LA strut (recommendation-related)

dmacdmac 472 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I have to be in LA March 3rd for business, so my girlfriend and I decided to fly in together and stay the weekend before. Looking for options for hotels in the Hollywood/Silverlake/downtown area.Something cooler than the Marriott at the airport but under the price point of trendoid boutique hotels like The Standard.And while I am at it, recommendations for stuff to do the weekend of Feb. 28th/March 1st/March 2nd?Record spots, DJ nights, restaurants, museums, etc. Give me the inside dope.I'm stinging a little for being about 5 days too early to catch the LA debut of Marcossa's Masala Beat Club.

Comments

• For restaurants I highly recommend Cru (amazing gourmet vegan raw food in echo park). Even if you don't usually like this kind of food, it's phenomenal here, so check it out! I also like Dan Tana's--totally delish homecooked Italian right next to the Troubador--pricey but VERY worth it. Best eggplant parm I've ever had and also best espresso chocolate ice cream in the world. Maybe you guys can go for a romantic dinner then catch a show next door. Another romantic dinner spot is Cliff's Edge behind the 99 cent store on Sunset. They are so nice there too, and I'm a sucker for good wine, french fare with veggie options, and great service. Don't let anyone convince you to go to the trendy but sucky Malo on Sunset--Worst food and service ever, and still one of the trendiest restaurants now....a great example of how many L.A. people tend to have no taste of their own and are born herd followers....

If your wife wants to shop bring her to Lemon Frog vintage on Sunset and Alvarado in E.P., also pricey but amazing--best selection and best vintage footwear in L.A. for girls. As far as nights out I would say stay the F. out of Hollywood and you'll be fine! I normally just go to house parties these days b/c I'm not feeling the club or bar scene. Bardot is super trendy, wednesday nights at what used to be the spider club on vine. Always a sexy cool crowd, but the music is hit or miss since they switch up the DJs every week. Last week the music was terrible. There are really great local bands in L.A. right now, my personal faves are Entrance, Fool's Gold, Rainbow Arabia, Lavender Diamond and Hecuba, so just check the paper and if any of these are playing maybe check them out. Unless you are a backpacker or hip hop head, then I'm definitely sending you on the wrong track! I will keep my ears open for events that week and keep you posted! There is always so much going on here, it's hard to decide what to do, the challenge seems to be trying to choose between multiple events. Have fun! PS--thrifting and vintage shopping is way better in LA than on the east coast, so you should def do some of that while you're out here too!

• Paru's vegetarian Indian restaurant on Sunset has good food, a super-nice owner, and cozy (if somewhat low-rent) atmosphere. India Sweets & Spices on Los Feliz has absolutely zero atmosphere, but they do GREAT homecooked Punjabi food and it's cheap cheap cheap. Hit it for lunch.

Miles from Breakestra's Funky Sole is every Saturday at The Echo. The music is great, the no-attitude crowd is usually 200+ and ready to dance all night, homie Renato spins on the back patio (and usually sells records), and best of all it's free!

Also on Saturday is the mod soul/psych/garage night The Bullet at the Vine Bar. The venue is small and there's a $10 cover but the music is a good cross-section of styles and you'll get a taste of LA's 60s scene.

For records, hit up me, Belson and/or Francislai. We've all got vinyl to trade/sell. I've had a little luck with 45s & LPs in the $5-$10 range at Rockaway Records in Silverlake but don't expect any grails.

Wish I could recommend more but I'm still discovering the city myself.

• For records, hit up Francislai.
    He and I do our monthly disco night that Wednesday (Mar. 4) in the Hollywood/Silverlake area. Funky Sole is definitely a good time on Saturdays.

• i cant recommend hotels cuz i never stayed in one out here.

record spots: isnt buena park next weekend? its like the monthly record show down here. also, no one ever mentions pm sounds. great shop.

dj nights. i only go to my own dj night and it doesnt fall on the dates ur here. but i would suggest catching a movie (lots of movies only play here in LA) or walk on the beach at nite. i like doing that cuz the temp is right and no one is on the beach at nite. its peaceful.

restaurants. now we're talking. what is your flavor? the breadth of ethnic regional cuisine out here is unmatched. i personally think this is the main attraction of LA.

as far as museums, im not a huge fan but youll prolly see much better things at one of the art gallery hubs in LA. culvercity, downtown, bergamot, chinatown.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Thanks to everyone who replied. Much appreciated!

I've been swamped at work and haven't had much time to really explore these recommendations, but I will in the next day or so and prolly post some questions...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think the Getty is totally worth it if the weather is accommodating. Those bastards raised parking to $10 but otherwise, admission is free

• low 70s, partly cloudy. my kind of day.

• Here's one for the locals who've been here longer than me. Should be easy. I have friends coming in from out of town tomorrow night.

They want to eat Vietnamese.

I live in Echo Park/Silverlake.

I'm vegan, they're not.

HELP

• They want to eat Vietnamese.
    It's not my cuisine of choice, so I can't tell you first-hand, but they call an area in northern Orange County (Santa Ana, Westminister, Garden Grove, Anaheim...) "Little Saigon". Apparently there are more Vietnamese there than anywhere in the world, after Vietnam. They probably have a good restaurant or two.
    I'd say it's about a 1/2 hour from your spot with no traffic.

• Don't let them take you to the viet noodle spot in Atwater, the whole place smells like nasty dead fish, a vegetarian's hell, yet for some reason everyone seems to love this place. Two thumbs down.

