Saba = Unemployed

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
My offer was deferred until fall 2010 so after I leave work to study for the bar in May - I'm done. The good news is that I get paid a stipend of $75,000 to sit in a holding pattern for a year. But it still sucks.Let the revelling in my misfortune begin.

Comments

• The good news is that I get paid a stipend of $75,000 to sit in a holding pattern for a year.

Wasteful spending...This is what is wrong with corporate culture...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    My offer was deferred until fall 2010 so after I leave work to study for the bar in May - I'm done. The good news is that I get paid a stipend of $75,000 to sit in a holding pattern for a year. But it still sucks.

Let the revelling in my misfortune begin.

I'd take $75,000 a year to work.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    My offer was deferred until fall 2010 so after I leave work to study for the bar in May - I'm done. The good news is that I get paid a stipend of $75,000 to sit in a holding pattern for a year. But it still sucks.

I remember a few months ago predicting that you would not be successful in your quest for employment status within a prestigious law-firm.

It's interesting that you would bring your faliure to the on-line community for impending ridicule.

My sister seems pretty busy at Weil.......

The fact that you mention an actual $$ amount is tacky beyond belief, but predictible that you would do that.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    id take half that to work 45 hrs a week

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

I remember a few months ago predicting that you would not be successful in your quest for employment status within a prestigious law-firm.

It's interesting that you would bring your faliure to the on-line community for impending ridicule.

I was successful, I just have to wait.

and Weil is definitely an exception to the rule right now. Your sister is lucky.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    technically, you are unemployed
    but....
    you have a job waiting for you and 75Gs to study for your BAR Exam?

How does it suck?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

If it makes you feel any better I'm unemployed and my kicked-to-the-curb money was not near as generous. It was ok, but not THAT ok.

And I have no bar exam waiting on the other side.

If you were successful you would be working right now. You seem to have come to grips with the fact that there are more talented people than you who got the offer already, so why not admit that you failed?

I would be willing to wager that you do not get the offer once your year is up, this salary seems like a pity F*ck to me.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You can always volunteer for America.

but....

How does it suck?

1. I would make twice that if I worked (although I can still work and keep the money so if I go out and get a job I can make more).

2. A lot can happen between now and Fall 2010, so it may not be safe to sit around and wait.

What does your hot wife think about this?

but....

How does it suck?

1. I would make twice that if I worked (although I can still work and keep the money so if I go out and get a job I can make more).

2. A lot can happen between now and Fall 2010, so it may not be safe to sit around and wait.
    didn't understand the situation from your first post

the offer is not guaranteed?
    they basically told you that they will make an offer in 2010?

yeah, that sounds like BS, no need to wait around for them dude, wouldn't it be nice to have some offers lined up in case you want them to counter?

If you were successful you would be working right now. You seem to have come to grips with the fact that there are more talented people than you who got the offer already, so why not admit that you failed?

I would be willing to wager that you do not get the offer once your year is up, this salary seems like a pity F*ck to me.

First. I am working right now.
    Second. We all got offers.
    Third. We all got deferred.
    Fourth. I would not take the bet on the last point.

Keep trying with the "more tallented" and "admit I failed" stuff though. Its a nice effort.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I would be willing to wager that you do not get the offer once your year is up, this salary seems like a pity F**k to me.

I think he got the offer, but his start date was deferred.

There is a lot of this going on in the firm world right now. I doubt it's specific to him--more likely all incoming associates in his firm received the same treatment, or at least all those within his practice group did.

LOL. She is prepared to row the boat for a while.

I would be willing to wager that you do not get the offer once your year is up, this salary seems like a pity F**k to me.

There is a lot of this going on in the firm world right now. I doubt it's specific to him--more likely all incoming associates in his firm received the same treatment, or at least all those within his practice group did.

SABA-APOLOGIST REVEALED!

LOL. She is prepared to row the boat for a while.

So are you saying that after she rows the boat for a "while" she will eventually jump ship if you don't get your offer?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

SABA-APOLOGIST REVEALED!

Not really.

But I've seen enough other people in the firm world impacted by the recession through no fault of their own to not view it as a laughing matter.

SABA-APOLOGIST REVEALED!

Not really.

But I've seen enough other people in the firm world impacted by the recession through no fault of their own to not view it as a laughing matter.

I know. Its totally Obama's fault.

I'm not laughing either, he specifically asked us to "revel in his misfortune" so I'm obliging.

I've had many friends laid off recently and my heart goes out to them. Nobody is immune.

Can you post a photo of your hot wife holding your first deferral paystub and some latin raer in her other hand?

topless of course

Can you post a photo of your hot wife holding your first deferral paystub and some latin raer in her other hand?

you want a picture of my wife with my stub in her hand?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    $75,000 is a lot of money to a lot of people. unemployed or not you should be a little more humble these days.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    If the impact of the recession on me consisted solely of $75,000 to essentially stay on the low and study for the bar, I would consider myself pretty fortunate. That's kind of impact I could get with.

$75,000 is a lot of money to a lot of people. unemployed or not you should be a little more humble these days.

I agree, it could be alot worse. If I were really devestated by it, I wouldnt be talking about it. But it still sucks. But, I fell really bad for the mid-level associates that are all getting laid off. It will be much worse for them. At least, I still have an offer for 2010 - whatever that's worth.

And Latin raer in the other hand, yes please. I think this would only enhance your on-line persona that you have so carefully crafted.

• Doesn't anyone see this as a problem? I can't understand why a business/firm would put a 75k hold on anything. Like Saba said.. He could just take the money and still find another job. In fact, if we were so inclined, we could send them this post in an email to HR describing their poor practice in writing.

And Latin raer in the other hand, yes please. I think this would only enhance your on-line persona that you have so carefully crafted.

Impossible. She will need both hands to hold my stub.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Large defense firms all over the country are taking a pounding from the economic downturn and laying tons of people off (from support staff to partner level). I would hazard a guess that most of you dudes could give two shits about lawyers being laid off, but it's kind of scary to see law firms that have been around for more than 50 years just collapse and go out of business.

Saba - Maybe you should just take an extended vacation after you take the Bar and enjoy life for a little bit. No need to rush into firm life.

Thank goodness my practice is recession-proof. : )