BBQ (NRR)

33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
Look i am not trying to make this a BBQ thread what is better. etc. But I am craving some good Georgia BBQ sauce (vinegar based) and I wanted to know if someone can hook up an LA foll with some of that goodness. We can work it out through paypal whatever... but Seriosuly I want some good BBQ sauce sent this way. if you know of a site that I can go to too, that's cool. There was a place outside of Athens a friend of mine used to get the BBQ from and it was probably the best I've had.Anyway hit me on PM if you got any leads.

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    There was a place outside of Athens a friend of mine used to get the BBQ from and it was probably the best I've had.

Do you know if it was it Spring House or Fresh Air? Last I checked, Spring House was down to 1 operation just outside of Winder whereas Fresh Air had expanded its web beyond the lone location in Jackson (another close to Macon) - http://www.amadirectlink.com/barbecue/freshair.asp

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups catsup
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup brown sugar -- firmly packed
    3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
    2 cloves or 3 garlic -- minced
    1 lemon -- cut in halves

Preparation:

In a saucepan, combine catsup, vinegar, oil, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, and garlic. Squeeze lemon juice into sauce and add 1 lemon half shell. Heat slowly for about 45 minutes. Sauce does not have to reach the boil, but heating blends flavor. Makes about 3 cups.

get to work!

seriously, making bbq sauce is really easy...
    don't you have an aunt or someone with a good recipe?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I have no idea all i know is it came in these plastic containers that you get at the deli, nothing fancy. I think they only had a couple types of sauce too, like mild, medium or hot?? I haven't had it for yeears and have been meaning to find a connect to get more. so good.

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups catsup
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup brown sugar -- firmly packed
    3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
    2 cloves or 3 garlic -- minced
    1 lemon -- cut in halves

Preparation:

In a saucepan, combine catsup, vinegar, oil, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, and garlic. Squeeze lemon juice into sauce and add 1 lemon half shell. Heat slowly for about 45 minutes. Sauce does not have to reach the boil, but heating blends flavor. Makes about 3 cups.

get to work!

seriously, making bbq sauce is really easy...
    don't you have an aunt or someone with a good recipe?

No you don't understand this stuff is like crack. its not sweet BBQ but more tart, definately has a vinegar base. But beyond that the stuff is just tasty as hell. i used to put it on everything when we would have it...

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    Somebody hook this cat up with some sauce from Fatt Matt's Rib Shack.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I have no idea all i know is it came in these plastic containers that you get at the deli, nothing fancy. I think they only had a couple types of sauce too, like mild, medium or hot?? I haven't had it for yeears and have been meaning to find a connect to get more. so good.

Sorry, but that description almost rings true for half the places I went to in the ATL-Athens axis - the sauce you're describin' pretty much holds true to form for GA so any of these may well be worth lookin' into -

Hot Thomas
    Watkinsville, GA
    706-769-6550

Fresh Air
    Athens, GA
    706-546-6060

Sprayberry's Barbecue
    Newnan, GA
    770-253-5080

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

No you don't understand this stuff is like crack. its not sweet BBQ but more tart, definately has a vinegar base. But beyond that the stuff is just tasty as hell. i used to put it on everything when we would have it...
    i hear you. my mother's side of the family is all from Georgia and some of my aunts have SICK recipes. the thing i posted above is some internet jazz. i'm just sayinig the process of making BBQ sauce is EASY once you have a good recipe.

...teach a man to fish

i hear you. my mother's side of the family is all from Georgia and some of my aunts have SICK recipes. the thing i posted above is some internet jazz. i'm just sayinig the process of making BBQ sauce is EASY once you have a good recipe.

...teach a man to fish
    haha no doubt. I should just get off my ass and do it myself. I need to get a benchmark though to comapre it to, cause ya know.. its crack...

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    I feel you on the vinegar based sauce... damn that shit is good.

• stubb's

none of yall boys know about lubbock

• Stubb's is nice but try this:

1/2 cup onion, minced
    1T margarine
    1/2 cup water
    2T vinegar
    1T Worcestershire sauce
    juice of 1 lemon
    2T brown sugar
    2T prepared mustard
    1/2 cup chilli sauce
    salt and pepper
    hot sauce

Saut??* onions in margarine. add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes. adjust seasoning to taste.

*to saut??: cook quickly so as not to lose the juices, use a small quantity of fat, cook in an open pan, and stir or move the pan about constantly.

straight form my mom's nitty gritty soul food cook book.

enjoy

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    You might want to try the "Red Hot Vinegar" sauce at the Pig on La Brea, just about a block south of Pink's and on the other side of the street. It's right next to an art house theater. That used to be my last stop: Amoeba, Aron's, Pig. Or else Amoeba, Aron's, Carney's.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I can't hook you up on the sauce, but you do have some copies of my "BBQ or Mildew" mix cds on the way!!!!!

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts
    It's always nice to make your own, but if you have to buy, Sweet Baby Ray's is pretty darn good. For me, Vinegar at the top of the ingredient list is key. Down in San Diego, there's a place called "Phil's BBQ" that has one many taste awards for their vinegar based sauce. The stuff is pucker-mouth smoky/semi-sweet deliciousness.

You might want to try the "Red Hot Vinegar" sauce at the Pig on La Brea, just about a block south of Pink's and on the other side of the street. It's right next to an art house theater. That used to be my last stop: Amoeba, Aron's, Pig. Or else Amoeba, Aron's, Carney's.

yeh i have been meaning to get to that spot... I think it may have to happen now.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    stubb's

LUBBOCK OR LEAVE IT.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    stubb's

LUBBOCK OR LEAVE IT.

I know about Lubbock, boring ass town...hot as fuck in the summer and bitterly cold in the winter...easy to drive aorund in though, the town is perfectly square...

but back to BBQ, yes I used to be a Stubb's disciple, but this stuff kicks the living shit out of Stubb's:
    http://www.dancingpigs.com/
    their hot bbq sauce is unfreaking unreal...so so good....hot though, it aint for amateurs.

Memphis y'all

So look, has anyone had Caruthers BBQ? Because that is where they used to get it from, (just talked to my friend)... And if so, how does it compare to Fresh Air, Hot Thomas, and Sprayberrys? Is there anyway anyone down there would be willing to pack some of this goodness and send it out Cali way? I will pay for the sauce & shipping (obviously) and whatever is cool for packing it up and sending it... Ia m dead serious about this.

Serious... anyone in the Athens area??

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    Checka PM

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Anybody know how to make the dope ass thick hot sauce that they have so many places? Like the orange wing sauce that sticks. I love that shit and everytime I ask how they make it they say "Oh we get it by the tub, we don't make it." How the fuck do you make that shit? I hate the cheap hot-sauce-and-butter combo that so many people use.