Saba = Unemployed

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Maybe NOW you can spend some time updating yr blog.
    20-30 brazilian raers a month just insnt cutting it any more.
    PLaese to increase frequency.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Doesn't anyone see this as a problem? I can't understand why a business/firm would put a 75k hold on anything. Like Saba said.. He could just take the money and still find another job. In fact, if we were so inclined, we could send them this post in an email to HR describing their poor practice in writing.

Because if they totally screw me, they will have no credibility when they try to recruit new assoiciates in the future. So they have to kiss me while they screw me, to make it nice. They have to maintain a reputation with the schools.

Thank goodness my practice is recession-proof. : )

Criminals! I knew I should have done more criminal law.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Thank goodness my practice is recession-proof. : )

Criminals! I knew I should have done more criminal law.

No but good guess.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I could live for 3-5 years with that flow.

• Has to be divorce...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Saba does your 75k come with health insurance? Or does your wife?

Cause they say sometimes, a Democrat is just a Republican who got sick. Jussayin...

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    saba you should pay raj to make this thread a sticky

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Congratulations. Enjoy the freedom.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    My offer was deferred until fall 2010 so after I leave work to study for the bar in May - I'm done. The good news is that I get paid a stipend of $75,000 to sit in a holding pattern for a year. But it still sucks.

Let the revelling in my misfortune begin.

I guess you could always sell your record collection and buy my house....

For real, that doesnt sound like a misfortune to me. Unemployment, as I know it, is more of the 'we won't need as of next week', 'please leave the premises withing 15 minutes' etc type situations where your left ass out... maybe 2 weeks pay and a reference letter.

$75,000 is a good years salary, Im sure there ppl actually working who wouldnt even get close to that, although Im not too clued up on what 'holding pattern' means. What do you have to give them to get the money? What do you sacrifice?

at the same time, a part of me is thinking... on this post....

• Saba you should take that $75,000 hook up with GhostFace, get a couple big eights cook and cut that shit. You won't have to work for 5 more years with the profits.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I hope you fail the bar and that your offer is rescinded.

• I hope you fail the bar and that your offer is rescinded.
    This could've easily been the first reply, but alas, 40-something posts later...

• I hope you fail the bar and that your offer is rescinded.

That's not nice....

b/w America needs a new Roy Cohn, doesn't it???

I'm going to take my $75K and then also file for unemployment and live on the dole for alap, and Obama's gunna hook me up and cancel my student loan.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'm going to take my $75K and then also file for unemployment and live on the dole for alap, and Obama's gunna hook me up and cancel my student loan.

Rich people shouldn't have to take out loans for school. You are really letting the sides down, bro.

The interest on a subsidized stafford loan is not only de minimis, but it doesnt even begin to accrue until six months after I graduate. I invested the money and made enough money to buy myself several Orlann Divo OGs.

Some Duke & Duke moves right there.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Dude, I almost hope the economy gets bad enough so that people like you have to actually get their hands dirty and sore with some real physical labor...

As others have said before, this thread nicely illuminates what's wrong with the way the coorporate world handles its money and their shameless attitude about it.

• As others have said before, this thread nicely illuminates what's wrong with the way the coorporate world handles its money and their shameless attitude about it.
    Basically.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

As others have said before, this thread nicely illuminates what's wrong with the way the coorporate world handles its money and their shameless attitude about it.
    Basically.

That's quite haterlicious.

They're essentially paying him to stay open until next year. Perhaps they're thinking the economy will be better by then. If he says his salary would be $150,000 a year, they're paying him 6 months. Shit, I got more than six months being laid off - and he doesn't know necessarily that they will hire him at the end of the year. Of course, difference being that I didn't make $150,000 a year. Or half of that. Ha.

Whining about "only" getting $75,000 is kind of silly, but to hate on the guy because he is - or could be - well paid is stupid. I'm sure most (if not all) people on here would love to get $75,000. If you're sad about it, go to law school.

• Whining about "only" getting $75,000 is kind of silly
    Especially when it's the topic of your thread. With things the way they are economically, it just seems to be in real poor taste. Not hate, just saying.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    I'm sure most (if not all) people on here would love to get $75,000. If you're sad about it, go to law school.

no, don't. there are too many lawyers. ditch digging is a better career right now.

saba- why do i get the sense that the only reason for this thread is so that you can gloat about getting $75 k for doing no work. as you say, the 75k is a gift, even if you decide to take another job. so, shouldn't we really be saying F*ck you, you lucky bastard???

btw,your market rate is what it is. if you were offered 150k there is a very good chance that after a reasonable job search, you should find something in that range. fortunately, although your old for a law student, your an asset in a down market since big firms can pay you less than seasoned associates.

good luck/congratulations

but....i felt about the same reading your original post as i did that op-ed in the nyt from the aig vp who was salty about giving up his bonus. no doubt the guy did work...but he took the risk when he signed up for a $1 salary in a corp that was destined for bankruptcy. don't think many new yorkers shed a tear for this guy giving back 750K.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I wish you nothing but the worst. May the wind always be at your face and may your thumb remain planted firmly in your ass.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i think saba's earnest trolling is hilarious
    but then again i usually root for the bad guys in movies

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Well at least this gives you a year and half of not having to wipe the partners' asses for them.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Post up a pix of your 75,000 cheque or your soft!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    From an online etiquette guide:

"Now, we???ll talk a little about salary etiquette in a broader context. You see, it???s not polite to talk about salaries unless you???re making an offer, receiving one, or negotiating a change in one. Most companies will fire employees who share their compensation details with other employees or discuss them publicly. It???s especially unprofessional to publish those details publicly."

Anybody know what firm he works for?
    Somebody PLEASE forward this thread to them.
    Saba is like Summer Vacation.....
    NO CLASS!

• y'all some hatterz. let the bol stunt. that's what hip-hop is all about. fall back or fall back. Find him in the streets making it rain on these hoes.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    From an online etiquette guide:

"Now, we???ll talk a little about salary etiquette in a broader context. You see, it???s not polite to talk about salaries unless you???re making an offer, receiving one, or negotiating a change in one. Most companies will fire employees who share their compensation details with other employees or discuss them publicly. It???s especially unprofessional to publish those details publicly."

Anybody know what firm he works for?
    Somebody PLEASE forward this thread to them.
    Saba is like Summer Vacation.....
    NO CLASS!

This is not etiquette.
    This is the bosses controlling the working the people.

I thank Saba for his honesty.
    (Actually, he could be lying about the whole thing, wouldn't surprise me.)
    Any one here who does not make 150,000 or more a year should start asking for a raise. You know you are worth more than Saba.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Any one here who does not make 150,000 or more a year should start asking for a raise. You know you are worth more than Saba.

Wow.....I didn't realize you pulled in that kind of cash....what else do you do besides selling records to get paid??