mf doom about the imposters

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
from rolling stone.......???I tell you one thing: when you come to a Doom show, come expecting to hear music, don???t come expecting to see. You never know who you might see. It has nothing to do with a visual thing. Use your mind and think. I might be there. Next time I do a show, I might tell everybody to close they eyes. Use your own mind???s eye. That???s better than a camera phone, know what I???m sayin??????? ???The Doom live experience caused controversy in 2007, when the highly acclaimed lyricist behind Madvillainy and The Mouse and the Mask allegedly sent an impostor to perform several of his dates in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Furious crowds booed and took their rage to the Internet, reporting that the impostor lip-synced to MF Doom???s songs. Self-proclaimed super-villain Doom posted no response to his fan???s rage until now, when he tells Rolling Stone that he couldn???t care less.???Everything that we do is villain style,??? Doom says. ???Everybody has the right to get it or not get it. Once I throw it out, it???s there for interpretation. It might???ve seemed like it didn???t go well, but how do we know that wasn???t just pre-orchestrated so that we???re talking about it now? I tell you one thing: People are asking more now for live shows and I???m charging more, so it must???ve worked somewhere.???

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If he sent out imposters to do his shows like Dr.Doom has robots to represent him, thats brilliant.

If he's hiding behind that concecpt after that fact cause he was lazy/sick.

That's wack.

• TahneeTahnee 46 Posts
    you forgot to add the part where he said he voted for mccain.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    New DOOM, havent listened yet.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4pxdhb

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Not really any way for us to know though, right? No narration blocks in the corners of life.

In the end--this end at least, we'll have to wait to see how it pans out in the long run--he's playing his cards right. Pulling the I'm an artist trump card ala Duchamp seems to be working if he's getting paid more. If nothing else it shows that he's intelligent, and savy enough to spin it in his favor.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    You'd have to be pretty f*cking naive to buy this line of crap.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    this would work well as a concept for my cubicle job.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Steal this dude's music. Villain style, everybody has the right to get it. I'm just putting that out there for interpretation.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Steal this dude's music. Villain style, everybody has the right to get it. I'm just putting that out there for interpretation.

Ha! It would be sweet justice if someone else started using his formula without Doom's endorsement.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Ha! It would be sweet justice if someone else started using his formula without Doom's endorsement.

Why not just do pro quality knock offs of his music, hack into his labels email account, and start intercepting all his orders from shops and distributors?

I definitely don't buy into this dude at all. Never liked him, but if he can come out of this impostor scandal on top then I can't hate on him for being savvy.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    This shit is so straight up disrespectful towards fans, and this is for someone who rides for Doomsday hard (no ayo).

Couching your disrespect towards the people who support you as some sort of performance art, comic-inspired or not, is a new low. Dude ain't getting a dollar off me again...

• 1 pager

• I likeded the MadVillian album, Victor Vaughn and thats about it.. I am over it now though. Its dated

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I don't pay to see someone in a mask pace back and forth on stage to a DAT tape. If I did, I suppose it shouldn't really matter who the person behind the mask is.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    a hiphop head friend recently quoted doom as saying "i am out to destroy hiphop". ok. interesting. seems like a worthy endeavor.

i cant say ive fucked with his output the last few years...but i'll always be a fan of doomsday, black bastards and a couple other things like that.

rappers are often on some 'dont give a F*ck' 'im my own man' shit while working within a big corporate industry that pays them/pimps them. you could argue about the sell out aspects of that. doom is no dummy and i think he's aware of those type of dynamics. might as well be dark and brooding and actually be self destructive about something in an orignal way, rather than champion black on black crime and misogyny. maybe doom is making money on his own terms?

sorry if im generalizing. just stream of consciousness.
    i would definitely not pay to see doom these days. i think its funny as helll that he's still getting booked. and not sure why, but im not mad at him.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I can't lie. I think its funny. His excuse is stupid, but letting somebody else do your show because, fuckit, he's wearing a mask anyways is just funny to me.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I have a photo of doom..

Me too...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

rappers are often on some 'dont give a F*ck' 'im my own man' shit while working within a big corporate industry that pays them/pimps them. you could argue about the sell out aspects of that. doom is no dummy and i think he's aware of those type of dynamics. might as well be dark and brooding and actually be self destructive about something in an orignal way, rather than champion black on black crime and misogyny. maybe doom is making money on his own terms?

I feel you on the last sentiments here, but isn't he running his own label now?

Precarious territory, as once he starts to slip there are probably a lot of people that'd be happy to pull him down.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    as i said...seems self destructive. id imagine hes got things planned out. dude is not dumb. vic van doom probably owns real estate in latvia or something.

also, i like the idea of putting on your own doom shows. that would be hilarious. but be prepared for trouble. ive seen that crew deliver serious speed knots to antagonists.
    cosmo, can i get a witness?

• That record took about one weekend to make, or at least sounds like it.

are you referring to Doomsday?

after reading that quote, i feel kind of stupid actually having bought a new copy of it the other day. pretty much not checking for him anymore though (haven't for several years now)

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    doomsday is classic in my mindgarden. everything else, meh.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

anyone know whats up with the MF Grimm/MF Doom spilt EP that has remixes of Op Doomsday?

???

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    All I know about the guy is the mask. When the real(?) him came out on stage at the Verocai show's opener a couple of weeks ago, I heard scattered yells of "fake!" haha! GWAR/Slipknot/Buckethead/etcetc should('ve) do(ne) this once in a while

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

anyone know whats up with the MF Grimm/MF Doom spilt EP that has remixes of Op Doomsday?

???
    it's got them playing chess on it? brick records?

???
    it's got them playing chess on it? brick records?

yep

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i remember giving it a listen, and the rmxs seemed pretty eh/weak.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

???

str8 garbage

its ok, its got the instrumentals and i think there is a Grimm song on there thats pretty cool, if i recall correctly.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Im sure some Japanese cat is already working on that! The Doom Tribute show.....

Actually since Australia has the most tribute bands in the world I think we should have a crack at it... (Sheep? Kinetic? You down? )

All you really got to do is put on the mask, smoke a gang of weed and mumble your way thru a bunch of low fi beats....

• i stand corrected

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Jake One has a beat on his new album.