Veteran of the Strut? SUMMARIZE YOURSELF

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I brought Soulstrut Beats Over Bagdad to support our troops, now our trooper is posting to soulstrut.

Thanks for Beats over Baghdad. That helped me out a WHOLE lot during my tour over there.
    Peace.

• I think listening is more important than speaking, as it also enhances the speech.

bird

call

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    plaese to define veteran?

you

oh

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Neal -
    43 year old record store owner.
    Former journalist, hotel manager, bartender, grape picker, pizza deliverer, store stocker, roustabout and oyster shucker.
    Hosts an XM Radio show called "Around the World in 80 Beats" which airs Friday nights 10-12 on Channel 100.
    Resides in Washintgon, DC.
    Grew up in Atlanta.
    Record collecting since 1977 or so. Lost count in 1995.
    Likes all kinds of music but Brazilian (in all forms) is a particular favorite.
    Been know to put Leo Sayer records at the front of the pile in thrift store as a sign that he was there.
    Loves barbeque (sorry Marco), the Georgia Bulldogs and flea markets with character(s).

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I don't know how long I've been a Strut member, I know I was brought here through the actions of what was the Crates mailing list. Before Crates officially folded, I signed up here.

Music fan, record collector, artist, producer, journalist. Originally from Honolulu, currently calling the Pacific Northwest home. With my music, I have a little over 20 released albums, and a few years ago made an appearance on the Shapes One[/b] compilation on Tru-Thoughts.

Writing-wise, I've done that for the last 20 years, have written for a number of publications, both well known (Goldmine, Discoveries, The Rocket, MaximumRockNRoll), and loads of not so well known (DiscRespect, Seraphim, Psychedelic Hemisphere). Published my own fanzine for four years. Got onto the internet in October 1994, eventually started the Unofficial Wu-Tang Clan Mailing List (U-WU), which would have celebrated its 10th anniversary this coming Sunday. I would eventually do fansites for Prince Paul (who at one point wanted me to do his official site) and Ozomatli, before I realized I could do better if I archived myself. As a journalist, I write for Rap Reviews, Music For America, and Okayplayer, and continue to look for any outlets (hint hint). My last article in print was my Brainfreeze article in the debut issue of Wax Poetics. I have been asked if I have any books to my name, and other than my own name, no.

I've been a record collector for 26 years, seriously for about 23. What I know and have learned about the records and music over the years, I try to incorporate into my own. I think that's really the only way, whether it's doing a song with thought, or making something funky where the only thought is "can it make people move?"

I would like to start writing books, and I am still in the planning stages of a documentary film (non-music). I have released some 12" singles on my own label (in??10??c/t), but would like to expand and do some reissues of things I feel are of interest.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Hi. I'm Jon, age 23 (as of 7/17), currently living in the semi-rural, foothill town of Valley Springs, California, on the 10-acre estate where I've lived all but two of my 23 years. I currently attend CSU Stanislaus where I am a liberal studies major with a concentration in English. I need 20 units to complete my degree--more school awaits me after that.

I joined Soul Strut in Nov. 2001 (I think I lurked a while before that). I didn't make a lot of noise at first, but I've become more comfortable & colorful as time has progressed--the height being when the forum registration process was slack and deception reigned supreme. I have since cooled off and settled into a slightly different mode of being ($$$).

I've been buying records in the real world since 2000, on eBay since 2003, and I started selling (modestly) on eBay only a month ago. Through it all, soul strut has been a constant and valuable resource and outlet.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    how many aliases did you have?

• edubedub 715 Posts

Reynaldo
    Member # 26

can we get a top 50 list, first registered names on Soulstrut??

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I changed the game and shut the whole fucking thing down. Before me Soulstrut was weak and after me it was a wrap. Now pass me some motherfucking coffee so I can get busy before I have to move my car.

My name is Ayres. I carry Alien Iverson's records.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Happy belated bornday, Reynaldo. I always remembered your thousanth (?) post with the Soulstrut members "rating" system.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

I brought Soulstrut Beats Over Bagdad to support our troops, now our trooper is posting to soulstrut.

Thanks for Beats over Baghdad. That helped me out a WHOLE lot during my tour over there.

Peace.

wow. cool. welcome back bellcity. glad you got out of that mess

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Peace.

wow. cool. welcome back bellcity. glad you got out of that mess
    Thanks, man and once again, thanks to all who sent me some shit (I'm still rocking that AEIOU 2 in the whip ).
    Peace.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I hadn't even used the internet when Soulstrut started out. Does that make me some kind of luddite? It definitely does NOT make me a veteran. I'll get outa the way.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Nate Bizzl-tine von sconnyson of Vermont

Been listening to my parents jazz & "white heat" LP's for ever.

Started digging in 1997, I've also had a radio show on WRUV since that time as well. Not super obsessive seriously until around 1999/2000.

I've chilled a bit on the obsessiveness of tracking down artists and waiting to find things for cheap. Now just spend lots of money on shit I want.

Art & wine storage purposes only of course.

I have nothing to complain about except my increased property taxes and dislike negativity for negativity sake unless it is humorous.

