who has mice in their place?

jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
i just moved into a place in december and i saw the first mouse a second ago. where there's tiny little grey mice, there's gotta be more.

Comments

• the only way to control mice ...

kill them with proper traps.
    make sure there is NO food around so your neighbours house is more attractive.

Sonic plug things don't work at all.
    Poison just means they stagger around in so much pain they don't care if you are there, shitting blood which makes me feel super guilty, better to use traps and kill them fast.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    thanks for the advice. i followed the little guy around the house and found where he came in. it squeezed through a tiny drain like a shapeshifter. i heard peppermint oil keeps them at bay so i put some around the hole. traps tomorrow. SNAP!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Lay out a bunch of traps at once. Way more than you think you need. They are pretty smart and will learn to stay away you need to wipe them all out at one time. I have heard it suggested that you leave the traps unset with bait in them to get the mice familiar with using them then set them all. That should kill them off, but if you live in an apartment I suggest talking to the landlord and have a real exterminator come in to take care of it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    We have them in our basement. My jack russell keeps them at bay in the house.

If you REALLY want to get rid of them, call pest control.

We had a really bad mouse problem at work. We called Ehrlich and they did a bang up job. They are expensive, though.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Also, STAY AWAY FROM GLUE TRAPS! Talk about inhumane. I hate seeing those little guys suffer. Just lettem have to some cheese and whap!

Also, STAY AWAY FROM GLUE TRAPS! Talk about inhumane. I hate seeing those little guys suffer. Just lettem have to some cheese and whap!

Glue traps are awful. Snap traps are the way to go it you need to kill them.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    cats, motherfuckers, cats

glue traps are definitely awful.

but if you dont want to coexist with mice and refuse to get a cat, they are the most effective method.

but if you dont want to coexist with mice and refuse to get a cat, they are the most effective method.

With the vet bills you will accrue using a cat you should just hire a pro to come take care of the mice. I have three cats but I don't have them for pest control purposes.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i've been outsmarted by mice year after year. tried everything. they are persistent and creative. i've actually grown to respect them, but still need them to go. the little turds all over the counter and no telling what kinds of diseases. i should get a cat.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

Sonic plug things don't work at all.

honestly they probably don't work but a buddy of mine bought a couple to help stop his mice/rat problem and it seems to have worked. either that or they started to shit elsewhere instead out in the open.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

horrific inhumane torture.

god i hate those things.

Anyone who uses them is a piece of shit.

With the vet bills you will accrue using a cat you should just hire a pro to come take care of the mice. I have three cats but I don't have them for pest control purposes.

huh??? are they ornamental?
    sounds like you got lazy or overfed cats.
    c7, get them to earn their keep!!!

for real, i never like the idea of poisoning mice within the house...cant be good for interior air quality.plus,if they dont leave, theyll die and rot in your walls

i should get a cat.

For real, don't get a cat to kill mice. The kind of cat you want living in your home is not usually the kind that will effectively kill mice. I have three house cats and if their food isn't in pellet form they don't know what to do with it. The feral barn cat that would rain some ethnic cleansing style apocalypse on your homes mouse population is not the same animal you want chilling around your son.

The feral barn cat that would rain some ethnic cleansing style apocalypse on your homes mouse population is not the same animal you want chilling around your son.

LOL. well said.
    but for real though, not all domesticated cats are passive little bitches. they can purr in your lap and still have fun torturing rodents (cause thats what they like to do)

The feral barn cat that would rain some ethnic cleansing style apocalypse on your homes mouse population is not the same animal you want chilling around your son.

LOL. well said.
    but for real though, not all domesticated cats are passive little bitches. they can purr in your lap and still have fun torturing rodents (cause thats what they like to do)

Yeah, I hear you, but a lot of people who get cats just to keep the mice at bay end up taking them to the spca when they realize they need to call an exterminator anyway or that they don't like having a cat anymore than they like having mice.

• The feral barn cat that would rain some ethnic cleansing style apocalypse on your homes mouse population is not the same animal you want chilling around your son.

