Top Chef Season 5

2»

Comments

• Agree with most on here.
    New judge sucks balls. Carla is great TV.
    I actually dig Stefan. As someone who has lived in Europe
    a few years, I have always dug the general pompous euro-tude,
    I find it hilarious and kinda cool.

However: EMERIL CAN FUSK OFF.
    God, get a real NOLA chef, not some TV carpetbageur.
    Hate that dude.

• "you know that movie, 'Guess Who's Coming To Dinner'? Well I have seen what's coming to dinner, and it's not pretty."

AAAAAHHHHHHH DROPKICK THE TV SET

1) "This [ingredient] was like Tom Cruise's cameo in Tropic Thunder. Not expected but very special and surprising."

No, dude. It's not like that at all.

2) "How dare he cut the fat off the pork, when I order pork I want all the nasty bits it's like I want to have unprotected sex with it"

cut to Tom Collichio's expression which screams "god, i hate this guy"

3) "something food something blah blah blah elvis's death"

elvis? who cares

4) "...Pablo Escolar."

DIE!!!

Gawker had a contest where people would submit a made up Toby Young Stale One Liner and wrote these four as examples/inspiration

-"You must be a true artist ??? because it tastes like you cut off your own ear and used it as an ingredient in this dish."

-"This tastes like Ronald McDonald puked ??? and then his puke cooked this meal."

-"The Exxon Valdez never made anything this oily." (Out-of-date topical jokes earn bonus points.

-"If you salted this, you could call it 'salt with a deadly weapon.'" (Bad puns also earn bonus points.)

that was fun

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    For the future can we get some Spoiler Alerts. If I see the winner in this thread before I see the finale somebody gonna geta hurt real bad!

Carry on.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I remember a few yrs ago in culinary school, a chef said this to a fellow classmate...

"WTF is this, Exxon Valdez?"

that still gets me to this day.

Emeril's show might be annoying, but he is the real deal in the NOLA chef scene.

Toby seems to have toned down his one liner schtick in the later eps, he actually made quite a few keen observations. The one liners definitely was a bad look, he painted himself into a corner that was inescapable.

I looked at Fabio's menu at his restaurant, that shit is LONG. He needs to chop it in half at least.

Stefan had some real zingers on Hosea in one of the Bravo blog entries....

Bravotv.com: Hosea really seems to want to beat you specifically. Do you feel the same sense of competition with him?
    I know Hosea wants to beat me. That???s OK. He knows who is the better chef. Do I feel the same way? Not really. I have cooked in so many different countries and continents there is always somebody jealous and wants to beat you, comes with fame, fortune, and good looks. Ha! Hosea that one is for you. My hair looks so much better then yours.

Bravotv.com: Why did you choose the lobster dish? Did you think it would be the easiest as Hosea suggests?
    Whole Foods isn???t selling lobster so I thought, Why not?" And it was my favorite dish. I could have picked any of them; that???s the food I have cooked all my life and to Hosea???s remark, It is the easiest one. He almost did not make it with his dish. And when you cook lobster 30 seconds too long it is like rubber. So that is my answer to the question. But if Hosea thinks it is easier then I'm happy to take any of his dishes in his restaurant and re-do them, especially when I kick his ass in Bolder when we go skiing together. Hosea, I???m the guy waiting for you at the lift and waving and waiting for you.

• the product placement has become comical at this point. over the top like stallone. how's that for a one liner.

• I was wondering why I hadn't seen any TC threads on here this season. I agree with most of what's been said but here are some observations:

how much time was there between the last NYC episode and the Nola episode? Because Stefan looks fatter, and seems to not care as much about winning the competition. He made that remark: I'm 36 and this stuff doesn't really matter, if it's good, fine, if it's bad that's fine too.

Stefan: easily the best chef left, but needs to get his head back in the game if he wants to win

Leah: Every frikkin time: "i don't know what I'm gonna do, just make it up as I go along". The fact that she made it as far as she did 'just winging it' says that she is all raw skill, and could probably kill it if she took some classes?

Jeff: he's got the technique and the creativity, he just needs to rein it in and focus, which is why I was disappointed he didn't make it back in because he was finally killing it with the Nola cuisine.

Hosea: I started off liking him, but he's too whiny now.

Eugene: I wanted to like this guy as a wild card, but he turned into a tool real quick.

it will come down to Carla and Stefan unless Hosea pulls some magic out of his soul patch.

• Emeril's show might be annoying, but he is the real deal in the NOLA chef scene.

I've never once heard anybody mention Emeril when talking about the best chefs in the city. [/the_real_deal]

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Stefan: easily the best chef left,

Stefan? You mean the guy who's been on the bottom three out of last four weeks? The guy who overcooked salmon?

I think what's great about the last month is we've seen Stefan's fallibility while discovering that Carla can actually, you know, COOK. It's not like Season 3 where Hong pretty much was spanking fools for practically the whole latter half of the season to the point where his win was rather anti-climatic.

Emeril's show might be annoying, but he is the real deal in the NOLA chef scene.

I've never once heard anybody mention Emeril when talking about the best chefs in the city. [/the_real_deal]

You forgot to add a "BAM!" on there.

"you know that movie, 'Guess Who's Coming To Dinner'? Well I have seen what's coming to dinner, and it's not pretty."

AAAAAHHHHHHH DROPKICK THE TV SET

1) "This [ingredient] was like Tom Cruise's cameo in Tropic Thunder. Not expected but very special and surprising."

For real, Toby as guest judge was some remarkable self-ethering in terms of his reputation amongst those who didn't know him before (and have zero interest in ever reading or hearing from him again).

