare version has a dog whistle you can't hear!)
    As a box I think it sells for less than $10 a record.
    Best thing to do is take the lps out and sell them individually for $8-$15.

• Costco was around in the mid-80's?

Costco was around in the mid-80's?

Yes.
    I think I started shopping there in Seattle about '84.
    Bought a box there.
    Then went to one in Tucson about a year latter and bought another box.
    They had a mountain of those box sets.
    Sold for about 60-80, which is about what they sell for today I think.

Might have been called Sams Club, or Price Club, but I think it was Costco.