I plan on having every record that I will ever need by 2010. I'm on track right now.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    oldenstylehats brought me to soulstrut while i was on the road as philahobo. that must have been late 2001. posted from a lot of libraries for two years. met a lot of yall while traveling and some of yall ive known for a lot longer. alltheway back to kindergarten and shit.
    been on the records like crack since 93-4, caused by collegiate influences up in pokizzo, new york. now i barely get out of philly. its about work (social change through nutrition, community outreach, urban gardening, education) play (basketball, biking, music) and building (always). ive met a lot of good people through the board...if i havent been in touch its just cause i dont manage my time well and im appreciating the world even though its fucked up. some people i still need to trigger trades and build with...i didnt forget. yell at me if i owe you something.

be well everyone,
    t

• This is off slightly track but I want to get in touch with P**l W*stn*y - possibly, Sims (?) in a former Soul Strut life - need to thank dude. Anyone know?

whats up dude ??
    what did i do ... ha

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Josh here...member #5 in tha house

Started on this thing way back in late 2000 I think...Meatyogre hipped me to it and told me to get on cause there was serious knowledge being dropped...so I obliged. Back then there was like 5 new posts per DAY haha...my how times have changed. I lurked for a long time cause some of those conversations were pretty intimidating.

Nowadays i chime in quite a bit more, but hardly ever on RR subjects, unless it's West Coast gangster stuff. Mostly I make jokes and talk a lil' shit. Most recently I have been ushered into stardom via my famous jpg creation featuring Grandpa Shig as a fighting karaoke singer.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Started on this thing way back in late 2000 I think...Meatyogre hipped me to it and told me to get on cause there was serious knowledge being dropped...so I obliged. Back then there was like 5 new posts per DAY haha...my how times have changed. I lurked for a long time cause some of those conversations were pretty intimidating.

Nowadays i chime in quite a bit more, but hardly ever on RR subjects, unless it's West Coast gangster stuff. Mostly I make jokes and talk a lil' shit. Most recently I have been ushered into stardom via my famous jpg creation featuring Grandpa Shig as a fighting karaoke singer.

I want to know my member #. There was a gap between Crates folding and my moving to Soulstrut, but I am hoping for low 100s.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    click on your name in the thread... you're 313.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I want to know my member #. There was a gap between Crates folding and my moving to Soulstrut, but I am hoping for low 100s.

This is so like "dude, that's a later press"

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I'm member # 1984. That's kinda creepy.

• I'm member # 1984. That's kinda creepy.

I'm #73. Does that count from the rebirth/post crash registration, or from when I first signed up???

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

I'm #73. Does that count from the rebirth/post crash registration, or from when I first signed up???

nah that's for this new version, since the crash. I was alerted emergency style by none other than Dcastillo when the new board went up, hence my single digit number. I was salty that Iron Monkey got there just after me and got #7

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Post Deleted by the Department of Redundancy Department

I came on in December 2002 on a raft loaded with Crates List refugees. Probably would have joined sooner, but Raj used to oppress my Netscape 4.7 with his picky browser requirements.

• Member #20...

so I'm not as much of a nerd as the first 19 fuckers, but I am waaaaaay deeper than # 21 & onward

I miss the days where we could check who had the most posts

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

nah that's for this new version, since the crash. I was alerted emergency style by none other than Dcastillo when the new board went up, hence my single digit number. I was salty that Iron Monkey got there just after me and got #7

RAJ should post a list of the order of OG strutters in sequence of joining.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Funky Guzzo is 20, but Guzzo is #6??!!... damn, hommy - you're crowding the top 20!!

my questions is: If Raj is #2 - who is #1???

Didn't there use to be a member list of all names?...

now I can only see who's online... (ehhh, not that I do that alot, or anything)

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Oliver, one of the few euro strutters. I know where Pap lives and he's not a bad character. If this board was German I would have studio carpet status but it's still hard for me to write in English. I think my first post was a reply to a Raw Power (aka UMAD) thread about a Chakakas record back in 2002. I don't know if this makes me a veteran because I don't post a lot and have yet to start a real beef. I never did anything else in my life than being passionate about music and buying too man records. I guess I'm lucky because I paid my rent for the last 15 years with dj-ing and various music-related jobs from TV to label work. Started my own label in 2002 and have milked the Soul Strut talent pool more than once. That's how I got in touch with Day, A-ko, Urrs, and AI. Great guys by the way. Also did stuff with Dreskie Boogie and Dela. And yes, the Soul Strut comp is still alive. We will master the first 12* this week and it has tracks from A-ko, Dizzy Bull and Hawkeye. Hawkeye is one of the few German strutters and the only strutter I''ve met in real life. Alles klar Falk ? Beside Robert Murt, Dela, Pase and Amir. Soul Strut is the first and only board where I ever posted and I still get excited about it every day. It's the first thing I check in the morning after my e-mails.

My work schedule has slowed down my diggin activities to an all time low. It sucks but with three expedits I have enough records to listen too. I'm living with two wonderful women named Nadia and Leila who constantly remind me that life has more to offer than records. My favourite strutters are Paycheck, Day, Guzzo, Phill Most, AI, Urrs, Frank, Grope, Dizzy, A-ko, AP and off course Raj. I think O-Dub and Iron Monkey need to post like they use to do. Peace to everybody I forgot to mention. Thanks god for Soul Strut!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm living with two wonderful women named Nadia and Leila who constantly remind me that life has more to offer than records.

Damn!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I've been around under various names for awhile, including aaronbobo, pandabearprada, and now Aaron.

If I remember correctly, my introduction to the board came the hard way through day and faux_rillz when I fronted on the concept of "exploitative servitude" -- now a classic soulstrut line.

The content of my collection changes frequently; I initially started as a jazz collector but ran out of both interest and resources. Then, I had a short stint as a funk 45 collector but also ran out of resources after I cleaned out the spot after two 8-hour digs on consecutive days. Now, I've gotten into dance 12"s, mostly opting for Leroy Burgess, P&P, and Carmichael productions. I never pass up an interesting rap 12", either.

Currently, I've been working on a skeletal hip-hop 12" website much like funk45.com. I NEED CONTRIBUTIONS! I NEED A DIGITAL CAMERA! I NEED A SCANNER!