VODKA SHOTS (Help)

vinylstalkervinylstalker 397 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Ok, so the girl wants to stay in this pm, cook a meal and get drunk.For us, this usually means a couple of bottles of wine.Tonight, she wants to go with the hard stuff. Vodka shots.She usually drinks a madras with Absolut.I'm a strict Bushmills guy myself, but I'm down for whatever.It is our saturday-night-without-the-kid so I would like togo beyond pouring from the bottle into the juice glass kind of experience.So, what's the basic deal?Chill it, yes?Lemon?Sugar or somesuch on the edge of the shotglass to get fancy?Equipment? I've always wanted a stainless drink mixer deal.Pacing advice?

Comments

• Be careful or you'll ruin your night early.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ice - glass - mouth

• Options
    Equipment?

Get a fire extinguisher, fill it with a couple of gallons of vodka and then pressurize it to 150psi from an air compressor. Spend the rest of the night blasting each other into oblivion.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    I've done a vodka shot night. If its good vodka and you chill it in the freezer it should be fine. Use some of juice chaser rather than mixing? Definately pace yourself, you may not feel it at first but it can all hit at once.

• Options
    Last time I did a vodka shot night I was in 10th grade and wound up on my back in my parents driveway alternately choking on vomit and singing "I Gotta Be Me", this after taking a direct line home from the party and going through a mile's worth of backyards and fences. Bloody and bruised, clothes torn up, at least I made it home before I threw up on my dad.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Kamikazes !

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    snort it

• ice - glass - mouth

That is the truth right there.

Chill it down nice and cold, pour it out, make a toast, exhale as much as you can, drink it all in one go, grab a nice dense piece of rye bread or similar, hold it up to your nose and only breathe in through your nose. Repeat.

If lacking bread, sniff your sleeve instead.

• Alright, thanks.

Watching the Hornets battle Utah and pouring the shot now.

I'm going to sniff my sleeve.

• The vodka is making the girl talk shit.

There are banging noises behind me.

Advice?

Switched to whiskey after draining bottle 5 shots ago.

Advice?

• Advice?

get off the computer.

• Advice?

get off the computer.

Real talk

• Switched to anything else[/b]

you messed up.

• Yeah, I was drunkenly worried about that, but it all turned out fine.
    Thanks for the advice and clonning.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Shit, I guess I'm too late on that Vodka topic. But next weekend is not far away.

I recommend to get a very good polish vodka like Grasovka or Wyborowa and drink it at room temperature. Otherwise you'll miss most of the great flavour. Have slices of dark rye bread roasted with butter in a pan with the shots.

No matter how wasted you got at night, you'll wake up with a clear head.

BTW: Grasovka mixed with natural (turbid) applejuice and ice makes a nice longdrink that tastes like applestrudel.

• I would get Russian Standard. Its inexpensive and in Russia they consider it to be pretty good vodka. I would also suggest that you eat while doing shots in the Russian style. Salty snacks are best. Caviar, pickles and pickled tomatos, lox with raw onion. If you want to go for a full on meal, greek salad, fried potatos with mushrooms. If you live in New York, I would recommend going to one of the Banya's in Brooklyn, taking steam for a few hours and then shower off, dress and enjoy some of the food with ice cold shots.

I would get Russian Standard. Its inexpensive and in Russia they consider it to be pretty good vodka.

Yep, or Parliament which is pretty good too.

• Have slices of dark rye bread roasted with butter in a pan with the shots.

My russian inlaws do the shot (and the shots are like 3 oz.) then big exhale, and then you put dark bread (untoasted) under your nose and inhale through it. Then you eat the bread.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    (and the shots are like 3 oz.)

That is a pretty big shot. The standard American shot is approximately 50ml, or 1.7 oz. I just drink Smirnoff straight out the bottle like the raging boozehound I am.

• Well, tasteless American consumer that I am, we just shot Absolut.
    Chilled it hard, went down fine.
    I even got ssome rye bread after reading the responses, and while
    I certianly felt cool and slavic, I didn't quite get it.
    It made my girl giggle alot, though.

We have decided to really move up the experience next time,
    and are having a mint julep night this weekend.

Happy Mardi Gras!

Well, tasteless American consumer that I am, we just shot Absolut.

Absolut is a good choice. I prefer the polish ones to drink pure but when the variety (in the supermarket or in the club) is reduced I stick to the classic.

and are having a mint julep night this weekend.

Happy Mardi Gras!

Ew. Dude, don't do it. Mint juleps are just f*cking up your bourbon with mint and sugar. Kentucky Derby be damned.

Get a good bourbon, and drink it straight or on the rocks. I recommend this:

Thes knows the deal.

• While I appreciate your advice,
    I grew up with the older folks drinking 'juleps
    on the porch, and it has always been a favorite.
    Now, I don't much care for burbon straight, so it
    would be lost on me anyway.
    Plus, for a mint julep, its all about the preperation,
    the ritual of mashing the mint in the mortar, all that.

I've always found that those who dis mint juleps are
    those who have never had a good one.

Plus, there is no finer drink to sip while you
    smoke a blunt in a linen suit.

I've always found that those who dis mint juleps are
    those who have never had a good one.

Could be. But I love my bourbon, so I usually don't mix it with anything except good company anyway.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    My Mom got this for me recently, for the price range, it's pretty nice!

• I grew up with the older folks drinking 'juleps
    on the porch,

plantation-owning heritage revealed?

• Um, no.

And down here, that shit aint even funny.

But yeah, grew up resolutely middle class,
    and the julep was the after-work-unwind
    drink of choice for my folks and their friends.

I have always wanted to drink straight bourbon, but
    found it too sweet for straight sippin.
    Maybe I should try again with some of these
    high end suggestions.