• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    an imaginary mixtape made up on the spot:

side one

my mummy's dead- john lennon
    lament- nick cave
    i tried to leave you- leonard cohen
    lover, come back to me- billie holiday
    siren song- tim buckley
    the bells- james brown (anyone know this track, ends with james literally sobbing, then saying "ashes to ashes, dust to dust", then crying... )
    sittin' on top of the world- holwin' wolf
    i watched my dream world crumble like clay- hank williams
    need your love so bad- little willie john
    next in line- johnny cash
    long drink of the blues- jackie maclean
    (fade out)

side two

soul desert- can
    i don't have anything better to do- astrud gilberto
    these arms of mine- otis redding
    by and by- the soul stirrers
    in the pines- leadbelly
    poptones- public image Ltd
    maggot brain- funkadelic
    rainbow- gene chandler
    ball and chain- big brother and the holding company
    some summers they drop like flies- dirty three
    alone and forsaken- hank williams
    dark as a dungeon- merle travis
    this is what you get- elliot smith
    such a shame- the kinks
    i'm lonesone i could cry- johnny cash w/ nick cave

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

plus she was hot in that video where she traipses around in her skivvies. i mean, im not even a real big fan of waifs.

I thought you were gay

only when he thinks it'll make poeple respect him more

Guzzo, you do know that people are sometimes attracted to more than one gender, to varying degrees... right?

Or in your zeal to defend the Gays did you overlook that

oh bisexualiy ain't a new term to me.

However, I pretty much have figured shig to be about as real as I am fat

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Fiona Apple is sick

First Mazzy Star record is brutal

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Fiona Apple is sick

First Mazzy Star record is brutal

agreed.

but the second album was more how you say "melancholy", no? that third one was just a repackaging of the second one though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

plus she was hot in that video where she traipses around in her skivvies. i mean, im not even a real big fan of waifs.

I thought you were gay

Guzzo, you do know that people are sometimes attracted to more than one gender, to varying degrees... right?

WHY WON'T YOU TALK TO HIM????

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I thought you were gay

stop beefing JP and recommend some melancholy music. Think back to the time before Good Records when NYC was dreary.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

I thought you were gay

YOU CANNOT TALK TO THAT WHICH IS NOT REAL. THE LADIES AND GAY DUDES REFER TO ME AS THE DREAM[/b].

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

my favourite album from 2004.........perhaps opening myself to ridicule from dubious and rd

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    by no means is this entire album gloom and doom, but there are some pretty amazing songs on this album that fit my melancholy moods quite well.

the Tamlins version of "baltimore" goes staight to the gut.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

you should look into the trojan soulful box set if you're into that one.

I thought you were gay

stop beefing JP and recommend some melancholy music. Think back to the time before Good Records when NYC was dreary.

Fuck you "aleit". You are not busting moves in my real world. You are robbing old people in the South and selling for millions. I pay to post here.

I listened to Mary Lou Williams "Zodiac Suite" this morning, which is fucking haunting. I also like "Warm Canto" off the Ervin/Dolphy/Waldron record The Quest (although the whole record isn't as melancholy).

Caetano Veloso - Transa which I don't think is sad but is somewhat melancholy

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    by no means is this entire album gloom and doom, but there are some pretty amazing songs on this album that fit my melancholy moods quite well.

the Tamlins version of "baltimore" goes staight to the gut.

YES.... that is a great comp. Well packaged in LP format too. Some very deep stuff there.

i also love the Tamlins version of Baltimore. Nina's version on the CTI 2XLP is killer too. there was a 12" of it as well which is cheap and I covet.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Fuck you "aleit". You are not busting moves in my real world. You are robbing old people in the South and selling for millions. I pay to post here.

I listened to Mary Lou Williams "Zodiac Suite" this morning, which is fucking haunting. I also like "Warm Canto" off the Ervin/Dolphy/Waldron record The Quest (although the whole record isn't as melancholy).

don't push me over the edge, dude.

joking.

Transa is a cool record. I love that one.

"Zodiac Suite" - it's an early one, no? what label can you get an issue on? I love Mary lou.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Jerry Moore's LP "Life Is A Constant Journey Home" on ESP is soooo good.

As is Karen Dalton's "In My Own Time".

