How much did you spend on music PURCHASING in 2008

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Just curious. I know my purchasing habits have definitely changed over the past few years. I also know a lot of people on here barely buy music at all... So I was wondering what people were working with. I spent over 2 grand on digital downloads alone, not to mention CDs and vinyl.

Comments

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I'd say I spent $1000 total.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• Stuntin' is a habit.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    $3000-$5000 (maybe half that out-of-pocket though)

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Probably something like 10 grand, but I sold about 8 grand of records so it doesn't net out too bad.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    hi e. cos. bake.....

a few g's including downloads but i can only estimate, i sort of don't wanna know for sure. but lately i have been a dollar bin binna.
    2009, refine, deklein, and reklein in a cross legged seated position with better records only.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Wine definitely exceeded vinyl this year.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Way too much, embarassed to even say the number. My wife is super pissed.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

You have to spend an equal dollar amount on gifts for your wife. This will: (1) make your wife happy; and (2) dissuade you from buying too many records, because who the hell wants to spend all that money on their wife.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    WINE CELLAR

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    The real question is how can we (non-record store owners) write that shit off for 2008. Any tax people up in here?

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    1500-2500 on vinyl. REGGAE vinyl will hurt U! Out of that 100-500 on ebay and other online sources.

Another 200 - 300 in digital downloads (dancetracksdigital or traxsource) The rest in local NY shops.

2000 in recording equipment (MPC, Technics cd turntable, behringer 12 track mixer)

• HamHam 872 Posts
    maybe, 1500 dollars? wow.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

You have to spend an equal dollar amount on gifts for your wife.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

You have to spend an equal dollar amount on gifts for your wife. This will: (1) make your wife happy; and (2) dissuade you from buying too many records, because who the hell wants to spend all that money on their wife.

Throw her a $100 bill and tell her to walk across the bridge in a foot of snow and get a steak at Peter Luger's.

The question is how much did you make on records this last year?

It was a slow year...I spent about $12K

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

This is a man who knows how to play the game.

As for me, I probably spent a couple grand on records last year. I was also selling stuff off, then taking that money and buying new stuff, which certainly helped improve my collection without hurting the bottom line too much.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

I spent way too much but have no one to answer to other than myself right now so I'm balling it up while I still can... records, cars, clothes, travel, etc. But I'm a successful young professional so it's all good

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Cosmo,

I didn't spend a lot (around $600 at Groove Merchant in San Fran), because I was stackin' bread to buy the crib. I did spend a grip on beer and liquor though. I had to chill on the record-tip to avoid "The Wrath of Wifey." I'll make up for this year when I'm setting up my home studio (yeeaaah!!!!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Def not the most I've spent in a year, def not the least. I'd say about $4 g's.

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts

Throw her a $100 bill and tell her to walk across the bridge in a foot of snow and get a steak at Peter Luger's.

WHOLE COW

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Too damn much. I think there was one month where I went over $1,500 alone. Though I'm slowing my roll right now with the belt tightening and all.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Let's see...150 12"s at $80 a record = $12,000.

I'm a serious collecteur, yo.

Dude....I hope the ex-to be doesn't see this and tell her lawyer she wants $6K as her share.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

tenderized texan rump

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Im fortunate, I find most of my records for between $1-$10, I spent a $100+ on a few pieces...but mostly all field finds. Did more trading than usual as well. Im thinking I averaged about spending $50-60 a month...but value wise Im sure I scooped about $3000-4000 worth of stuff this past year...it was a slow year as $ was tighter than usual...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    WINE CELLAR

An Expedit cube holds over a case of wine.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Listening To Music:
    Records: 50 dollars?
    PUTS CD: 15 dollars?

Playing Music:
    Tenor Banjo: 500 dollars
    20s and 30s Fake Book: 50 dollars
    Washboard/Kazoos/Slide Whistle: 30 dollars

Total:
    Appr. 650 dollars.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    only the shadow knows......

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    like $2500 on music, $1500 on equipment.