FRANCE

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Two chargebacks in one week.Any of you pro-sellers mandate Express/Priority shipping?I mandate insurance, which at least covers my ass in the end... but it burns me up that these dudes are getting free records.Advice?

Comments

• dont accept bidders from france.

• That's not an option, they're the only ones bidding!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    F*ck those fuckers! Seriously. I will only ship registered to France. I had a bidder two weeks back win two high priced items from France and he told me there was no way he was going to pay for registered shipping. Well I told him NO WAY will I be sending him records either. I got burnt a few times by those Fuckers. F*ck them. DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO FRANCE.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I don't see why PAYPAL has not caught on yet? Also, had a british bloke get me for $750!!!! Ouch. A HOLE. If I ever come across this guy it's on and poppin.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i refuse to ship to France anymore just because of this.

here is the question i have. you register something. is the buyer still in the clear? or even you provide a registered number can they do a chargeback?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I usually ship FedEx for the baller pieces. Am I not protected even with a registered courier ?

It boggles my mind how these mf'ers get away with chargebacks like they do.

They give France a bad naaaame.

• Express Mail is the only fully guaranteed service. And it's cheaper than Fed-Ex/DHL/UPS.

At least using Endicia, I'm covered by the insurance... but I'm not gonna lie shit has me tight right now!

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    is it the bidders or the postal system...ive had 2 packages returned too me after about 8 weeks and 1 chargeback...

• I'm inclined to think it's the postal system... but when the items finally arrive, do these guys give the money back? Hell no!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    the French postal system is notoriously wack. of course every one that i know from France that is actually honest says they never had a problem receiving packages and always say some other country is the shitty one

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Where are our french ss's on here? Can they vouch for the country?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Too much ennui to post.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I already posted something about our postal system a while ago and helped someone to get thru issues. The postal system is one of the worse. Worse than Burma sometimes. IF you want to feel better, it's the same when we post from FR to US. I had some many packages lost or delivered 2 months after, I basically stopped resorting to the french postal system to send anything. I use FedEx or UPS even for letters!!
    The bad part is that there's nothing you can do about it but suffer in silence. I would recommend to do something you guys din't usually do which is to send a valid phone number and have a a convo. Usually, they're scared to do so and won't try to bid and chargeback. This is not a second nature or a mistake, this is a scam. French bidders spend coutless hours doing the same thing to a load of people until they get banned. They usually go too far and sometimes get fined or sued. I know a dude who spent 8 months in the pen for selling a SP1200 that he never had. He cashed the money and went ghost. Woooof. Maybe it's in the genes, I don't know. IT just so happen that french ebayers are not to be trusted! Same goes for the french postal system!

• This goes all the way back to Napoleon.

• what about incoming packages from france into the u.s? have you guys had any problems?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Hello SoulStrut

• Where are our french ss's on here? Can they vouch for the country?

I'm tired with this subject..
    Why you just don't stop to selling shit? Bad taste 80's funk for days? Then french bidders will disappear.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Why you just don't stop to selling shit? Bad taste 80's funk for days? Then french bidders will disappear.

Brilliant reasoning: It is Johnnys fault that French bidders don't pay him after he, the record store owner, sells a record and ships the record to them: he just should not have sold it in the first place.

Johnny: Let this be a lesson.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    lucky me none of my recs shipped to france or received from french guys disappeared

• I am not convinced it is just the postal system, this shit seems to only happen with moder/boogie/disco shit...I ship tons of other type of records to France, jazz, classical, rockabilly and have never had a problem with those...also, it is funny that folks that order stuff directly from the store (no paypal, no ebay) always get their stuff quickly, never have had a problem...the store has been open for 20 years and has been doing mailorder for 19 and the owner said this kind of shit never happened in the past. It is ALWAYS with the jehri curl steeze paid for via paypal...the choice of music and payment options of French criminals I suppose....

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Brilliant reasoning: It is Johnnys fault that French bidders don't pay him after he, the record store owner, sells a record and ships the record to them: he just should not have sold it in the first place.

I think you're pretty much spot on there NZ.

