Donny Hath or Otis Redding?

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Both on spin this morning...Donny has more skillz but Otis could read parking tickets and you'd cry.OTIS.

Comments

• Without question Otis...

• Without question Otis...

Donny is amazing, but Otis IS soul music (I even named my cat after him...)

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Without question Otis...

Donny is amazing, but Otis IS soul music (I even named my cat after him...)

Bryan Ferry named his son after him..... Redding that is, not your cat

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Without question Otis...

On a side note been listening to that recent release of the Stax tour in London and Paris and his version of Try A Little Tenderness from Paris is one of the most urgently sexual pieces of soul music I've ever heard.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    these two men have almost nothing in common besides being black soul singers on Atlantic sub labels

that said...id have to go with Otis

as great as Donny was, his albums are spotty

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    these two men have almost nothing in common besides being black soul singers on Atlantic sub labels

yup

Apples and Grapefruits.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts

yup

Apples and Grapefruits.

Yeah. But you have to pick one.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

yup

Apples and Grapefruits.

Sayin'.
    Why can't people understand simple questions?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Imma buy his house. For tuppence ha'penny.

• minimini 879 Posts
    I??ll vote for Otis.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

yup

Apples and Grapefruits.

Sayin'.
    Why can't people understand simple questions?

Donny

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

not true...both are singers, songwriters and producers...both hit their artistic peak at about the same age and both died way too young.

That said, Otis is soul music...Otis sons Donny.

• I don't disagree that Otis is more essential, but this:

needs to be taken to the 'statements that are bullshit' thread

honestly, when it comes down to it, I think i derive more enjoyment from Donny. but i realize that Otis is more important and influential in the history of music.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I got love for Donny no doubt, but is this really a question?

I don't disagree that Otis is more essential, but this:

As one wise man once intoned, "F*ck that." I stand by my original statement 200%.

When Donny was good, he was unstoppable.

When Donny was bad, he was Roberta Flack with a sex change!

It's cool that Donny had all these grandiose concepts, but they didn't always come off...

not true...both are singers, songwriters and producers...both hit their artistic peak at about the same age and both died way too young.

And both men played music with Carla Thomas and had five fingers on each hand.

• I don't disagree that Otis is more essential, but this:

As one wise man once intoned, "F*ck that." I stand by my original statement 200%.

It's cool that Donny had all these grandiose concepts, but they didn't always come off...

wait, you're dissing roberta now? world... collapsing... around me...

donny has 2 near-perfect albums. the other 2 i'd give ~8/10.

but didn't you once say that curtis' albums are spotty too? i'm feeling more and more conflicted about you. torn by feelings of love and hate

but didn't you once say that curtis' albums are spotty too?

yes i did!

remember, even though the LP's are inconsistent, i never said that Curtis/Donny were BAD...even after I got the lesser album tracks out of the way, I still played the hell out of what was left!

• chimachima 33 Posts

Donny has more skillz but Otis could read parking tickets and you'd cry.

Otis hands down.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

but didn't you once say that curtis' albums are spotty too?

yes i did!

remember, even though the LP's are inconsistent, i never said that Curtis/Donny were BAD...even after I got the lesser album tracks out of the way, I still played the hell out of what was left!

Donny Hathaway was wicked inconsistent -- much more so than Curtis Mayfield. Curtis had a few snoozer album cuts, but I pretty much stand by every solo LP during the 70s. I might be able to be persuaded to stand down from that ish he did for RSO in like '79, but otherwise, I'm standing up.

Roberta Flack was pretty inconsistent as well. I love her first two or three albums, but after that the production just gets kinda smooth jazz. I mean, you might throw 'em on some times, and there might be one or two nice tracks but otherwise, I could live without. I don't feel that way about any Curtis records.

As for a choice between Donny Hathaway and Otis, it's an unfair fight. Otis Redding was arguably the number one soul brother in the mid-1960s (with all due respect to James Brown) and he created space for himself and others to follow -- Donny was one of the ones that followed into the space. The space was so immense that Donny doesn't have to be too much like Otis to nonetheless have to live in his shadow. Hence the current question pending.

Donny Hathaway was wicked inconsistent -- much more so than Curtis Mayfield. Curtis had a few snoozer album cuts, but I pretty much stand by every solo LP during the 70s. I might be able to be persuaded to stand down from that ish he did for RSO in like '79, but otherwise, I'm standing up.

