Ever give donations to street people?

13»

Comments

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21What's your policy? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21When they don't ask me for it. I find if a dude steps to me with a whole spiel, its too much of a sales pitch.... and I get sus. Personally I prefer to give money to the dudes that sell Big Issue magazines, and usually Ill drop them a tenner and tell them keep the change.b, 21b, 21Other times if they step to me with the whole havent eaten in days story, then ill offer to buy them some food.b, 21b, 21Australia aint got many beggers, Argentina was a whole different story, that was insane, even if I wanted to give money to everyone I would have run out in the first day.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I hitchiked through an entire year once. Feels like long ago and pre celly days, life had changed since then but I give pocket change away all the time, and leftover food to go when it feels right. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21not to thread hijack, but were you traveling or just hitchiking whre you lived?b, 21for a whole year...man, thats some shit. ive done several days with good results, but never long haul (and always with a celly)

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I hitchiked through an entire year once. Feels like long ago and pre celly days, life had changed since then but I give pocket change away all the time, and leftover food to go when it feels right. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121not to thread hijack, but were you traveling or just hitchiking whre you lived?b,121for a whole year...man, thats some shit. ive done several days with good results, but never long haul (and always with a celly) b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah I lived in LA at the time, no car, had a legit but low pay job. And I hitchiked when I need to go places and couldn't get rides from my then girlfriend because I hated mooching off her or my roomate at the time. Talking early 90's, early. It's wehn I realized even if you try to live like that someone has to take the weight eventually. I can't imagine going back to my life then at all, constant anxiety, imbalance always.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121There used to be a pretty cool homeless/down on his luck type dude that sat in front of the Berkeley Amoeba. He had some sort of foot injury that was pretty messed up, like it was always swollen. I talked to him all the time and he was cool.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Was he in a wheel chair? When I worked at Intermezzo, there would always be a guy outside of La Fiesta or Cody's or Amoeba in a wheel chair w/ a fucked up foot problem -- He wanted everyone to call him "Lone Wolf", but I think his real name was Lyle. Anyways, I used to take smoking breaks and chat with him -- I'd always hook him up with a cup of Diet Coke and sometimes a cigarette. He did the same sort of thing you described -- starting small and then asking for more and more. It got to the point where I had to avoid him as well.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Wait till you've been asked by a 7 year-old for money at 1 AM. Or make friends with a kid on the beach only to realize that he sleeps across the street, on the sidewalk, and then have him ask you for shoes the next day. Or walk by the same guy, everyday, with legs swollen from diabetes so badly that he can't even walk, who will die one of these days right where he's sitting now.b,121b,121Makes the life of the 45 year-old addict, who gets free meals from the church and a spot in a shelter, look TAME.b,121b,121And no, I do not give money to any of these people/kids. I know what it's going towards (drugs..yes even the 7 year-old is being pimped out by his older brother), and it also puts me in a dangerous position, especially as a foreigner here in Brasil. Shit is crazy, and I know I walk around here with a certain degree of guilt that most Brasilians/tourists don't have.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121... your pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters..." b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121in the loud-low voice with Fried Chicken for the homeless. dude is a 2-3 train mainstay.b,121b,121I just had dinner with a friend that works at a outreach/soup kitchen up in UWS. Basically she noted that a great majority of the persons she comes into contact with are getting some assistance from the state. She's as liberal as the day is long, but she did mention that most times she'd rather see people not give money to those asking, just because you may be actually enabling them.b,121b,121My personal M.O. is pretty much a case by case basis. That said, those that entertain politely on the subway usually get some change if I have it. The mariachi singers on the subway automatically get a buck, just cuz that shit reminds me of back in Texas. And a few months ago a quaint older gentlemen in a suit did a straight up magic trick in the subway, with pigeon an all. Figured the effort was worth some money.

My personal M.O. is pretty much a case by case basis. That said, those that entertain politely on the subway usually get some change if I have it. The mariachi singers on the subway automatically get a buck, just cuz that shit reminds me of back in Texas. And a few months ago a quaint older gentlemen in a suit did a straight up magic trick in the subway, with pigeon an all. Figured the effort was worth some money.

street performance and bumming change are two entirely different things in my eyes

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    well, rarely around here

but rural areas, down south, west coast, southwest...sure

i actually have picked up a couple hitchers around philly...usually car break downs

when I was living on green st. (philly) I picked up a hitchhiker. Then I noticed she was a junky. She NEEDED some cash for a fix and she was willing to go the extra mile for it if you know what i mean. Totally freaked out I told she got to get the F out of my car. The police were behind me and she freaked out and asked me to drop her off around the corner. I obliged. My hitchhiker game has been off ever since.

hahaha. me and my buddy picked up a couple kids on 7th and vine years ago. they were coming from some concert, the girl was a little bloody and both were drunk. they begged us to brng them somewhere where they could ge a ride to west chester...we had no clue so we drove them home if they paid for gas. dude fell asleep within minutes (nagl). girl talked our heads off the whole way but at destination wawa gave us seventy bucks and a bunch of food. so it worked out

• me and my friends use to pick up hitchhikers when we were younger so we could get them to buy us beer, we use to F*ck with them too and lock all the doors and stop, they try to get in and we would take off laughing, i don't do that shit anymore, and no i never give money to beggars, i usually tell them to F*ck off

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    One day I want to have a legion of android beggars spread out across the globe who are programmed to remit all of the money they collect back to me through the mail.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    i'm cycling through cambodia as we speak and wealth/poverty is a strange duck down here, i never give money or food, they will get by just fine, betta believe it, it's way harder coming up in the first world, those streetdonations seem more useful

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One day I want to have a legion of android beggars spread out across the globe who are programmed to remit all of the money they collect back to me through the mail.

While you wait for technology to catch up to your idea there are Religious Cults out there cashing in on these dollars right now!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    And I give double if you're missing and extremity.

Last year I saw a fairly good looking one-legged woman panhandling in Austin.

Her sign read "Need Help: On My Last Leg".

I cannot feign sympathy for amputees, all I do is think of a friend of mine that Rock I know you have probably seen around the metroplex, Carl Pack...dude is 6'7", has one leg, works a couple jobs, supports 3 kids, a wife and ex-wife, plays in a band, and back in the day would stage dive...no prosthetic limb, just f*cking hops...dude is made of iron...and rides a bike(!) when the weather is nice...

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    In the first world yes, in the developing world generally no.

????

You meant to say it the other way around, no?

I don't hand out any cash to bums in Canada because I'm already paying for that sh*t through taxes and find it to be quite irritating. Whenever I go to South America I'll try and give some money if someone asks because I know there's no way in hell they can count on their local governments for help.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I cannot feign sympathy for amputees, all I do is think of a friend of mine that Rock I know you have probably seen around the metroplex, Carl Pack...dude is 6'7", has one leg, works a couple jobs, supports 3 kids, a wife and ex-wife, plays in a band, and back in the day would stage dive...no prosthetic limb, just f*cking hops...dude is made of iron...and rides a bike(!) when the weather is nice...

Bartender Extrordinaire...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Bartender Extrordinaire...

awesome!