My advice for the day...

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Don't get divorced...which in this day and age might as well translate directly to don't get married. But wait a minute, I loved being married. It was so great at times, got a beautiful daughter out of it...and really, how unmotivated my life could have been up to this point without it? But damn, I tell you...I really can't believe how negative something once loving can actually get. There seems to be no stoops too low. It's enough to make you truly hate someone, no lie. But wait a minute, how can I hate who even right this second I consider to be the second most important person on the entire planet? I hope that I don't really hate said person...I just seem to hate every single thing that person is now doing. Talk about a flip-flop, I'm really not accustomed to things even being able to go from so hot to so cold. I mean, how does one build it up just to obliterate it in full? This shit frankly does not compute for me. Yes, I know I've got lots more bucking up to do. I know I need to keep it on the level for my daughter. But really, what control do I even have right now in this shit...none whatsoever. I can be the nicest person anywhere and someone is still going to sabotage even the dramatically-reduced times we are in contact...every gotdamn time. I already gave up my house, gave up all sorts of time with my daughter, gave up all of my plans for the future...what more do you want? I'd be happy to run away overseas, or even to Houston for that matter...but with a bigger responsibility, I can't. I'm stuck dealing with the most depressing bullshit ever every frickin day. So yeah, point being avoid this situation like the plague. Let me suffer for all of you so that you won't ever have to. This shit is the pits. Oh yeah, Happy Mardi Gras!

Comments

• keep it level harvey, shit is crazy

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    One funny thing to tell is that: used to be that my significant other didn't give a rat's ass about Z-Ro. She knew enough about him and understood his reach on folks down here, but that kinda Texas street music, you know with questionable ethics, was pretty much my domain only within our home. Now though, she's on some look-how-hard-core-I-am bullshit and she's hanging out with more Screw-type people and yesterday, even though she acts like she barely wants to give me the time of day, she texts me saying she got a text that said that Z-Ro was dead and she wanted to know if I had heard anything. All I responded was...no, hopefully it's just a rumor. But what I wanted to respond with was...congratulations, you are now officially tapped into the knucklehead network. You, especially as a 30-something mother/university professor, must be really proud of yourself.

• sorry to hear that Harvey. Hopefully things will be amicable in terms of your daughter.

post divorce texts about Z-Ro.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Real terrible to hear that dude but keep your head up. I hope all works out on the end there - actually, we all KNOW it all works out in the end. Hope you can keep your spirit up.

• Get a good attorney.

Skipping right past the hot chicks in order to the hit on the more accepting chubby chicks in the club has been getting my spirits up at least a little bit so far.

• Identity crisis for sure dude.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Sorry to hear it, Harvey. I hope the ordeal is settled with as little grief as possible. Good luck to you and yours.

Identity crisis for sure dude.

Will you please tell her? Because she sure doesn't want to hear it from me.

In all fairness, it was actually a gradual change over the past couple of years, but add it up and it's Jeckyl & Hyde for sure.

When I first told someone in her family what was going on, the first thing he cited was all of that education she has gotten. Her new best friend is at least a part-time lesbian too.

Hopefully, I can soon get to where all of this crazy shit going on in her world is like listening to a radio that isn't turned up all that much while I'm working and not quite actually hearing what songs are being played apart from a distant sound.

That's my goal for the next month and beyond.

And yeah, me and my daughter are straight, always.

• Sorry to hear about that...I am sure that shit is a total mindfuck and probably seems impossible to deal with. Seems like it would be one of those "take it one day at a time" kind of things. Good luck w/ it all.

She sounds like a real Asshole By Nature! =P

• I strangely want to say, thanks for sharing. I know it's a tough thing to go through and thanks for venting here. Stay strong homie...

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    don't get married.

Could have left it right at that.

She was once and still could be wonderful. In her mind, all she has to do is get rid of me...her loving, supportive, albeit not-100%-perfect husband...and all of her rough-around-the-edges issues are going to coalesce into an explosion of nirvana. I've tried to view the whole thing as a case of temporary insanity and wait her out on coming to her senses. But that I'm discovering would be a looooooooooooooooooooong and grueling wait...and even more realistically, it's never going to happen on my watch anyway. She's out for blood...and I've got open wounds all over the place.

I even recognize that I make things worse by telling her she's a horrible person for going back on her word and giving up on our family. But whatever, that's the truest shit going.

I do hope things settle down so we can become some sort of friendly friends someday. We actually met at lunchtime today to touch base with the place that's hosting our record fair tomorrow...and sure enough we ran into a common friend (who apparently hasn't heard about our split), who twice mentioned how we should visit her and her husband in Nicaragua as they are about to go spend a year down there. I'm standing there thinking damn, there's another cool thing that's being pissed away by this senseless darkness.

I dunno, I'm hardly innocent in all of this. But I, especially considering all of the motions I have made over the years to make things better, just never thought it would come to this.

Seriously, husbands out there...don't let this happen to you. That's kinda weird for me to say, because I really thought I had done everything in my power to keep this from happening. But apparently instead of focusing on being a good dad and supportive husband, I was supposed to be playing some sort of game of hard-to-get instead.