Believe it or not, the one Curtis album I can press play and listen from end to end is Got To Find A Way, which doesn't get discussed much, but everything came together well on that one.

Roberta Flack was pretty inconsistent as well. I love her first two or three albums, but after that the production just gets kinda smooth jazz.

I don't really like Flack at all, to be truthful. Like you say, she is way too close to smooth jazz. I dislike Billy Paul for the same reason.

As for a choice between Donny Hathaway and Otis, it's an unfair fight. Otis Redding was arguably the number one soul brother in the mid-1960s (with all due respect to James Brown) and he created space for himself and others to follow -- Donny was one of the ones that followed into the space. The space was so immense that Donny doesn't have to be too much like Otis to nonetheless have to live in his shadow. Hence the current question pending.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I could see if it was, say, Otis vs. Wilson Pickett, as far as 1960's southern soul guys go. Or Donny vs. Curtis, in terms of progressive black music from the early '70s. But even though Big O and Don were both infuential soul singers, they still come from different times and different subgenres.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    It's hard not to pick Otis in this situation. He wrote some of the greatest soul songs ever, shit that has become part of the American popular musical canon. He was an incredible live performer and he was something of divine presence according to those who knew him. That said Donny had some capacities where he outshone Otis; First, his voice. Otis, as great as he was, had an extremely limited range. Donny had a beautiful, wide ranging instrument that he employed with unbelievable skill (just listen to his live version of Young, Gifted and Black if you need any persuasion). Donny started as an arranger in the Mayfield camp. Like Curtis he produced some really intricate and stirring soul music, stuff that Otis simply would not have had the chops to do. A song like Thank You Master is a good example of this. That doesn't mean he's better overall nor does it diminish Otis' great abilities in these areas. I just appreciate how good Donny was at singing and arranging. Overall, I agree that Donny got a little loose/syrupy with his later work.

My head says Otis but my heart wants Donny.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Donny had some capacities where he outshone Otis; First, his voice.

BAN

you're a disgrace to the House of Stax

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Donny had some capacities where he outshone Otis; First, his voice.

BAN

you're a disgrace to the House of Stax

Even Otis' close friends admit that he did a lot with a little.

being a great soul singer doesn't have much to do with having a 10 octave range or whatever - a singers 'voice' is more than how many notes they can hit - Otis is the personification of soul basically

frankly I never understood why Donny was sweated so heavily by bourgie nouveau soul types - most of his records are overarranged & if I must be candid - a bit on the tepid side

the whole tragic martyr thing has a certain appeal I guess - cynically, if Leroy Hutson flew out a window maybe more people would be into him these days

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

But what could get me halfway calm was this Donny Hathaway song.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    being a great soul singer doesn't have much to do with having a 10 octave range or whatever - a singers 'voice' is more than how many notes they can hit - Otis is the personification of soul basically

frankly I never understood why Donny was sweated so heavily by bourgie nouveau soul types - most of his records are overarranged & if I must be candid - a bit on the tepid side

the whole tragic martyr thing has a certain appeal I guess - cynically, if Leroy Hutson flew out a window maybe more people would be into him these days

I love how you completely ignore most of my post which, in essence, agrees with much of what you said in yours. Try having a conversation for once. You might find you'd actually learn something or say something someone cares about.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Otis Redding's Soul is from the Civil Rights Era.

Donny Hathaway represented a coming out period. His audience were slightly upscale and educated. His art reflected the times. The Black Bourgie crowd werent stuck on 60's Soul by the time Donny/Curtis/Marvin were doin their thang in the 70's.

Comparing these cats on the same playin level is suspect.

Otis helped set up/solidify the foundations of Soul, Donny extended the possibilities.

Alot of cats have this romantic view of 60's Soul as standard. That's cool in hindsight, but the audience had evolved.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Cosine, Batmon

First came Otis, then came Donny

I love how you completely ignore most of my post which, in essence, agrees with much of what you said in yours. Try having a conversation for once. You might find you'd actually learn something or say something someone cares about.

b/w

[kala]EAT A DICKKKK DR CUNTSPEW[/kala]

pS: I gotta bounce to go spin some rekkids at the Lyman Woodard tribute show - feel free to take your time responding