Photosounder: a new era in sampling?

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

As a student of CoolEdit if this thing does what it says it can do... that is amazing.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    looks pretty cool

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    that is incredible. the amount of songs it'd be great to remove certain annoying elements from. ie; granny in the funky worm!

• 3rdshow3rdshow 168 Posts
    I can't listen to this right now, but does it sound any decent? all attempts of doing this or anything similar that i've heard so far were garbage..

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I can't listen to this right now, but does it sound any decent? all attempts of doing this or anything similar that i've heard so far were garbage..

Sounds pretty legit.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'd like to see some other examples.. a synth sound like that would be much easier to isolate than something more organic.

• Hey, speaking of this ish....who else is up on the science of using the "Rock Band" single tracked instrument tracks to get accapellas drums and all other elements from the video games? Is this too vague or does anyone else know what I'm talmbout?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Seems too good to be true but...

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Hey, speaking of this ish....who else is up on the science of using the "Rock Band" single tracked instrument tracks to get accapellas drums and all other elements from the video games? Is this too vague or does anyone else know what I'm talmbout?

there was a post/link to a site which had all the songs from Rock Band with split audio tracks a while ago.

• Hey, you should have used a latte pass graemilin to mock me or at least a condescending remark...this IS soulstrut right? Thanks tho'

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I was expecting 'WELL THATS A LOAD OF GOOD ISN'T IT???' 'HOW ABOUT A FUSKIN LINK'

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'd like to see some other examples.. a synth sound like that would be much easier to isolate than something more organic.

I posted this over at Okayplayer and on the SH board, and someone said that something similar, using an image file to create and recreate/edit something, can be used in Abode Audition.

Anyway, I downloaded the Photosounder demo and I like what I see and what I'm capable of doing, but it seems to have a more hands on approach to sound editing and alteration than anything. If I want to have a guitar sound like it's being heard in an ocean wave, I can move my mouse around, create an ocean wave brush stroke through it and it will be able to alter elements. That I find interesting.

Now, I tried playing with it by using the last 10 seconds of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's "Woodstock", my hope was that I could isolate Dallas Taylor's drums. I'm able to make adjustments by adjusting various frequencies, but nothing that would make it possible to just hear the drums without anything else.

As for that video that takes out vocals from a song, isn't that fairly common on most audio programs? If the main voice is centered in the mix, and granny is mixed to the left or the right, you can immediately mix it to where the centered vocal cancels out immediately.

I'm there there's a lot more to this program than I know, but it reminds me of what producer Nile Rogers said when he claimed he could draw on his Fairlight and make any voice sound like anyone, including Harrison Ford, when in truth he was sampling Ford's actual voice from a VHS tape. If it truly works, I'd like to see and hear more people create something from that.

I was expecting 'WELL THATS A LOAD OF GOOD ISN'T IT???' 'HOW ABOUT A FUSKIN LINK'

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?2,913549,934311

There are others, just do a search for "Guitar hero multitracks" or "Rock Band Multitracks"

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

As for that video that takes out vocals from a song, isn't that fairly common on most audio programs? If the main voice is centered in the mix, and granny is mixed to the left or the right, you can immediately mix it to where the centered vocal cancels out immediately.

Depending on how the song was mixed it may or may not work, and with varying degrees of "clean"-ness.

All I know is that demo with the synth was clean as hell. If it's not BS I'm really impressed.

Depending on how the song was mixed it may or may not work, and with varying degrees of "clean"-ness.

All I know is that demo with the synth was clean as hell. If it's not BS I'm really impressed.

That is a factor too. If anyone else tries it out and gets close-to-similar results, post away.