Strutters in Austin

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Ran into a few of you along the way, but now I want to hear how your sxsw visits went. A definite highlight for me was witnessing and thoroughly enjoying Reflection Eternal's band covering Bun B's Get Throwed. Anyway, please tell us what you liked, what you ate, your impressions of Austin, and whatnot.

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Who did you run into? Did you beat them up as promised?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The drive down....
    Bluebonnet Season

Legendary Czech Stop.

Mini-ARC

FOS

Random SXSW Street & Club shots

Best Act I saw was Samantha Crain

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Thanks for the pics.

My favorite part of SXSW is the random element. You never know who you are going to run into nor when. You can make what you think are solid plans and then you find yourself doing something completely different and not caring that you missed what you had originally hoped to see.

My favorite act of all that I saw: Monareta

They're a couple of Columbians with wheels on their heads who know how to jam.

Had HR's Band at Emo's not sucked to the fullest, I wouldn't have even discovered Monareta.

So goes SXSW...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Who did you run into? Did you beat them up as promised?

Were they as portly as had been supposed?

• didn't see any shows this year, but ate lunch with Braille and S1 (of Strange Fruit Project) at Manuel's yesterday. Didn't know S1 played in Erykah Badu's sometimes backing band...funny stories.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    metallica/shadow was pretty awesome, until shadow played a bunch of ghey shit at the end. he had me bugging for good 45 minutes tho.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Based on your recommendation (and this picture), I will see to it their music will never sully my ears.

Based on your recommendation (and this picture), I will see to it their music will never sully my ears.

Oh, I see you had some unsolicited asshole to get out of you today...just like every day.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Oh, I see you had some unsolicited asshole to get out of you today...just like every day.

I can't help it that you placed the call with that ridiculous picture!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i had a blast! it was a pleasure meeting you harvey, though i am not used to being greeted with a running punch to the head. it was my first time in Austin and I wasn't sure what the appropriate well mannered response was. I apologize if it was rude of me to start crying.

i took about 537 photos and videos...yeesh. i'm going to spend this evening editing and disposing til i get that down to a manageable number.

personal music highlights

#1 was DEVO DEVO DEVO! Thanks to a badge hook up, I got to attend both the Devo panel and see them play a highly funny and epicly entertaining 1.5 hour set at the Austin Music Hall. I didn't think i would be able to appreciate Mark Mothersbaugh more than I did before, but after the panel and live show (on top of knowing well how talented he is in other mediums) i really do adore him now. His voice sounded great, he danced endearingly and spazzed out the entire 1.5 hours and never seemed tired. Not bad for a 58 year old! For the encore he came out in Booji Boy costume and mask to a Beautiful World and played this instrument that looked like a tennis racket. Then near the end of the song, he pulls down his Booji Boy pants and all these super balls come spilling out, throws handfuls to the crowd and in no time, super balls were bouncing all over the f*cking music hall and audience. It was so absurd, fun and memorable

#2 Echo & the Bunnymen at Stubbs. I was excited, They played all my jams.

#3 Bun B at the Fader Fort. Cupcakes and tall cans!

#4 Freeway even though i couldn't stop giggling everytime he yelled "RHYMESLAYERS!!"

#5 Flatstock = Me in candy store. The only thing stopping me from dropping a ton of money there was knowing that I will be needing it next week when I leave the country for a few weeks

Great to see friends and meet some of you finally!

edit: I just remembered the bridge of the new Devo song Don't Shoot is "DON'T TASE ME, BRO!" over and over. LOmotherfuckingL

To stand out under the moonlight of 6th Street wolfing down a slice of pizza in a drunken, weed-brownied stupor is to live.

To get denied entry to some LA-like afterparty as not actually a part of Mistah FAB's entourage is not too live.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    s!

#4 Freeway even though i couldn't stop giggling everytime he yelled "RHYMESLAYERS!!"

Lots of comedy for the two days we were running around. Lots of firsts for a Rhymesayers show for sure. Kicked it with some bizzare groupings of people (mistah fab, bro ali, freeway, the bizness and kid cudi goin in fool's gold party wtf) and generally drank too much and didn't sleep enough. Most of the shows were pretty cool but I did end up at the Schwayze show at Red Bull which was as terrible as you would expect it to be. Would like to come back to Austin with wifedoggs and check things out. Seemed like a cool city. Met Harvey briefly but didn't get to chop it up.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    HOW WERE DA GODZ BALL AND G?

Met Harvey briefly but didn't get to chop it up.

Because they pulled you into that video they were shooting of Freeway...even though you were in your cutting-the-grass clothes. Now, that's player...lol.

They missed their flight and pulled a Brad.

Didn't show up from what my boy from Memphis told me

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

They missed their flight and pulled a Brad.

Oh man, good thing I didn't go just for them.

Met Harvey briefly but didn't get to chop it up.

Because they pulled you into that video they were shooting of Freeway...even though you were in your cutting-the-grass clothes. Now, that's player...lol.

That shit was very bizarre

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Was only there 36 hours or so, but that's about as much Austin as I can stand in one sitting.

Liveblogged (at the bbq) here: http://www.buhbomp.com/updates/?p=2161

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    yeah i pretty much killed the game everywhere i went. good times!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    but you were beaten to a bloody pulp though, right?????

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I tried to stay at Speakeasy to catch ya'll, but got sidetracked.

I'm almost curious to know how you used to stalk people pre-internet, but then again nevermind.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

I'm almost curious to know how you used to stalk people pre-internet, but then again nevermind.

I'm part of the illuminati so, uh, you should already know the answser.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

sorry I couldn't make it out to the Okayplayer event , the group I was with was all into drinking in the hotel and I couldn't get away... oh well, next year I know I gotta just dip out solo styles if I want to actually get somewhere!

Same deal with Sabbath In The park , got pretty faded the night before and our hotel was some random Days Inn that is NOT close to the city.. heh , no chance I was getting to that park on time.

I got to check out some stuff , the city was crazy .. my first time there .. did a couple shows and checked out that Shadow show , he did play some pretty EMO stuff near the end but definitely a very tight DJ. Those late night 2AM-5AM open bar deals got me DRIZZUNK.

The mini ARC was kind of cool , I found a couple decent things , but not too crazy. I saw Shadow digging thru some boxes of 45s marked 'expensive' at some random table.. I wonder what was in there?

Thanks to Dave at Friends Of Sound , great shop and great vibes ! I will definitely return whenever I am in Austin.

Oh , and I realized I am not a big fan of 'Tex-Mex' .

Anyone see Quincy Jones speak on Thursday?

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    metallica/shadow was pretty awesome, until shadow played a bunch of ghey shit at the end. he had me bugging for good 45 minutes tho.

any more info on the shadow gig? pics? sounds?
    (ghey or not, I can't find anything online...would be nice to post something more about it on the solesides site).

let me know

thanks

DAMN, Delay! Thank you for that mix cd. It's really mind-blowing. I was listening to the Kool G Rap track on repeat all morning.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i had an awesome time

so many cool people came by that working all day & missing the nightlife didn't suck as much
    as it would have otherwise

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    all this stuff took forever to upload, but i have a bunch of photos and video from my first SXSW

Here's the general recap with photos and video

Here's my show review of Devo @ the Austin Music Hall with video

hope you enjoy