Why Didnt Someone Tell Me How Good This Record Was

ThermosThermos 307 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
KC and the Sunshine Band - S/TI always thought that KC was for cornballs because of "play that funky music whiteboy." Damn was I sleeping. This shit is so clean and funky. So well produced. So many jams. I'm about to punch somebody like when they didn't tell Arsenio Hall how good the cheese was.

Comments

• Dog,

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You should punch whoever told you "Play That Funky Music" was a K.C. song, too.

And take a minute to read up on your read ups, re: TK Records

• Damn. Well I guess that clears that one up. I'll file that under one of those misconceptions I formed when I was around 10 years old and was never corrected until now.

• Awesome.

• Chocolate cake! I want to go to there....

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

Internet does this too. So many times this song pops up on limewire or napster or some shit tagged as being sung by James Brown, the commodores etc....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Internet does this too. So many times this song pops up on limewire or napster or some shit tagged as being sung by James Brown, the commodores etc....

Now that's just blasphemous.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    KC and the Sunshine Band - S/T

I always thought that KC was for cornballs because of "play that funky music whiteboy." Damn was I sleeping. This shit is so clean and funky. So well produced. So many jams. I'm about to punch somebody like when they didn't tell Arsenio Hall how good the cheese was.

Most of the KC catalog is solid. File this experience under, "Don't believe everything you hear."

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I used to bang "I Get Lifted" all the time at my Friday night spot years ago and every other week some guy would ask what it was and I'd say "KC and the Sunshine Band" and they'd be like, "What?!? Really? Wow." People don't even know.

• I forget which thread it was, but we were talking about this in a recent Soul Strut disco discussion...about how most of KC's stuff from the seventies was like ONE step away from being a private-press funk group...even some of his hits, like "That's The Way I Like It" and alla that, were pretty raw compared to what the other disco labels/artists/producers were putting down...hell, I think disco sucks for damn sure and even I love me some KC

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I like how "Keep It Comin Love" just drops on the LP. Plus, that song is sweet.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I ride for "Boogie Shoes."

• I always liked the 45 "Hey J" but i think thats just the sunshine band.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Man, there was an epidemic of mistitling with crimson and clover by TJ and the Shondells. Millions of people had that song tagged as Velvet Undergound back in the 00/01. Never sounded exactly right, and the truth was eventually revealed when i copped that TJ.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    most of KC's stuff from the seventies was like ONE step away from being a private-press funk group...even some of his hits, like "That's The Way I Like It" and alla that, were pretty raw compared to what the other disco labels/artists/producers were putting down...hell, I think disco sucks for damn sure and even I love me some KC

I feel the same way about BT Express