FRANCE

2»

Comments

• FlashaFlasha 20 Posts
    I've sent quite a few records to France and have had no problems...

Saying that, there's been a couple of occasions when the buyers have sent me emails asking me whether I'd sent the records or not...ie. the record took longer than expected to get there, like 10 days instead of 5, that is a postal problem not the buyers.

Making blanket generalisations is never fair...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's not a blanket generalization. This is literally the only country where I have these problems. And ask any US dealer of soul or disco, and they have the same stories. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

I ship all over the world, and it's not Colombia, Mexico, Russia, Italy, Brazil... just France. France is the problem here.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It's not a blanket generalization. This is literally the only country where I have these problems. And ask any US dealer of soul or disco, and they have the same stories. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

I ship all over the world, and it's not Colombia, Mexico, Russia, Italy, Brazil... just France. France is the problem here.

How much would it kill you to stop selling to France?

I'm considering it... but that's not really fair to the French buyers who have not been a problem. Furthermore, a lot of these records ONLY sell to France. So, yeah, it would be somewhat of an issue.

The less costly measure to take (at least, on my end) is to require Express Shipping to France. It's $40 for one LP (as opposed to $13) but there is signature confirmation and tracking all the way through.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Why don't you only accept Paypal payments from France if the buyer pays for FedEx.
    Otherwise, only accept Western Union from France.

That's the idea - although I would choose USPS Express Mail - it's cheaper and functions the same as Fed Ex.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Saying that, there's been a couple of occasions when the buyers have sent me emails asking me whether I'd sent the records or not...ie. the record took longer than expected to get there, like 10 days instead of 5, that is a postal problem not the buyers.

Sending impatient emails after 5 days when dealing with any kind of shipping outside of your own country is ridiculous. The turnaround can be so erratic, and you can't even say that this or that country is always on point (although some countries mail services are of course straight up doodoo).

I've had day-to-day as well as one-month delivery from the UK to Denmark.
    I've had packages shipped from the US by air mail take longer to get here than records sent by surface mail from Canada. Other times, I've seen a US package sent on Friday arrive on Monday.
    5 day service from Argentina, and once in a blue moon 5 day service within Denmark
    And I've never lost anything in the mail (knock on wood).
    I don't start worrying until at least a month has passed.

Re: the french boogie men, I'd go for the mandatory express shipping to France solution. Yeah, it's a little unfair to the honest dudes, but that's how it is when a few bozos F*ck it up for everyone else.

• I have never understood why pro sellers trust in system that enables security risks like chargebacks. E-Commerce selling is build upon software. No one would accept software outside e-commerce activities with open backdoors like chargebacks.

Maybe it's a different point of view. In Germany most sellers only use paypal for international transactions, many still deny it (for good reasons). As far as i have heard stories about US people it's just too common to use credit cards. Over here bank account transfers are the most secure (and fastest) way of transfering money (not only promising the transfer of money which can be called back any time) having a credit card is the exception (as well as there are different systems here running under the same name "credit card").

On the "wack postal delivery system" topic:
    I have been personally involved into some troubles where registered packages got lost. I am not sure about laws in US, but here a commercial seller is forced by laws to write his full address to the public. A high number of package loss by commercial ebay sellers using a certain big company here seems to be because of an organised form of stealing. Maybe there is a some similar problem over there?

Some other discussion:
    Do you think cheap paid postal office workers being afraid to lose their job in different times will be more reliable in the future?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I have never understood why pro sellers trust in system that enables security risks like chargebacks. E-Commerce selling is build upon software. No one would accept software outside e-commerce activities with open backdoors like chargebacks.

All credit card charges can be disputed. Doesn't matter if it's a record bought online or a bag of Apples you bought at your grocery store. That's the rules in the USA at least.

• All edit card charges can be disputed. Doesn't matter if it's a record bought online or a bag of Apples you bought at your grocery store. That's the rules in the USA at least.

Yes- that's what i mean. Where's the security for the seller/shop owner?

Different (more economic question):
    You read a lot about coming customer bankrupts these days due to using credit cards where they can't pay the final invoice. Does a shop get the money immediately by the credit card company when a customer purchases something and is that safe for them or is the shop affected when the customer can't pay his card invoice?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    maybe there's a boogie-loving french postman at the core of all this...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    oh, and by the way:

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    You dudes really should be taking this up with Le Forum Funk.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    IMG SRC=http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7964/part51lagrandenuitdelafoo3.png>
    IMG SRC=http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1949/part52lagrandenuitdelafbx6.png>

TEH BELLY OF TEH BEAST

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    HAHAHA that first DJ was spinning at THE notorious prostitute nightclub in Copacabana.

GUARANTEES 100% BLACK MUSIC!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I registered.
    The site is hilarious.
    They have a gallery of Narada Michael Walden pics for fukk's sake!

Tell them that if they do not cease with le chargebacks immediately we start smashing all the Don Blackman & Michael Wycoff records left in America.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Damn, that site is incredible.
    I bet there is many a lost record to be found under "LP-Covers".
    Le Black Hole De La Black Musique.