VUnderground! Transvestites! Ornette Coleman!

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I love the song Sister Ray (by both VU and Joy Division).I found this and think it's pretty interesting. I got confused in the Harmony section because I don't know music but there was some fun tidbits in there still. I guess if you're going to dissect a song - this is the way to do it. Some esoteric references, but otherwise easy-to-read and an amazing slice of musical history examined. Sister Ray essay

Comments

• Wow, definitely gonna read that...

Thanks for the post.

VU is my all time favorite "rock" band... and "Sister Ray" is an amazing song. Good looking out!

Peace...
    FNM

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Wow, a lot of effort went in to that. Pretty cool. I always liked the fact that the LP was fuzzy, so that never bothered me. Never even occured to me that it was "bad recording" I always thought it was obvious they wanted it that way.

I like them telling the engineer they don't want to know what goes on in the booth, just deal with it!!!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I know! it's a great sounding record and for a time people tried to recreate it and now, not enough people do (as demonstrated in the Modern Rock thread!).

I re-read the Harmony section and still don't get a lot of it, but am getting things I missed the first time. So wicked! Masculine and feminine tones, harmonies and arrangements! Sister Ray is a trannie song in every way!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I re-read the Harmony section and still don't get a lot of it, but am getting things I missed the first time. So wicked! Masculine and feminine tones, harmonies and arrangements! Sister Ray is a trannie song in every way!

Yea, I think people can over examine that stuff based on standard classical theory. If it sounds good play it I say. The Flamming Lips have used the G-F-C thing too. I'm sure their are plenty of others as well.

Hell, I'd like to see someone try to study Sonic Youth. Those guys make up tunings, chords you name it.

A friend of mine opened for them, and they had a huge box full of guitars. They said it would be too crazy to try to re-tune all night, so they just have to keep switching guitars.