• Emeril's show might be annoying, but he is the real deal in the NOLA chef scene.

FOR REAL.

I mean, I get that the dude is the face of NOLA food 'cause
    he had a tv show, but c'mon, he's from Brooklyn or someshit.

Anybody would of been better.
    Hell, they could of wheeled out P.Prudhomme in a flat bed truck
    and I would of been happier.

• Stefan: easily the best chef left,

Stefan? You mean the guy who's been on the bottom three out of last four weeks? The guy who overcooked salmon?

No, he was on the bottom the last 2 episodes. He won the Le Benardin elimination challenge which the most difficult challenge of the whole season. the last supper one was the salmon one and then came new orleans.

Stefan has won the most quickfires and elimination challenges. He won 5 consecutive eliminations in a row (Well that's what Hosea bitched about in one episode). He is certainly a great chef. Carla is great too, but she didn't shine until much later in the season

• Stefan: easily the best chef left,

Stefan...seems to not care as much about winning the competition. ...needs to get his head back in the game if he wants to win

not disagreeing with you on his recent performances, and I also think it's been interesting to see him make mistakes while Carla has been like the tortoise just pluggin along and quietly killing it. I just think that over the course of the season he has been pretty consistently on the top and he had something like 3 or 4 wins in a row??

it will come down to Carla and Stefan unless Hosea pulls some magic out of his soul patch.

Stefan: easily the best chef left,

No, he was on the bottom the last 2 episodes. He won the Le Benardin elimination challenge which the most difficult challenge of the whole season.

I guess but he did take on one of the easiest dishes to remake. I thought Carla's overall level of difficulty was higher even if her execution wasn't as flawless.

I'm not saying Stefan's not a gamer but I think we've seen, over the last few weeks, that he's as fallible as any other chef on the show. Considering that he's been on the verge of elimination in such close succession suggests that the playing field of talent may be more even then we previously thought. A month ago and I would have said he's the best guy in the mix but now he doesn't seem that much stronger than the remaining field.

Also, I think Restaurant Wars, is by far, the most difficult challenge in any season of the show. It's been a giant killer.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the so called easiest dish at a 3 Michelin starred restaurant is still pretty damn hard to make. It's Eric Ripert, his entire style is about making the complicated look easy.

I didn't suggest Emeril was the best chef of NOLA, but he is an iconic figure in the city amongst those in the know (ie. his peers). I just think it's silly to write him off because of his annoying tv show. Which I sense is what most people here are bashing him on.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I can't believe Hosea won that shit. What a punk! Stefan stole the show with all his wiscecracks. I can't believe Carla though. She got talked out of making her own dishes! What a completley anti-clamtic ending for me.

• I didn't suggest Emeril was the best chef of NOLA, but he is an iconic figure in the city amongst those in the know (ie. his peers). I just think it's silly to write him off because of his annoying tv show. Which I sense is what most people here are bashing him on.

I read an interview with Charlie Trotter where he said the best meal he ever ate was at Emeril's restaurant. Dude is a SERIOUS chef, who has traded a lot on his name, but he doesn't get the TV show or the name without some serious skill to back it up.

Anyway, what an anticlimactic end. Hosea... Woo~ er, whatever.
    I was rooting for Stefan, but he seemed to coast the last couple weeks, and I felt bad for Carla as she totally collapsed in the finals.

Oh well... bad end. Hosea the Permanently Shook won. yeah.

Yeah - kind of disappointing. Hosea deserved to win last night's challenge considering that Carla imploded and Stefan ended up slipping too. But overall, Hosea was just hella inconsistent and arguably the weakest winner ever. But whatya gonna do? Stefan should have had this sewn but instead of stepping up, he got rather uninspired the last month.

• F*ck i just watched the finale. hosea?! such a shame they were judged on that one menu. i think in one of the past seasons they also did side by side comparisons for the past eliminations and i thought that would have been fair to stefan and carla, whereas hosea squeaked by each episode on sheer luck because there was always one person more terrible. hosea was the real villain in this episode for sure hoarding all the fois gras and cavier. i felt bad for carla and stefan.

it was a pretty good episode for suspense i think despite the outcome. so many stefan quotables

"i bought 3 voodoo dolls in new orleans and stabbed hosea 3 times and carla once."

"i picked marcel as my sous chef. he's kind of a twat but who isn't?"

and then during the fortune telling

"do a love reading for me. is there a girl in there named jamie?

stefan is a hilarious but likeable confident d-bag. hosea is just a d-bag with a chip on his shoulder the size of texas. so disappointing. i would have been happy with carla or stefan

Personally, I couldn't really stomach Stefan winning but Hosea's no one to cheer for. Dude was straight up herbalistic for most of the season but hey, single contest eliminations means past performance doesn't factor in much.
    That all said, this was probably my favorite season ever regardless of who won.

• After seeing how much Carla let Casey influence her meal too much, I didn't want to finish watching. Tom even seemed bummed that Carla was out of the running.

BLEEECHHHH for Hosea winning, he's so lame and boring. Looks like Leah and her bf broke up and she's ready to go with Hosea!!

I like Stefan more now- he seemed genuinely moved by Carla's tears, even though at first it seemed like a last ditch effort to put some more soul into his rationale why he should win.

Nice that they had Branford Marsalis add some color to the table!!

Stefan grew on me throughout the season but he was always kind of an asshole which would be bad enough - but dude starting slipping in the final four weeks. He started making some "easy way out" moves and I lost respect for him at that point. I never liked Hung from S3 but dude was constantly stepping the F*ck up and not trying to play his odds.