Bidding to Remove Buy-It-Nows (eBay-r)

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone do this as a strategic move?

Comments

• 3rdshow3rdshow 168 Posts
    doesn't your bid have to be higher for the BIN to disappear?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Nope. not unless the seller also has a reserve on it.

Rey: not sure what you mean by "strategic" - if I think a BIN price way over the top, I'll throw down a bid to get rid of it and hope it ends lower.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Rey: not sure what you mean by "strategic" - if I think a BIN price [is] way over the top, I'll throw down a bid to get rid of it and hope it ends lower.
    Yeah, that's all that I meant.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I noticed recently a decrease in the spread between the auction start and the BIN price.

Like $190 start, BIN $200.
    WTF? So I can afford 190 but will baulk at an extra 10?
    FOOH

I only tactically bid like this the once. The item was a London Jazz 4 album. The seller had the auction start at 49, BIN at 55.
    Ordinarily I would have paid the 55 and saved several days of angst, but I didn't like the twat (previous beef-R) and so bid 49 using a friend's account; and won at that price.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Why bid higher than the BIN price when you could just... duhhh, BIN?

Or did you mean something else???

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I noticed recently a decrease in the spread between the auction start and the BIN price.

FOOH

I only tactically bid like this the once. The item was a London Jazz 4 album. The seller had the auction start at 49, BIN at 55.
    Ordinarily I would have paid the 55 and saved several days of angst, but I didn't like the twat (previous beef-R) and so bid 49 using a friend's account; and won at that price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jazzberry-Patch-S-T-...%3A1%7C294%3A50

No diss to this person but I was like WTF!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    To me, overpriced Buy It Nows are killing ebay. Try searching records under "psych" and sort by highest priced.
    The first 3-4 pages are 95% overpriced BINs that sit there for weeks or months, occasionally going down a few dollars.

It's turning ebay into Gemm, IMO.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

FOOH

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jazzberry-Patch-S-T-...%3A1%7C294%3A50

No diss to this person but I was like WTF!

Hey, thanks for the free advertising! It's listed at 199 with BIN at 199, because I want $199 for it, and not have it listed in the store items area. Hope that clears up your bafflement.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    To me, overpriced Buy It Nows are killing ebay. Try searching records under "psych" and sort by highest priced.
    The first 3-4 pages are 95% overpriced BINs that sit there for weeks or months, occasionally going down a few dollars.

How is this "killing" eBay?
    If it doesn't sell, then maybe the sellers might get the idea to lower them. If they don't, that's on them.

Isn't that how the record game is played?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Anyone do this as a strategic move?

It's a good move imo only when the person phucked up their listing.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

How is this "killing" eBay?
    If it doesn't sell, then maybe the sellers might get the idea to lower them. If they don't, that's on them.

Isn't that how the record game is played?

I buy lots of South American records and in the old days I could get some cheap, some I paid $$$ for. Now it seems like all the dealers in certain countries (meaning 3-4 dealers) only post their stuff as inflated BINs, WAY more than these records have ever gone for in the past, in an effort to jack up the price. Yeah, they're not selling so much stuff, but virtually none of these guys do this as their only job, so it's not really hurting them.

How would my customers like it if I got together will all the other store owners in NYC and we agreed to jack up our prices across the board?

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I listed some BIN's for the first time last year. A few were high dollar things. When they sold and I took a look at my invoice for that month, I decided no more will I list BIN's!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I'm deleting your bid Reynaldo.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There are times at which an item has a reasonable BIN that might attract impulse buys yet is over my specific max. I put in a nominal bid or max it out to nix the BIN. If it ends up going over the BIN at close, it was out of my range anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    There are times at which an item has a reasonable BIN that might attract impulse buys yet is over my specific max. I put in a nominal bid or max it out to nix the BIN. If it ends up going over the BIN at close, it was out of my range anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

This is what I've been doing on a bunch of used gear recently and it's worked out 50/50. I wasn't bidding on anything that rare but with a raer that I really wanted, I might not want to risk it. Son.

• 3rdshow3rdshow 168 Posts

Why bid higher than the BIN price when you could just... duhhh, BIN?

Or did you mean something else???

of course its dumb, yet a lot of people are hoping to get it for less than BIN
    but they're still ready to pay even more. also, BINs are usually set rather high
    so it's more likely the auction is gonna end at a lower price that at a higher one.
    lower final price means less money for the seller and obviously less money for eBay.
    i'm talking from an eBay perspective here.. why not just let the BIN stay
    until either the auction has ended or the highest bid is higher than BIN?