Also, Harvey Mandel's version of Christo Redentor.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

you should look into the trojan soulful box set if you're into that one.

fo sho. already picked em up. i also really dig the souljazz comp too

aleit-good lookin on those other "baltimore" versions. I'll keep my eye out.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    this thread got pretty dull once Archie Shepp's name came back up.

haven't heard that Girl Called Eddie record ... but ring wear on new cd covers is pretty played.

i find these quite nice:

Milton Nascimento - Club De Esquina

Annie - My Best Friend

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the bells- james brown (anyone know this track, ends with james literally sobbing, then saying "ashes to ashes, dust to dust", then crying... )

Yes, it is quite disturbing/entertaining. However, it is just a cover of the earlier Billy Ward & the Dominoes version, on which they also have the heavy sobbing and wailing...one of my favorite songs of this type, and a great melancholy (try more like suicidal) track, is Death of an Angel[/b] by Donald Woods and the Vel-Aires on Flip from the late 50's...the agonozing sobs are there, enhanced by crude delay effects!!

don't push me over the edge, dude.

joking.

Transa is a cool record. I love that one.

"Zodiac Suite" - it's an early one, no? what label can you get an issue on? I love Mary lou.

It's an early session - the only way to get them other than the original (and obscenely rare) Arch 78s is the '74 Folkways press. I copped mine on the cheap but doesn't pop up much. Chances are, when it does people don't know what to do with it.

FOLKWAYS.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    thanks risto. That Karen Dalton looks really interesting. Folk record? i'll try to track one down.

That Jerry Moore LP is one of my favorites. Someone on here had it as their avatar for a while. Some seriously deep NYC downtown conscious folk stuff. I've got a spare for someone interested.

this thread got pretty dull once Archie Shepp's name came back up.

haven't heard that Girl Called Eddie record ... but ring wear on new cd covers is pretty played.

Dubious, your commentary tends to be pretty negative. No offense.

I personally thought the thread got dull when the argument went back and forth about Cat Power who I could frankly care less about. But that's just me.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Cool, JP. Look me out when you see another MLW on Folkways.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    thanks risto. That Karen Dalton looks really interesting. Folk record? i'll try to track one down.

Yeah, folk rock it is, I guess. Her voice is unique.

Dubious, your commentary tends to be pretty negative. No offense.

I personally thought the thread got dull when the argument went back and forth about Cat Power who I could frankly care less about. But that's just me.

hey i hear you man.. melancholy = negative no?

hence it treads a thin line.. ones man's poison is anothers...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

hey i hear you man.. melancholy = negative no?

hence it treads a thin line.. ones man's poison is anothers...

no i don't think it does. i suppose there could be a negative melancholiness, or a certain hopelessness involved.

melancholy = introspective, meditative, nostalgic, pensive, contemplative, a certain type of sadness, longing, etc.

i think of the way that autumn feels up north at night. Or a memory of swimming in a lake in late summer with friends you've lost touch with. or watching snow fall throw a window, driving across the brooklyn bridge. there... my poetic side coming through.

i don't think about continuously over-vocalizing my opinion in a negative way, particularly in a manner that cuts other opinions.

but carry on, this was (RR) not a musing on semantics.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

i don't think about continuously over-vocalizing my opinion in a negative way, particularly in a manner that cuts other opinions.

wow

getting criticised for being overly negative about music that's overly negative

im usually a pretty poisitive dude.. but if there's one thing that gets my goat its nagativity in music... sorry if i felt the need to wax poetic on that in a NEGATIVE fashion.

for the most part i find these types of bands / artists to be self absorbed and pretentious...

i find the mystique / alure around alot of these artists to be a tad "dubious" (i didnt get that name from nowhere you know) and i think it was relative to the thread.

apologies for atttempting to actually DISCUSS music in any form other than it's raerness or in list form.

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Requiem"... nuff said...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

wow

getting criticised for being overly negative about music that's overly negative

im usually a pretty poisitive dude.. but if there's one thing that gets my goat its nagativity in music... sorry if i felt the need to wax poetic on that in a NEGATIVE fashion.

for the most part i find these types of bands / artists to be self absorbed and pretentious...

i find the mystique / alure around alot of these artists to be a tad "dubious" (i didnt get that name from nowhere you know) and i think it was relative to the thread.

apologies for atttempting to actually DISCUSS music in any form other than it's raerness or in list form.

i didn't say i disagreed with the content of your comments.

but the delivery is another story.

i also prefer music that does not attempt to fit a sound, but resonates in human experience, shares it with an audience. real people music. if the music was created in down and out times, so be it. but it's not necessarily negative.

trying to make music to fit a certain sound or emotion is a different story. but this could be a longer discussion about what is and isn't "authentic" in the realm of emotions, creation, artistic production. etc.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    if the music was created in down and out times, so be it. but it's not necessarily negative.

trying to make music to fit a certain sound or emotion is a different story. but this could be a longer discussion about what is and isn't "authentic" in the realm of emotions, creation, artistic production. etc.

agreed