mf doom about the imposters

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Jake One has a beat on his new album.

so we should all just buy that mp3 only, and download the rest for free.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i copped the album. jake's beats seem like the only thing that takes doom's style to another plateau stylisticly speaking. check "microwave mayo" and "more rhymin".

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Ostensibly, laziness = art

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    he would get more awesome points in my book if he was all like "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THAT IS ME!"

i wonder if Doom's fans went to Disney Land and found out that Tigger wasn't the REAL Tigger, just a guy in a costume. Would they then be bummed out too?

• people go to rap shows?

must be a white thing

people go to rap shows?

must be a white thing

soulstrut never ceases to amaze me

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    doomsday is classic

• (mf doom=overrated)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    (mf doom=overrated)

• I expected to get my head chopped off for that statement. I've just never understood why so many have a hard-on for dude.

I expected to get my head chopped off for that statement. I've just never understood why so many have a hard-on for dude.

well im the resident hatter here.....

Dudes thought KMD was all that then the next album got shelved which made kids salivate for 10 years and shit.

Dude re-emerges w/ an alias and drops a Brilliant Classic album.

Then he later joins up w/ Dilla and that adds more foamin at the mouf even though its a mediocre set.

The shelved album gets released and dummies think its a hidden gem.

MMMFood is pretty good to me.

Overall he's good, but not in my top 10 mcs/producers.

Semi-Original presentation in the game.

I ride, but wont make him out to be more that what it is.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yo, do you not like Black Bastards?

I had a dubbed tape of it way prior to its "official re-release" and think it's amazing... as good as (maybe better than) Mr. Hood.

I had a dubbed tape of it way prior to its "official re-release" and think it's amazing... as good as (maybe better than) Mr. Hood.

After Tribe/JBs/De-LA/Brand Nubian, KMD was mad derivative to me.

Never felt them.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Doom has one of my favorite lines ever in rap music: "Only in America can you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct."

Doom has one of my favorite lines ever in rap music: "Only in America can you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct."

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

After Tribe/JBs/De-LA/Brand Nubian, KMD was mad derivative to me.

Never felt them.

Eh. I don't really think they were derivative. They were down with different science (that Ansar shit) and to me were a little more rough around the edges.

Black Bastards is really dark, which is why it appeals to me a little more than Mr Hood, which I also like a lot.

• Then he later joins up w/ Dilla and that adds more foamin at the mouf even though its a mediocre set.

what album is this? do u mean madlib (madvillian)?

Then he later joins up w/ Dilla and that adds more foamin at the mouf even though its a mediocre set.

what album is this? do u mean madlib (madvillian)?

my bad.....same fan base

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yeah second that on blkbstrds. we got a hold of that cassette about the same time as wutang came out maybe? there was a trio of tapes that were all ridiculous.

black bastards is just about my favorite hiphop record. there are extremely few wack moments on that record. its dark, moody, fun, hyped without being all shouty (a miracle at the time), lowfi, great loops and samples and snippets...and it all seemed to make a coherent whole,sign of a great album, not just a collection of songs.

honestly, im not that crazy about mr.hood. its cool.
    doomsday was solid...there was some shit on there i do not listen to though.

but blkbstrds?
    when an album ends like this...oh man

• cool, thought i was tripping.

there are extremely wack moments on that record

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I expected to get my head chopped off for that statement. I've just never understood why so many have a hard-on for dude.

Dudes thought KMD was all that then the next album got shelved which made kids salivate for 10 years and shit.

I agree with almost all of this.

I'll show my age and say, Doomsday came out when I was in 11th grade, I copped the vinyl at Footwork, and it had a real impact on me. Not sure if you were being sarcastic with the capitalized Classic, but its a personal classic for me. The line Cosmo quoted was definitely a favorite.

I pretty much thought MMMFood was trash. I assume your talking about madlib, not dilla, but Madvillian for me was the only other real high point once he became Doom. Everything else seemed like part of a slow, steady decline, but I thought his style just worked over Madlibs beats. Not at all on the same classic level as Doomsday, but still a high point.

Not feeling any other lps, couple tracks here and there. But my personal attachment to Doomsday for some reason makes me real pissed that dude would try to play his fans with fake shows, and then defend it on some half-ass bullshit, like "you'll hear the music regardless". GTFOHWTBS...

wow. to me that shit is ridiculous. the bassline is kindof broke on that youtube clip.

biz,krs,kain the blue guerilla all rolled up into one
    been sober since the last blunt dried up

well, anyway. to each his own

I agree with almost all of this.

I'll show my age and say, Doomsday came out when I was in 11th grade, I copped the vinyl at Footwork, and it had a real impact on me. Not sure if you were being sarcastic with the capitalized Classic, but its a personal classic for me. The line Cosmo quoted was definitely a favorite.

I pretty much thought MMMFood was trash. I assume your talking about madlib, not dilla, but Madvillian for me was the only other real high point once he became Doom. Everything else seemed like part of a slow, steady decline, but I thought his style just worked over Madlibs beats. Not at all on the same classic level as Doomsday, but still a high point.

Not feeling any other lps, couple tracks here and there. But my personal attachment to Doomsday for some reason makes me real pissed that dude would try to play his fans with fake shows, and then defend it on some half-ass bullshit, like "you'll hear the music regardless". GTFOHWTBS...

As a Comic book head, Doomsday's Fantastic Four/Dr.Doom samples are DOPE.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I got a hold of the Black Bastards cassette as well in 94.
    On S.C.U.M. Records if I recall.
    BB & Mr Hood fukk my head up to this day.

• I am a fan of some of the guys work, but nowadays I don't know if the man knows his own bounds. This sounds like a case of a bad hustle disguised as an Andy Kaufman bite by having someone else play your show.

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    this would work well as a concept for my cubicle job.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

that is real real entertaining

dooms got lyrics for decades