Does the Spice Girls make you feel nostalgic?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Or is it just me? When I think of the spice girls for some reason I pine for the halcyon days of old..... even the backstreet boys sometimes has that affect on me.

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    no

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    No its not just me? Or no it doesn't make you feel nostalgic?

that era of music on the pop level was terrible IMO.

98 Degrees and shit.....bleh...

All those Boy Bands/Disney crafted groups were a bad look for POP music ...imo.

I feel sorry for teenagers that were reared/clubbed to that music.

At the time Electronica was doin some real shit.

I do ride for Tell Me What U Want....I Wanna-HUH,I wanna HUH,I Wanna-HUH!!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It takes me back in time, but it doesn't make me feel nostalgic. There's a difference. You gotta have a fondness for something to get that feeling of nostalgia.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It takes me back in time, but it doesn't make me feel nostalgic. There's a difference. You gotta have a fondness for something to get that feeling of nostalgia.

nostalgia |n??ˈstaljə; nə-|
    noun
    a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations : I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college.
    ??? the evocation of these feelings or tendencies, esp. in commercialized form : an evening of TV nostalgia.

There are some songs that I listen to now, that I never even heard BITD, but they invoke some kind of nostalgia. The Spice Girls isn't one of them though.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    No its not just me? Or no it doesn't make you feel nostalgic?

That would be reasonable if you weren't like 40 something. So you were rocking Spice Girls and 98 Degrees in your 30s?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

That era? Someone's always going to be manufacturing that shit on some level..

Does that mean Future Sex/Love Sounds is our Magnetic South?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Jesus Frank, I'm only 32. Don't you have some trash to be picking up?

Maybe I just wanted an excuse to use the word Halcyon.

No Doubt.

BUT....It seemed to me that the Boy Band/Spice Girls Formula was the dominant flavor. The Monkees had other competition. Menudo wasnt POP like that.
    Debbie Gibson wasnt the only thang on the radio, there was a whole gang of shit being played concurrently w/ those former POP groups.

And now u have American Idol culture.......No wonder the Industry is dead.

Oh, my bad. You just seem so mature.

I don't pick up trash. I run a chain gang.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Perhaps you would be interested in joining my boy band?

A boy band comprised of 30-something records geeks? Sounds great. Can we write nostalgic anti-litter songs about Woodsy the "Owl"?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Spice Girls do make me feel nostalgic. I saw the Spice Girls movie at a drive in in Durban as part of a double feature with Boogie Nights with my wife in February 1998. Spice Girls makes me think of that, which is a nostalgic time and space for me.

ban

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    ban
    Tell me whatchuwant whatchureallyreallywant.

Nothing to do with nothing, but I've always had a problem with the term "boy band" when it applies to four or five vocalists who don't play instruments on stage or records. Where's the band at?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    BUT....It seemed to me that the Boy Band/Spice Girls Formula was the dominant flavor. The Monkees had other competition. Menudo wasnt POP like that.
    Debbie Gibson wasnt the only thang on the radio, there was a whole gang of shit being played concurrently w/ those former POP groups.

And now u have American Idol culture.......No wonder the Industry is dead.

While I'm not nostalgic for the Spice Girls, there are times when I'll listen to some of their songs and realize that in the U.S. you don't hear that kind of pop anymore. I don't know if it's because there was an obvious British influence in their music, but one rarely hears that on the radio unless you seek it out. Look at the trend of the last two years, when every other singer wanted to find out what made Amy Winehouse great and come to find out she's a huge fan of Northern soul, ska and reggae, styles that most modern groups don't know of. Adele gets into it, Solange Knowles did it (and her album was a lot better than her sisters), Lily Allen did it, and now no one knows what anyone is doing next.

But you're right, there was competition back then because labels wanted to tap into that formula. If it worked, great. If not, all a label could hope for was a one hit wonder which has a shelf life of at least 25 years. At times it feels like music isn't about making music, it's about commercial endorsements, it's about making it into a Disney film, it's hoping your song will be used on American Idol, and you now have a generation who watches that show and thinks music is just that. Some music has lost its edge because labels, or what's left of them, have thrown away the need for music to be edgy. Edgy = liability.

I'm a sucker for a good pop song, but I haven't heard a good one in awhile.

As for The Monkees, watch Head[/b] for references, and also see Jonas Brothers pee in their own mouths knowing their inevitable future of being trapped in the black box.

Speaking of which:

As for The Monkees, watch Head[/b] for references

It's fairly well-known that the Monkees made a serious attempt to destroy their bubblegum image while they were still on top, hanging out with the likes of Jimi Hendrix and releasing more progressive-minded albums like Pisces, Aquarius, Etc..

Of course, when the TV show was cancelled and the movie Head tanked, they blew it by going BACK to their old bubblegum image, wearing crushed-velvet suits and doing commercials for Kool-Aid...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

As for The Monkees, watch Head[/b] for references

It's fairly well-known that the Monkees made a serious attempt to destroy their bubblegum image while they were still on top, hanging out with the likes of Jimi Hendrix and releasing more progressive-minded albums like Pisces, Aquarius, Etc..

Of course, when the TV show was cancelled and the movie Head tanked, they blew it by going BACK to their old bubblegum image, wearing crushed-velvet suits and doing commercials for Kool-Aid...

True, and yet there's some pretty clever work on those albums, up until the end.

Of course, there was always this:

As much as I love roller skate videos, that was pretty terrible. The video is funny, but the song is bad. It's like Macho City without the dub. I found all those Nesmith records recently and they are not so bad, but I only kept Magnetic South.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Adele gets into it, Solange Knowles did it (and her album was a lot better than her sisters), Lily Allen did it, and now no one knows what anyone is doing next.

Alice Russell is [finally] going to kick these chicks to the curb.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

A boy band comprised of 30-something records geeks? Sounds great. Can we write nostalgic anti-litter songs about Woodsy the "Owl"?

Its an untapped market, for sure.

• Jesus Frank, I'm only 32. Don't you have some trash to be picking up?

Like 'Give a Hoot Don't Pollute' wouldn't be a HUGE hit...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I can't say they do, but Scary and Posh were/are beautiful. I remember the backlash over Melanie Brown stating in interviews about getting a tongue piercing to help her "snog" better.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Back in the day I wanted to bone Baby Spice somethin' serious.