So yeah, in the end the advice very likely becomes...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Sorry to hear that man. I'm sure you're doing what's best for your daughter. Hope things look up for you.

But anyway, weaving Z-Ro into your divorce story was pretty wild, dude!

Man, I know the identity crisis thing. My ex wife wanted to upscale, Scottsdale AZ with designer brand name everything pushing a lexus.

Now, she's married to some pot smoking hippie who sells weed for a living. She takes care of his 3 kids, became a pothead herself, dreadlocks and all while living out of a mobile home.

Man, I feel what you're going through.

I've already had to confront a very gangsta-ass gangsta and tell him at least until the divorce is final to keep my wife away from his house. I told someone about me doing this the other day. I said how I went over to his house straight from work, interrupted him smoking blunts with friends on his front porch, sat down with him in his studio, and gave him the what-for. The friend I was telling said...damn, you went over there on some briefcase shit and took care of business...which we both laughed about.

But then I had to say how the next day I called him up and said never-f*ckin-mind, she's not my wife anymore.

WOW.

Dude, that is terrible.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    damn man, hope everything works out for you

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    my heart goes out to you man

stay strong y'all

Far as I know, I've yet to be "cheated on". But at this point, the world can have her.

I mean, not really what I truly feel...but what am I supposed to do in relation to a wife/best friend that has found 14,000 reasons to hate me?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    people suck

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Harvey,

Good luck with this mess.....come here and vent all the bad stuff and don't let it get in the way of your relationship with your daughter. Not getting married is an option for sure, but if you do get married, go into it knowing it's a job...a hard job.....something that requires more effort than just about anything anyone will ever do besides raising a child. And both parties have to work at it....if only one does, no matter how hard they try, it won't work if your partner isn't up to the task.

This June 10th will be my 30th anniversary....I've known my wife since the third grade.....we both got all our wild shit out of the way as teens so neither of us think we missed out on anything by getting married. I know I'm lucky but I also know I worked my ass off to make this work...as did my wife. Too many folks hit a bump in the road and want to bail rather than smooth the road out.

Keep your head up dude and take the high road for the sake of your child...the example you set will help her not repeat her Mother's mistakes.

Rich

• I've already had to confront a very gangsta-ass gangsta and tell him at least until the divorce is final to keep my wife away from his house. I told someone about me doing this the other day. I said how I went over to his house straight from work, interrupted him smoking blunts with friends on his front porch, sat down with him in his studio, and gave him the what-for. The friend I was telling said...damn, you went over there on some briefcase shit and took care of business...which we both laughed about.

But then I had to say how the next day I called him up and said never-f*ckin-mind, she's not my wife anymore.

Not getting married is an option for sure, but if you do get married, go into it knowing it's a job...a hard job.....something that requires more effort than just about anything anyone will ever do besides raising a child. And both parties have to work at it....if only one does, no matter how hard they try, it won't work if your partner isn't up to the task.[/b]

Here here.

And congrats on 30 years, Rich.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Harvey,

Keep your head up dude and take the high road for the sake of your child...the example you set will help her not repeat her Mother's mistakes.

Rich

Serious

Although I'm only 5 years deep, I'm certainly in the "marriage is great" camp, but it's not for everybody, and lord knows things and people change.

Good luck with this, Harvey, and ditto to everything Rock said.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    keep your head up man, that shit sounds ridiculously frustrating/maddening. ugh

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Been there man... it sucks when you're in the shit but it CAN AND WILL GET BETTER.

Ultimately you and your seed will be better off without a toxic relationship holding you down.

Keep your head up.

Been there man... it sucks when you're in the shit but it CAN AND WILL GET BETTER.

Lord please...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    A little off-topic, but I witnessed one fucked-up aspect of joint custody today while helping a sibling do their taxes. Apparently you have to provide more than 50% of a child's support in order to claim them as a deduction. I guess parents who get along and want to split the duties evenly are shit out of luck and get no tax break for having a kid.

• akaaka 67 Posts
    Saying this will be tough is an understatement, stay strong man. I'm working part-time in a family law firm (I had been planning on getting into family law for the longest time but I'm not sure anymore, things get pretty nasty). My advice would be to look for a good lawyer that's also known for being good with negotiation/mediation, as that can help keep things a little more civil even when you're not feeling friendly. (apparently it's tough to find competent, let alone good, male family attorneys, so don't hold your breath)

I gotta say your daughter is really lucky to have a dad that wants to play a major role in her life, so many kids don't have that luxury. Thanks for being a good guy! This will be tough for her too so it will be good to have both of you there for her.

A little off-topic, but I witnessed one fucked-up aspect of joint custody today while helping a sibling do their taxes. Apparently you have to provide more than 50% of a child's support in order to claim them as a deduction. I guess parents who get along and want to split the duties evenly are shit out of luck and get no tax break for having a kid.
    Yeah, I've heard of some people who negotiate tooth and nail for that level of contribution (which I think might be different up in Canada) only to later almost entirely abandon their responsibilities.