A dude of Johhny's calibre should get some intern to do spreadsheet analysis on sales to La France. If the percentage of cash lost to scammers is of a painful enough level, Johnny got to stop accepting 80s slap bass modern boogie vogueing heaters in trade in the shop.
    Set up reciprocal deals in Europe. Ship all your fiended-by-the-French to shops in London, Germany or elsewhere in Europe where the Republique's finest visit frequently. In return take on tons of Depeche Mode, Flock of Seagulls and other stuff that rides in the US but gets the finger from righteous euromens.
    Everyone's a winner.

BTW NZ
    Your sycophancy:

• Where are our french ss's on here? Can they vouch for the country?

About my reasoning:
    - first it's a shame you don't understand humor/2nd degree in my post
    - second this reasoning is as stupid as posting a 1000th thread about what was discuss a thousand times here
    - third if you don't want to have problem with gangsters you don't sell drugs

• Hey now, I'm just trying to figure out why it's this ONE place I have a problem with. I don't even have problems in Italy anymore. It's almost always France.

I have nothing against French people. I am seriously just trying to understand a bit better what the problem is - it seems to me that posters from France are saying that it's both (the postal system sucks, and a lot of buyers are dishonest).

And that the music/scene breeds these kinds of buyers.

If that's not what you're saying, please correct me.

• Hey now, I'm just trying to figure out why it's this ONE place I have a problem with. I don't even have problems in Italy anymore. It's almost always France.

I have nothing against French people. I am seriously just trying to understand a bit better what the problem is - it seems to me that posters from France are saying that it's both (the postal system sucks, and a lot of buyers are dishonest).

Yeah I know, just fed up with the agressivity and "don't sell anything to France" type of clever quote.
    I honestly think this is 90% a problem of modern soul/80s funk buyers in France. These guys used to steal records in the records fair in the 90s, now they adapted themselves to the internet. If it was the post system I would have problem myself, as I send more than 50 packages every monthes. The cases I had in 4/5 years of pro-selling can be counted on two hands maximum. Same on the opposite: I received 99% of my packages coming from worldwide.
    French guys from SS stop saying it's a post problem, this is hypocrisy.

• That makes sense. I would say 2/3 of the time the buyer is young. And maybe this makes me a racist, but they're often Arab/North African.

• That makes sense. I would say 2/3 of the time the buyer is young. And maybe this makes me a racist, but they're often Arab/North African.

I will not follow you on this way. But speaking of names, why US sellers (at least those who're on SS) don't make a names/adresses data-base to identify these stealers? I'm quiet sure this is always the 4 or 5 same guys. From Paris that modern soul scene looks totally microscopic and ol'fashion: no clubs, no parties..and always the same 3 or 4 guys in records fairs that are now well known and looked after, from Paris to Utrecht.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The modern soul dudes in my experience are north Africans and Arabs from Southern France. Toulouse, Lyons, Nice. I just don't understand what happens. It is all very frustrating.

Yeah I know, just fed up with the agressivity and "don't sell anything to France" type of clever quote.
    I honestly think this is 90% a problem of modern soul/80s funk buyers in France. These guys used to steal records in the records fair in the 90s, now they adapted themselves to the internet. If it was the post system I would have problem myself, as I send more than 50 packages every monthes. The cases I had in 4/5 years of pro-selling can be counted on two hands maximum. Same on the opposite: I received 99% of my packages coming from worldwide.
    French guys from SS stop saying it's a post problem, this is hypocrisy.

fwiw, I've only ever shipped ONE thing to France and it never made it. It was a DVD.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    It would be nice to know who these bidders are to protect future fraudulent activity against ebay sellers... any chance you guys have been compiling a list of these individuals?

It is a strange phenomenon indeed...but to blame it on a country is unfair and it definitely limits you as a seller (unless you are selling blistering psych nuggets, which in my experience is not as popular with the french bidders).

Google the names of the people who do the chargebacks too , sometimes you can get hints about who they are (possible DJ aliases, Facebook pages) and you can possibly get more info about whether they seem legit or whether they are

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    lol i just realized my icon is Zidane who happens to be french. no i am not french. haha