Went to look at a collection last night

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The lowest Beatles Blue Box sold recently for $257. The lowest.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Costco was around in the mid-80's?

Yes, and Wikipedia reveals this:

Founded by James Sinegal and Jeffrey Brotman, Costco opened its first warehouse in Seattle, Washington, on September 15, 1983.[/b]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Well, F*ck me with spoon.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    In the last five days I've found a sealed OG Magical Mystery Tour and a mint first press Sgt. Peppers (US stereo) still in shrink at two different thrift stores around town. Also a NM mono Rubber Soul and a VG++ Hard Days Night at anther spot. This after not seeing any Beatles records for weeks...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    PM me a price for the Pretty Things LP. My Paypal is revving, and ready to ride.

That's the later Dutch press. Pay no more than $25. Really, $20.

Worth getting, though - you don't see ANY pressings of that LP around too often.

And it is much better than it's reputation!

You know, I love the Beatles as much (or more) as the next man, but
    there is something sad about watching Soul Strut foam at the mouth over
    a bunch of Beatles LP's, rare pressings or not.

B/W

I got the 11 LP blue box set for Christmas, 1985(?) when I was 15 ...
    unfortunately, I didn't learn how to take care of records until I was 27
    or so ... I destroyed that box set. I can still remember the LP's
    from it lying out of their sleeves on my bedroom floor for weeks at a time.
    The only record I have left from the set is Revolver, and the only
    reason I still have that copy is because it is too trashed to sell. I had to
    re-purchase every LP in that set over the past 20 years.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Seriously. Such a bad look.

Especially the dude that busted out the Gameover and Facemelt graemlins.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    ^^^ LYING TO KICK IT ^^^

Trust me when I say that it's no mystery where all the "WANTED: BEATLES RECORDS! TOP$$$PAID" flyers I see all over Harlem are coming from.

But here's a tip, dude - I'm not saying our neighborhood has one-dimensional tastes in music, but you might want to focus your efforts a little further downtown.

^^^ LYING TO KICK IT ^^^

Trust me when I say that it's no mystery where all the "WANTED: BEATLES RECORDS! TOP$$$PAID" flyers I see all over Harlem are coming from.

But here's a tip, dude - I'm not saying our neighborhood has one-dimensional tastes in music, but you might want to focus your efforts a little further downtown.

Haha... didn't we already have this debate where I pointed to soul/jazz covers of Beatles tunes as evidence of their massive Black audience?

VINDICATED BY MY FLYER CAMPAIGN!

Haha... didn't we already have this debate where I pointed to soul/jazz covers of Beatles tunes as evidence of their massive Black audience?

VINDICATED BY MY FLYER CAMPAIGN!

I have to admit I liked it when listening to an old WVON "Good Guys"
    aircheck from 1970, and dude dropped Lennon's "Instant Karma" right in the
    middle of Tyrone Davis and the Delfonics, like it weren't no thing.

Payola? Or did Lennon just have it like that?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

You been watching re runs of Oz?

• In the last five days I've found a sealed OG Magical Mystery Tour and a mint first press Sgt. Peppers (US stereo) still in shrink at two different thrift stores around town. Also a NM mono Rubber Soul and a VG++ Hard Days Night at anther spot. This after not seeing any Beatles records for weeks...

I don't see Beatles records at thrift stores -- ever. Maybe 20 or less per year? And they're always always always wrecked.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

No shit. I know that the Fab Four will always be collectible, but when I saw the title of the post, followed up by the same old Beatles records that everybody gets wet over, I was like: "...ehhh, JUST the Beatles? Nothing more obscure than that?"

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Some of you act like you come across mint beatles collections all the time with all inserts perfectly intact. Like it's nothing. Salty old dudes been on the strut too long. That's at least $2,000 of records that fit in the passenger seat of my car. But, whatever. IT'S JUST BEATLES.

That wasn't a sort either. That was the entire collection, and I thought it was note-worthy. Some old dude took a stab a long time ago at what might be worth money in 20 years, so he could leave it for his daughter. He could have done better, but he wasn't that far off the mark.

Sorry I wasted some of your precious, precious soul strut reading time with my little dude drivel.

Thanks to those that offered good advice. I already let Agent45 know it's a later press.

Some note worthy things out of the collection:

Most of those Beatles were Capitol Rainbow label. 3 of them were Japanese. The Floyd box set goes for about $600, and the MFSL stones box set for about $500 or at least they have in the past. One of the Meet the Beatles is a very early press as denoted by "Beatles" being written in green, and goes for about $150. Most of them were standard $20 pieces due to just being in really nice condition. It was exciting for me and I know way more about Beatles records than I did going into it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    In the last five days I've found a sealed OG Magical Mystery Tour and a mint first press Sgt. Peppers (US stereo) still in shrink at two different thrift stores around town. Also a NM mono Rubber Soul and a VG++ Hard Days Night at anther spot. This after not seeing any Beatles records for weeks...

I don't see Beatles records at thrift stores -- ever. Maybe 20 or less per year? And they're always always always wrecked.

I'm almost positive most Goodwills and Salvation Armies have employees pull Elvis/Beatles/Stones before they ever hit the floor.

You been watching re runs of Oz?

Never seen an episode of Oz.

I had a friend who used that line all the time back in the 70s.

