Malt Vinegar???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
UK brothers - what do u put this on?Fish and Chips? I copped today.Is there a preferred brand? Homeade?

Comments

• I get down with malt vinegar on some steak fries.

• Options
    I get down with malt vinegar on some steak fries.

• It's all about the french fried pertaters....[/b]

• Options
    ^^^^^^^

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    UK brothers - what do u put this on?

Fish and Chips?

I copped today.

Is there a preferred brand? Homeade?

Yep, it's an essential condiment for fish & chips, but I usually lash a bit of it onto mushy peas as well (Northerners, stand up). Sarsons is the brand of choice for me. I've never tried making it myself, though, and I wouldn't really know how, to be perfectly honest.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    What Doc says. A good portion of fish and chips should be swimming in this.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It's also VG++ on this stuff

The Sarsons factory used to be located just to the south of Tower Bridge and my train would go over the factory on the way to work everyday.
    The smell of the Sarsons would elicit the Pavlovian response and a craving for cod n chips even at 7am.

The factory has now been turned into an apartment block called the Maltings or some such.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    and on salads
    realvinegarheadzknowthedealeth

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Would highly recommend a splattering of onion vinegar to go with the malt as well.

This conversation is not doing my hungover desire to run away from work and sit on a park bench by the sea eating fish and chips any good at all.

It's also VG++ on this stuff

Yeah, my girl is a genuine, real-life Cockney, born within the sound of Bow Bells, and she absolutely swears by pie & mash.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

What are those? Naans? Rotti? The green sauce? That cucumber stuff?

Yeah, my girl is a genuine, real-life Cockney, born within the sound of Bow Bells, and she absolutely swears by pie & mash.

Those are Pies? Just the lids? Or did somebody sit on them?

Dude, please.

Cardboard pastry filled with unidentified meat product scraped off of abbatoir walls (potential also for pie-dispensing wench sliced finger pieces)
    Lumpy mash, often crumbly, always netral taste
    Parsley sauce a.k.a. liquor
    Dash of Sarsons

usual order: 2 pie 2 mash and liquor
    Definitely no jellied eels

What's your outlet of choice, skel? Arments?

When Her Ladyship is jonesin' for some pie & mash, it's usually Kelly's on Bethnal Green Road, or Cooke's on Hoxton Street, where the veggie alternative is very good indeed.

Dude, please.

Cardboard pastry filled with unidentified meat product scraped off of abbatoir walls (potential also for pie-dispensing wench sliced finger pieces)
    Dash of Sarsons

and there was me thinking it was something inedible.

I like Kelly's, and Churchill's in Nunhead was excellent until they closed down last year.
    Simon's on the Old Kent Road ditto.

I still think you can't beat a Manzies, although there's certainly less of them by the year. There's one in Chapel Market still I think. Used to be a time when every high street had at least one shop, and most families would get a take out once a week.
    It was also a traditional pre-match beer-absorber on a Saturday lunchtime.

I kind of lament the fact that these glorious green-tiled emporiums are being done to death by other fast food joints, but have to admit that, from a healthy eating p.o.v., the pie n mash regime must be fated to fade away.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Malt Vinegar (and maybe extra salt) essential for consumption of chips (AKA Fries) in any guise. Not a big chippy eater, despite being Northern, but on a freezing cold Sunday afternoon in Matlock, nothing like necking these outside with a faint topping of snow for added seasonal interest (April)...

Is that more of the burgeoning Jimster motor fleet in the background?

BTW vinegar is also good for de-icing the windscreen on deep winter mornings. The downside is the lingering stench in and around the whip. Of course you don't put it on the inside, but nevertheless you can't stop those aromas from entering via air vents.

Nah, I am running 2 Saabs since time, no over-decorated-arse-end Mondeo re-skins for me, thank you. Plus you have to be lucky to get a waterfront slot in Matlock - it's usually end-to-end (well, side-to-side) posh bikes. I reckon if you had the spheres to face off 200 bikers, you could cause a "Bike Domino" run costing ??250K easily.

Nice day out though, and 25 mins for us. Bakewell and Buxton are just a bit further down the A6 should you get up early enough. Beautiful places, any time of year. A lot of red-socked real-ale types around, but I manage to find the cafes without the need of a GPS, clown gear, or an OS-map around my neck.

Lakes is the realness, but wife has a hard time keeping me out of the mountain-bike shops. But when a bike costs more than my motors, combined, she need not worry.

"Made from Eigenvectored synthetic spider-webs, you say?"

Vaguely remember staying for a week in a place called Tibshelf circa 1974.
    IIRC, it was quite backward and many folks there were retarded, possibly inbred.
    No offence to Tibshelfians, natch.

And on said week, visited the leisure centre in Matlock, which must have been one of the very first in the country. I distinctly remember local the Tibshelfish looking upon Matlock as if it were the Emerald City.

"Shofishticated? Don't talk to me about shofishticated. I've been to Leeds."

The consensus of Tibshelf here is that it has an M1 Service Station and er... That's it. Since Maggie shut the pits, it's become one of those places best avoided. Defo will be inbred, probably full of unskilled wifebeating ex-miners on heroin after spuking their NCB payoffs on Caravans and American cars. Think 40-something blokes walking around in polyester shell-suit bottoms, white socks and slippers outdoors, barechested but kept warm by tatts and big gold.

Edit: "South Yorkshire and the North Midlands' local radio station, Hallam FM has a regular feature on its Sunday evening show called 'The Tibshelf Report', in which fictional villagers supposedly living in Tibshelf are the subject of ridicule."

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Damn, I am hungry as hell after reading this thread.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    BTW vinegar is also good for de-icing the windscreen on deep winter mornings.

And when added with brown paper, ideal for mending for mending bumped heads, if my childhood has taught me correctly.

-

Batmon.

You could try making pickled onions. Maybe not with the good vinegar, some cheaper pickling malt vinegar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A655535

• Best Pie 'n' Mash I've had is without doubt 'Harringtons' in Tooting. The secret to it's success? Eel Stock in the liquor.

I moved to Camberwell a couple of years ago & I went to Manzies in Peckham with my old man, it was ok but the liquor was bland.

• BTW vinegar is also good for de-icing the windscreen on deep winter mornings.

And when added with brown paper, ideal for mending for mending bumped heads, if my childhood has taught me correctly.

-

Batmon.

You could try making pickled onions. Maybe not with the good vinegar, some cheaper pickling malt vinegar.

Cool.

I've already been makin' pickled red onions in a Mexican steez. Ill check that recipe out.

• works great for cleaning records.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    BTW vinegar is also good for de-icing the windscreen on deep winter mornings.

-

Batmon.

Cool.

I've already been makin' pickled red onions in a Mexican steez. Ill check that recipe out.

They're a traditional dish(?) over here, but I don't know what a foreign pallet would make of them.

I would suggest leaving them a to pickle for much longer than a week (like that recipe suggests), more like a month, or two, then they get really strong and spicy.

Here's a different recipe that sounds better - http://101things.wordpress.com/2007/11/09/pickled-onions/

• Crazy shit... i grew up in Ocean City... Thrashers are dope... in a way though.. when I think of malt vinegar on fries I always think of the fries at BJ's by the water. How you know about thrashers?

• Options

Dude, please.

Dash of Sarsons