Veteran of the Strut? SUMMARIZE YOURSELF

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    All you recording nerds...I need Help! rajmahal 3 11-15-2001 12:21 PM

heh

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

almost five years ago, and the discussions look the same.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    My name is Eli and in the real world I write about foreign affairs for the New York Sun and other political magazines. In a month, I'm moving from DC to Cairo with my lady who just won a fulbright. I have a bunch of records, two and a half expedits worth. I used to freestyle a bunch, but have far less time these days. I came to the strut more than two years ago when I was online looking up information on a Solomon Burke record and discovered Motown's reviews. In the real world I've met Motown, Fatback, Neville C and Schnipper, who are all good dudes. On this site I am probably best known for defending the Iraq war and the excellence of Rawkus records. For these opinions I have been compared to Archaic, the banned strutter who has speculated that al-Qaeda did not plan 9-11 and apparently has extensive knowledge of Houston hip hop. I pretty much love everything about the strut, but particularly all the beefs. That doo-doo brown thing was hilarious until dude mentioned the gas chambers.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Chris actually started a post topic!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

But seriously, why are you posting a shirtless pic of yourself with bed-mussed hair?

I realize the suspect quality of the picture. It was from a recent canoe trip up in the Boundary Waters. All of the other pictures featuring me show me either shooting a sawed-off or posing with one.

This one is less ridiculous.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    what ever happened to Dreidel (W*rms*r)?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

I can't remember when I started posting here.....got to be round about late 2000 or something like that.

Did I ever start a thread??

• chrischris 287 Posts

Chris actually started a post topic!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

don't know if ya'll still do this:

BOOKING!!!
    Soul Strut DJs (A.K.A. The Vinyl Ballaz) are available for hire and spin everything from rare funk, breaks, and beats to Rod Stewart? Book us for your event, college dorm party, or Bar Mitvah. Fire eating and 30-foot drum risers available on demand! E-mail us for further details

but my nephew is having a party at diversey rock n bowl next month. come thru!

• I think I joined in November 2002 (2001?) or something like that. Meaty put me on to the site. I enjoyed reading most of the posts and would chime in occasionally. When the board crashed, I was reluctant to sign up again...haha. For some reason, my brain couldn't comprehend the new digs. Well I got over that fairly quickly but I still don't post too consistently, although I read the board pretty much everyday.

Aside from that, I'm 24 and I've lived in Chicago for almost 6 years. I was born/grew up in Michigan before that. I finished up my undergrad and haven't got a job in a related field yet. I still make beats and hope to have some more shit done by the fall. I went on tour in Europe earlier this year and that was a lot of fun, I still run Heardrums Records (slowly but surely), still dig, and still smoke the top shelf greens. Recently, I have been trying to cultivate my "private mind garden" and have been studying various techniques to gain the ability to successfully focus in the now. You may also find me in your nearest poker room stacking (moderate) chips.

My favorite posts on this board are humorous ones. Of course I appreciate and respect the knowledge of raers too. Along the way, I really haven't grown to dislike anyone on here except during a disagreement on the Ron Artest thing last season (I'm a devout Pistons fan) but that soon passed. I've enjoyed chillin with Strutters (offline) many-a-times out here in Chicago at the Soul night, in Michigan, and in Canada (Thanks K!). Also got to meet a few European strutters this year too, fun times. I think I may have put Breakself onto the board, along with the infamous DrewNice, and maybe a couple others (dj pi).

So as far as time is concerned, I could be a veteran, although my posts do not follow those numbers. Either way, this place is valuable to me and I respect a lot of people on here.

• Options

don't post too much, topics come back around for umpeententh times

And that includes this thread here - an earlier version ran five months ago ("Diggers Roll Call," Feb. 14 - check the archives). But I find both versions interesting; no complaints from me...

Yeah I was kinda worried about starting this thread because I figured it would repeat-steez.

don't get me wrong ya'll, I've no prob with topics coming back around, shit thats life, I was just saying that just don't feel compelled to post in the 4th 'funky reggae' thread in 6 months, or the 'favourite OSTs' thread, or the 81st 'what do you think of madlib' thread etc etc ..

I must of missed 3 of those funky reggae threads. Prolly at the cottage.

MY name is Kevin and I've been around here ever since purchasing Raj's Phil Lehman revenge CD Good Goodness which had the acoustic quality of a 6 generation recordable 8-track, S'all good, I was intrigued nonetheless.

I started collecting while apprenticing at my older friends DJ crew back in the early 80's. Think the first 12 I bought was Run's Sucker MC's. I really saw the potential of dealing records at a young age when my friend was offered $100 for "Top Billin'" - he had got it from a cousin in New York and was the only one playing it at the time. Main interests are calypso/caribbean and aro funk/soul, hard 60's latin (mostly eminating from SOuth American (Columbia)), middle eastern ska, disco/rap 12's, reggae funk/soul, modern soul (the earlier soulful generally 45 non-guzzo type), Brooklyn/NY and Toronto 70's roots, and anything else you can convince me off. Been dealing since my 2nd year of University (mid/early 90's) and eventually quite my job at the bank (left my tie on the bosses desk) to do it full-time (after realizing I was making more money doing it on the side than I was at the bank). Kind of pride myself in spinning/dealing stuff askew of the norm. Dig hanging with my Grandmother, very long bike rides, dropping rain on unsupecting defenders, crushing a meter-back at Ashbriges beach (or elsewhere), the odd muay-thai spar, good parties with open minded people, and...soulstrut. MEt a couple of you out in the real world (if you can call my cottage that), Raj, Breaks, SOnicR, Otis, Cardova, Dreas, Dave, also Fatback, Haz, Danno3, Miss B (my partner in crime), Catalist, Blaz, Dubious, I must have rubbed shoulders with Aser but I can't put a name to the face.