Haha, at our workplace we have a sh*tload of ferile cats. The park we're based at used to have a massive farm on in the 50's and so the farmer in his wisdom decided to release 10 or so cats to fix the problem. All good but he didn't bother to collect them and now we have god knows how many hanging around in the woods, they're proper bastards.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

LOL. well said.

Yeah, I hear you, but a lot of people who get cats just to keep the mice at bay end up taking them to the spca when they realize they need to call an exterminator anyway or that they don't like having a cat anymore than they like having mice.

My son would love a cat. I'm using the mouse thing as an excuse.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Glue traps are the truth--most effective mice eliminator I've seen. All I'll use. Don't be soft!

• cats, motherfuckers, cats

that is a common myth----only "hunter" or wild cats will keep them at bay and even then you'll be finding bodies of mice with their heads chewed off.

i had mice once in a basement suite and they drove me out.

they can live in very hidden places (i. inside your stove or fridge)and squeeze through openings the size of a nickel. i say, get a professional exterminator or move out.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    no telling what kinds of diseases.

Mice carry the Hanta virus. The Hanta virus can cause kidney failure and death. Kill those motherf*ckers stat, and with extreme prejudice.

Oh, and the Hanta virus is spread when vermin shit dries, turns to powder, and becomes airborne. You then inhale it. Think about that. Even without the Hanta virus element.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    No mice, but there is a bat hanging from the ceiling in the hallway this morning at the office. Sorry, for the crappy picture, I left my camera at home today and had to shoot a picture with my iPhone.

• oh and one more thing, mice have very poor eyesight and no bowel control so they are constantly pissing to create trails for themselves.

• No mice, but there is a bat hanging from the ceiling in the hallway this morning at the office. Sorry, for the crappy picture, I left my camera at home today and had to shoot a picture with my iPhone.
    Over in the UK if its a bat, you have to call a professional out to remove it regardless. Something about them being protected. Pah

• oh and one more thing, mice have very poor eyesight and no bowel control so they are constantly pissing to create trails for themselves.

Sounds like my dad.

oh and one more thing, mice have very poor eyesight and no bowel control so they are constantly pissing to create trails for themselves.

yup. you see the shit but not the piss that they leave everywhere. but when you wipe against one of their routes, napkins come up brownish yellow. so foul

No mice, but there is a bat hanging from the ceiling in the hallway this morning at the office. Sorry, for the crappy picture, I left my camera at home today and had to shoot a picture with my iPhone.

looks like you were too scared to get up close. i want to see teeth!!!

cats, motherfuckers, cats

that is a common myth----only "hunter" or wild cats will keep them at bay and even then you'll be finding bodies of mice with their heads chewed off.

huh??!? chewed off heads is quite the deterrent.
    for real man, no cat will not give chase to visible mice. 90% of cats will chase flies for hours if they are in the house. unless your cats are lobotomized, the mice will be kept under pressure and will figure out to vacate into a catless house.

not a myth but established fact.

horrific inhumane torture.

god i hate those things.

Anyone who uses them is a piece of shit.

i hate them too, but sometimes you gotta be a piece of shit.
    i ran a nutrition program in a school with its share of mice. i wasnt in a position to have any tolerance for mice and their potty problems. we kept the room spotless, put everything (even plates and silverware) in plastic tubs. and i tried humane traps (no catches at all). i tried snap traps (very poor results) and then we settled on glue traps. thats where mice get caught. we left the glue traps out and replaced them after a catch, but the mouse problem was greatly reduced and there was very little poop evidence.

its also important to clean along walls, as thats where they usually develop routes for others to follow, and spray w/disinfectant, diluted bleach or a pepermint oil spray if you can find it.

its horrible to have to stomp or suffocate a mouse on a glue trap. but like rey said, you cant be soft.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    My pops uses glue traps. Caught I giant snake in one last year in the basement, crazy seeing how twisted he got himself trying to escape. I definitely feel bad, but db_cooper's post makes me feel better about the extreme prejudice route..

I happened to notice a glue trap under a cabinet yesterday in my pops dining room, and last night I dreamed about seeing mice in that room. Maybe this thread also triggered it. Weird...