Recommend some melancholy music (RR)

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I second all of Bambouche's recommendations and add the following:

Colleen[/b] "Everyone Alive Wants Answers"
    delicate and somber instrumental LP that is so soft and gentle it'll make you feel like your first break-up everytime

Mogwai[/b] "Come on Die Young"
    The loudest quiet band I've ever heard. These guys create these sonic masterpieces filled with a ton of sad emotion

Nina Nastasia[/b] "The Blackened Air"
    If you are a fan of the Black Procession than this should be right up your alley. Very similar in sound except with a troubled female voice playing with the melodies. Do not drink and listen to this album.

Bedroom Walls[/b] "I Saw You Coming back To Me"
    One of the better Local bands, this album borrows elements from every quality sad song you've heard over the last 20 years and sets it to a shoegazing Mazzy Star melody and tone

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh yea - Spacemen 3.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Judith & Holofernes - The Matan??a[/b]
    Indie take on traditional Portuguese lament ("fado") songs. Beautiful stuff. Very sad. Lots of songs about drinking yourself to sleep. Lots of songs about regret. Lots of songs about waking up after a dream about seeing your dead friend swinging from an almond branch. This is my favorite. It's depressing, yet catchy. What a pop song should be, in my opinion.

And I can no longer draw the line
    Where my hatred for myself ends
    And my hatred for you begins

It's cute that such a self-depreciating Robert Smith-esque chorus could be accompanied by accordion. Buy it here.

More Judith & Holofernes heartbreakers:

It's harder to break a habit
    Than it is to break a promise
    It's hardly an excuse
    But you've asked me to be honest

Very, very beautiful music. (Sorry, no braeks.)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Bedroom Walls[/b] "I Saw You Coming back To Me"
    One of the better Local bands, this album borrows elements from every quality sad song you've heard over the last 20 years and sets it to a shoegazing Mazzy Star melody and tone
    fuck man, this is turning into my favorite thread... i saw a video for "winter, that's all" in brooklyn last year, really low budget, but a great band. i don't know about that whole "romaticore" self-title, but still. that nina nastasia is the soundtrack to my broken engagement.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    bedroom walls

that has got to be the worst band name i've ever heard.

• bedroom walls

it's not half as contrived and terrible as the music

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    bedroom walls

it's not half as contrived and terrible as the music

Bob Bannister attacks romanticore with a vengence!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    balm in gilead - archie shepp f. jeanne lee [off the blase lp]
    anthony braxton - for alto [but more specifically that one song on there with numbers and letters that's all slow and shit and sounds like a dude playing in a quiet subway.]
    godspeed - that one lp with the smashed penny and the photo on the front
    fiona apple - never is a promise
    mazzy star - into dust
    wendell stuart & the downbeaters - the last thing on my mind

romanitcore??

is that a joke?

we've got two hainous ringleaders of the so called "sof revolution" up here ... well actually in montreal. The Dears and another band called Stars...

the dears sound like the smiths but with less pop and more pretensiousness and i can;t even begin to describe Stars.. for one they are called Stars and they look like a bunch of student teachers.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    that braxton song with the numbers and letters, huh? That narrows it down.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    romanitcore??

is that a joke?

yes

• my man, all those records you picked are beyond boring. nina nastasia makes me laugh it's so awful

• The Dirty Three are up there on the melancholy charts. It's the drummer, violin player and guitarist for the Bad Seeds. Ocean Songs is the last one I had. I drank a bunch of tea my roomate made from poppy juice once and listened to it and saw ghosts everywhere for a while. The Rachel's Band from Louisville is also good sad instrumental stuff, especially their first record (Handwriting, I think it's called). Tara Jane Oneal, also from Louisville, is good too, like Cat Power but not so broke down. Everybody's recommendations sound really good, will try to check them out. Thanks.

that braxton song with the numbers and letters, huh? That narrows it down.

my bad. it also has lines connecting the various letters and numbers.

on second thought, it may have also been called something like "for [art fag]" as i seem to remember that the songs were all dedicated to various hi-brows.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    those last sessions of Johnny Cash on American have been in heavy rotation lately. I'd say pretty melancholy! You can almost hear him dying.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

If you are looking for melancholy just about any Fiona Apple will do. I am curious what people think of her. I like her 2 released albums. It???s a shame her last one got shelved. I would have liked to hear it.

If you are looking for melancholy just about any Fiona Apple will do. I am curious what people think of her.

CRAP

• The Dirty Three are up there on the melancholy charts.

But i like the Tin Hat Trio better.

The Dirty Three

man i saw them like years and years ago.. they opened for pavement in providence RI on the wowee zowee tour...

the singer was like some long haired dude who played violin like he was yngwie malmsteen, and the other dudes were fat and bald... wow they sucked.

If you are looking for melancholy just about any Fiona Apple will do. I am curious what people think of her. I like her 2 released albums. It???s a shame her last one got shelved. I would have liked to hear it.

one of the most underrated singer/songwriters if you ask me. plus she was hot in that video where she traipses around in her skivvies. i mean, im not even a real big fan of waifs.

• tiptoetiptoe 57 Posts

plus she was hot in that video where she traipses around in her skivvies. i mean, im not even a real big fan of waifs.

I thought you were gay

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

plus she was hot in that video where she traipses around in her skivvies. i mean, im not even a real big fan of waifs.

I thought you were gay

only when he thinks it'll make poeple respect him more

I thought you were gay

oh yeah. in which case she disgusts me with her olive skin and dreamy eyes.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

Agreed

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I thought you were gay

oh yeah. in which case she disgusts me with her olive skin and dreamy eyes.
    um... i don't know.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hey all these suggestions are cool.

but people keep mentioning indie rock bands I interviewed or booked about 8 or 9 years ago. i.e. Dirty Three, Cat Power, Mogwai, Bonnie prince Billy, Palace, whatever etc. etc.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I don't want to go out and buy indie rock records. I've already owned many of them and sold them many years ago. Not to say there isn't great music.

I was kind of hoping for suggestions of interesting older LPs I could track down or add to a list. THings that are creative and different. Suggestions for new music to search for. Could be completely obscure small press stuff or just interesting oddball things that really hit you.

Don't mean any offense by imposing limitations. Whatever you feel or connect with when you're feeling blue is cool w/ me. But i was hoping for other sorts of suggestions.

And please no more debates on Cat Power. contrived or not. silly rock-star(ish) mentality or not.

thank you.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Agreed

like this.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I was kind of hoping for suggestions of interesting older LPs I could track down or add to a list. THings that are creative and different. Suggestions for new music to search for. Could be completely obscure small press stuff or just interesting oddball things that really hit you.

Gavin Bryars[/b] "Sinking of the Titanic"
    1975 release on the Brian Eno owned "Obscure" label. 2 mellow, creative, and different long tracks that outta put you in that melancholy mood you seek

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I thought you were gay

only when he thinks it'll make poeple respect him more

Guzzo, you do know that people are sometimes attracted to more than one gender, to varying degrees... right?

Or in your zeal to defend the Gays did you overlook that