K in Canada.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I think I was around for that. Most active thread; 40 posts.

Dan

In a month, I'm moving from DC to Cairo with my lady who just won a fulbright.

Congratulations. How much Arabic do you speak? Do you speak any Kurdish?

In the real world I've met Motown, Fatback, Neville C and Schnipper, who are all good dudes.

What world did we meet in? Please to rate my dudness.

Dan

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    Dan,

My apologies. Dan is super dude. We met in DC last summer in Adams Morgan. He came to my crib. I offered him beer, he asked for juice. It was cool. My bad. And I speak hardly any Arabic, but Sharon speaks a little more. And I speak no Kurdish.

Eli

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Where is:

dreidel menorah
    eyeluvmpc
    waxwerk
    lepoohpooh
    WaxJunky
    Paul E. Styrene

?????????????

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    my name is audrey and i'm 26. i've only been here for 1 year and 4 months, so i'm not really a veteran, but i had known a lot of posters here long before i was active. i have more rock records than rap records even though i started collecting rap first. my biggest record regret was selling my promo of de la's clearlake audiotorium.

3 albums i could never get sick of are:

NRR things I like are comedy, dancing, art, movies, making tings, my boyfriend, and my boyfriend's roommate's dog Arbuckle:

i like soulstrut most of the time and my major contributions were these two graemlins

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Looks like I first signed up in august of 2002.

3 years in 1 month!

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Well I don???t think I was that far behind the OG???s in signing up to Soul Strut and while I???ve certainly never been the most prolific poster I have checked the site almost daily since way be when.

I???v seen the sight go through various stages my favourite being the Beef-Strut stage when a couple of rather argumentative but very articulate and knowledgeable guys first turned up.

I learnt a lot from this site and hope I???ve contributed back on occasion.

Meet a few guys out in the real world and had some great times (diggin with Sheep in JP was nuts).

I???ve been collecting vinyl since I was a young kid. The first record I bought was Rainbow???s ???All night long??? (my Grandmother paid for it, she was a record collector too! Though on the Easy tip).

I???m now 34 still trying to bboy/somehow winging it as a producer/and still mixing terribly.

Where is:

dreidel menorah

I thought he was secret chimp.

My profile says: 11/06/03 12:43 PM and that I'm # 313. I am unclear if those #s go back to the beginning.

Dan

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

My name is Dante Carfagna and I coined the term "private boner."

• edubedub 715 Posts

Soul Strut DJs (A.K.A. The Vinyl Ballaz) are available for hire and spin everything from rare funk, breaks, and beats to Rod Stewart? Book us for your event, college dorm party, or Bar Mitvah. Fire eating and 30-foot drum risers available on demand! E-mail us for further details.

Vinyl Ballaz... member #1??...... heads wanna know

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    when i first started posting i used my real name tom noble.

thining about switching my username to tandy.

i say facemelting alot nowadays because of this board.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    when i first started posting i used my real name tom noble.

thining about switching my username to tandy.

i say facemelting alot nowadays because of this board.

TANDY:

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

I live, sleep, eat, and smoke music. Soulstrut is filled with the same kind of people. so I stay here.

• Where is:

dreidel menorah
    eyeluvmpc
    waxwerk
    lepoohpooh
    WaxJunky
    Paul E. Styrene

?????????????

Present!

Oh yeah...me? Well, been on here since the very early versions of this site. (2000 - 2001?)..."Goodwill In Harlem" caught my eye and I've been pseudo-lurking ever since!
    For real tho, I rarely post up here. Most often it's because the threads develope at such a fast pace I end up reading them and eventually reading something along the lines of what I would have written(but was beaten to!).

Some background bio type info...
    Been collecting since 14, seriously since 17.
    Got a band thing going on lately which has been putting my focus outside of the black plastic. Crossing my fingers hoping it goes well!
    Deejay for the majority of my cash(Design to make some extra on the side).

I know a bunch of the Toronto/Montreal folk(soufriere, missbassie, aser, catalist, etc...) but have never met anyone from the States/Europe.

*i just realized it took me over 2 years to finally create an avatar!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    (left my tie on the bosses desk)

that is really cool. Too bad I dont wear a tie, otherwise I would quit today just to do that.

On the old site a long thread went 40 posts. Now it takes 118 post just to summerize the vets.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    REAL VETERANS DON'T DIE. WE MULTIPLY...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21My name is Dante Carfagna and I coined the term "private boner." b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21...and he doesn't seem to regret it yet...