• there are a few options right there in silverlake so im assuming they cater to vegetarians as well. but u can count on it being a lot more expensive than most vn spots. however, the payoff is they often times use fresh ingredients. oh, and i suppose the ambiance?

http://www.gingergrass.com/
    http://www.chow.com/places/12261
    http://eatdrinknbmerry.blogspot.com/2007/11/viet-noodle-bar-atwater-village-hello.html

my favorite spot is in san gabriel. its prolly no longer the best (the competition in SGV is no joke), but it is tried and true. very fresh vegetables and herbs. im not sure about their veggie options but you never know. they have both northern and southern style vietnamese food and its always busy.

http://www.goldendelirestaurant.com/Menu.html

• My last meal when I was in LA a few months ago was at hipster ass Silverlake Pho spot- aka the chow link that shig recommended. I had to head up, was in the need for noodle soup, and boom! it was right there.

I got the veg pho, and it did the job for me...broth was decent.

• My last meal when I was in LA a few months ago was at hipster ass Silverlake Pho spot- aka the chow link that shig recommended.

Pho Cafe it is. We can walk there from my place.

Gotta give a shout out to the vegan pho at Mai's Cafe in Ventura. The fake meat actually tasted proper.

• You should go to the Mongolian hot pot restaurant instead! It's amazing. A bit outside of LA, in Little Mongolia! Well worth the 10 min. drive from the east side. They have photoshopped pics of young girls with glowing sheep that take up the whole wall! It's quite a party there, family style with huge pitchers of beer and giant tables if your crew is big. Veggies get a divider put in the hot pot so no meat juice can get to your side. It's delish!!!! HIGHLY recommended!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Skirball has a pretty cool comic book exhibit right now, with lots of Superman raers.

http://www.laweekly.com/slideshow/view/248245

• u know whats crazy about those 3 vn spots in silver lake is that they all more or less look the same inside. i predict in the next 6 months at least 3 other kogi type taco trucks rolling out. la rules.

• I work at hotel angeleno... which is right down the street to the skirball and getty centers... We have a free courtesy car service which Im the driver for... So let me know if you want to stay there. Its at the 405 and sunset. I can probably get you a good rate just let me know.

Otherwise... I'd say check out some "broke folk" events... those dudes are really inspired and their events generally remind me why I like DJing.

• Hell yeah! Go high as hell to this for the first time like I did and get all at everything. Don't forget the free Russian Tea house on the second floor for extra WTF. That place is the epitome of WTF.

• Also LACMA is donation only after 5 (open till 7). Drop a buck and enjoy 2 hours of greatness.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Hell yeah! Go high as hell to this for the first time like I did and get all at everything. Don't forget the free Russian Tea house on the second floor for extra WTF. That place is the epitome of WTF.

I used to live around the corner from that place. It belongs in a Spike Jonze movie. "The Center for Land Use Interpretation" is next door as well.

• speaking of shit to do if your broke, hike to the top of griffith park and go to the observatory! Hike at sunset and arrive at dark, you can see the best view of L.A. at night, which is truly a breathtaking sight, it looks like a circuit board. Don't forget to bring flashlights so you can get back down. : )

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

low 70s, partly cloudy. my kind of day.

I had something similar the other day at Marjoe's in Carson. Bomb ass southern style cooking. Highly recommended.

• wheresthegoodjamaicanfoodatinLA,huh?BeenawhilesinceIhadmesomeitalstew

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    wheresthegoodjamaicanfoodatinLA,huh?BeenawhilesinceIhadmesomeitalstew

This is the only place I've had, but it's pretty damn delicious.
    http://www.frontpagegrille.com/
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/front-page-jamaican-grille-inglewood

• awesome! u eat meat. i havent been to the ones yuichi mentioned but that would be within the proving grounds of LA carribean cuisine. theres all kinds of jamaican and belizean spots around there. i really like ackee bamboo for the location and the food. the tilapia is my favorite but their jerk is much better than the spot next door to where i work. all their plates come with a festival which is like a donut hole.

http://www.ackeebamboo.com/

simply wholesome on slauson at overhill has really really good fresh jamaican patties. veggie and meat lovers. and also a healthy and vegetarian menu. their smoothies are really tasty too.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/simply-wholesome-los-angeles

• Ah I forgot about Indochine Vien on Hyperion which I've visited a couple of times. The veggie Pho was decent if not spectacular. Any experts care to weigh in on this hipsterlicious Vietnamese spot?

• Thanks for posting that. I'll be in L.A. on the 5th thru the 10th and I was trying to remember the name of that strange museum I'd read about.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Also on Saturday is the mod soul/psych/garage night The Bullet at the Vine Bar. The venue is small and there's a $10 cover but the music is a good cross-section of styles and you'll get a taste of LA's 60s scene.

I'll be DJing there this Saturday if you want to swing by.

For records, hit up Belson

If you wanna hit me up for some records, then drop me a PM.....I'm on the Westside.

Cheers....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

my favorite spot is in san gabriel. its prolly no longer the best (the competition in SGV is no joke), but it is tried and true. very fresh vegetables and herbs. im not sure about their veggie options but you never know. they have both northern and southern style vietnamese food and its always busy.

http://www.goldendelirestaurant.com/Menu.html

Golden Deli is eternal. That shit's been there since when I was a teen, living in the SGV. It's still there, still going strong. Don't know what their vegan options are like but I'd imagine you could get one of their rice noodle bowls, sans fish sauce and with vegetarian spring rolls.