Some of you act like you come across mint beatles collections all the time with all inserts perfectly intact. Like it's nothing. Salty old dudes been on the strut too long. That's at least $2,000 of records that fit in the passenger seat of my car. But, whatever. IT'S JUST BEATLES.

That wasn't a sort either. That was the entire collection, and I thought it was note-worthy. Some old dude took a stab a long time ago at what might be worth money in 20 years, so he could leave it for his daughter. He could have done better, but he wasn't that far off the mark.

Sorry I wasted some of your precious, precious soul strut reading time with my little dude drivel.

Dude, relax. I'm just one of the people that is more interested when
    people find interesting, scarce or obscure music to add to their collections
    and listen to. Cool, you bought a bunch of records for price a and will be
    able to sell them for price b(!) ... if I'm mistaken, and you are a big Beatles
    fan and this is all stuff you were really after, I apologize. But even then
    my comment was directed at all the people fawning over your find and not you,
    and I know that 90% of them were like "DAMN I WISH I HAD THAT FLOYD BOX SO I
    COULD SELL IT!"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm just one of the people that is more interested when
    and listen to.
    I'm more interested in obscene profit.

I'm almost positive most Goodwills and Salvation Armies have employees pull Elvis/Beatles/Stones before they ever hit the floor.

As a former thrift store employee, I know this as fact. What always amazes me, at least locally, is what makes it on the floor, and that sometimes keeps me going. Today I went to the trusty Pasco Goodwill and there were a few Korean albums (pop maybe?) and they were on the South Korean division of EMI. But over in the CD section, quite a few CD's released in 2008, which surprised me.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

COULD SELL IT!"

It was intended for a few folks. I'm not making money on this. I'm only helping her sell. I was mostly blown away by the condition. Dude had a playing copy and a safe keeping copy of everything. That's why I posted. I was excited and my friends wouldn't have appreciated the find. I'm not into the Beatles. It was fun to spend a day demystifying the intricacies of Beatles records. I can see now how people dedicate as much time as they do to it. If they were mine, I'd sell the box sets, and the trade the Beatles to mylatency for raer.

I respect your dedication to the soul of the game.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    you will make money with these i guess but it's no great score

CBear: if your post was directed at this dude ^ tell that motherfucker straight up.

I would.

Ha - I've just got a chip on my shoulder with Beatles records,
    having worked in record stores and dealing with all the details
    you mentioned ... ASCAP locations on the back cover and shit.
    Selling Beatles records on eBay can be depressing.

Hey, like I said, I grew up on that Beatles LP box set. Played into the ground.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I can see now how people dedicate as much time as they do to it.

Yikes.

Ha - I've just got a chip on my shoulder with Beatles records,
    having worked in record stores and dealing with all the details
    you mentioned ... ASCAP locations on the back cover and shit.
    Selling Beatles records on eBay can be depressing.

That, and the whole "hot stampers" thing.

That, and the whole "hot stampers" thing.
    Have we had a BetterRecords or hot stamper thread?

Should we start one?

COULD SELL IT!"

It was intended for a few folks. I'm not making money on this. I'm only helping her sell. I was mostly blown away by the condition. Dude had a playing copy and a safe keeping copy of everything. That's why I posted. I was excited and my friends wouldn't have appreciated the find. I'm not into the Beatles. It was fun to spend a day demystifying the intricacies of Beatles records. I can see now how people dedicate as much time as they do to it. If they were mine, I'd sell the box sets, and the trade the Beatles to mylatency for raer.

I hope you are not pissed at me for laughing at this collection.

Your first post was just a lot of pictures of things that were sold as collectibles.

I have a distaste for that market.
    I also have a love/hate relation with the Beatles market.

The Beatles recorded about 120 songs, all easily available.
    Everything else is variations.
    The market is strong because so many people want near mint copies of the variations.
    I see Beatles collectibles all the time.
    When I get them I sell them at a fraction of the top ebay prices.
    Usually I don't get them because the seller has an inflated idea of the value.

If you had given us details about what variations you had there, that there were doubles on all titles and shared some arcane Beatles info we would have had more to talk about.

Have you removed the shrink wrap yet?

All that said I have a lot of appreciation for the research Beatles collectors do.
    We had very little of that kind of research in this country for soul music before Wax Poetics came along and we could do a lot more.

RAGING CRUST

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Ha! Listen dude, this collection might be worth great money, and at .25 a piece I am sure you (or your friend, or your sister, or whatever - not really clear on that part) will cake out. Good for you.

But I agree with Dan - Beatles collectibles are just not very interesting to me. To make a whole thread about it, rather than say just a post in a finds thread, is basically asking for people to comment. And if you know this site, which you do, you know how this is going to go down.

You didn't write, "wow this sure was cool finding out all the variations", or "it was ill how this guy kept a keeper copy and a player copy", or even "look at this great condition". The post showed us some ultimate crusty shit with no explanation whatsoever except "Look! $$$$$$".

So I am yawning in your general direction. And I shant apologize for it.

You didn't write, "wow this sure was cool finding out all the variations", or "it was ill how this guy kept a keeper copy and a player copy", or even "look at this great condition". The post showed us some ultimate crusty shit with no explanation whatsoever except "Look! $$$$$$".

Actually, I believe the initial poast contained two brief though forceful comments on the significance of the find: and

I'm still wondering how a bunch of Beatles box sets brought an end to the game.