Top Chef Season 5

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Is anyone watching this season? It started out as a dud but the episodes are getting better and more interesting. I know I am going to get shit for this, but I love Stefan. He is fun to watch cook, especially when he manhandled that live eel I like Carla and Fabio too. I can't stand Hosea because a) he's an idiot for cheating on his gf on tv and b) he is constantly asshurt and jealous of Stefan's winsWhat's up!!

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Carla has surprised the hell out of me. i honestly thought she was gonna go weeks ago. but she's smart, in that as of late she just makes very good, very simple food.

lots of chefs f_ck up trying to get all fancy pants and then end up doing something silly like over cooking meat or something.

speaking of top chef, just ate here for my girls B-day. was solid.

http://www.perillanyc.com/

top chef season 1 winner. good food for really decent prices.

• Haha, I am sitting here with the wife watching right now.

Fabio's my dude. The rest of them, matter fact I don't wanna speak about the Rucker.

• There's been a "Stefan" in every single season. Hung and Marcel were just like Stefan - f*cking awesome cooks who everybody thought were assholes. They're usually my favorite characters to watch on Top Chef. Hosea's aight. I love Carla - she's nuts, and at first I found it annoying, but about half way through it became endearing. I know Fabio's the character everyone is supposed to love, but I'm not so enthralled. Jamie should still be around - she was damn good.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    "This is not a butt rubbing contest. There will be a slaughtering. I will tell you." Stefan.

Classic!

• Yeah- I too think the challenges this season have increasingly gotten better. Stefan is totally the guy I love to hate/hate to love. He's on another level of assholianism than Hung and Marcel- I mean, even the way he smokes his cigarettes and sits all sideways slouchy drives me crazy!

Carla is f*ckin awesome, and it's good that she's still around.
    She made Jacques Pepin's day with that squab and her and peas are like THIS!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    wish I had cable :-/

I've never really watched this show, except when I would bartend some nights that were slow...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I love Carla - she's nuts, and at first I found it annoying, but about half way through it became endearing.

Last episode when she said she used to model?!?!

Stefan or Carla FTW.

• wish I had cable :-/

I've never really watched this show, except when I would bartend some nights that were slow...

i don't actually have a tv.

you need this: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=sekritjuni&view=videos&start=20

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm rooting for Carla. She seemed like a complete scatter brain at the beginning of the season but has been gaining momentum and wracking up wins. I mean goddman not only did she get a new car but she got to go to the freakin superbowl. She would be the great underdog story if she walked away with it.

• There's been a "Stefan" in every single season. Hung and Marcel were just like Stefan - f*cking awesome cooks who everybody thought were assholes. They're usually my favorite characters to watch on Top Chef. Hosea's aight. I love Carla - she's nuts, and at first I found it annoying, but about half way through it became endearing. I know Fabio's the character everyone is supposed to love, but I'm not so enthralled. Jamie should still be around - she was damn good.

I think Stefan has his moments where he is more likeable than Hung or Marcel. I thought his crush on the lesbian was hilarious, "Stefan's gross...what doesn't he get about me being a lesbian!" "Oh she's so cute, I can't stand it"

and yeah Carla used to annoy me and eventually grew on me. I love how excited she was in the Last Supper episode when she found out she got Jacques Pepin and that he requested peas for part os his last meal. "Jacques pepin, ME AND PEAS ARE LIKE THIS!!" haha

**Spoiler**

Sad they sent Fabio home last night. I really don't think Hosea dserves to be there at all! All he does is say stupid meathead stuff like "Go big or go home", talk up being "a seafood guy", but he has no memorable dishes and fucked up the monkfish AND didn't know how to fillet an eel. What kinda "seafood guy" is that?! I'm tired of him constantly whining about Stefan too

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Stefan =

Carla =

Jeff > Fabio > Hosea > Leah > Jamie

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Stefan =

Carla =

=

My wife and I just refer to Carla as "Joan"

• Stefan is such a prick! I can't stand him -- I really wanted him to get sent home. He also always trashes other people's food, which is pretty lame, and he usually slams whatever the judges like the best (which is pretty funny).

I wanted Jeff back in it. It seemed really close too.

But I'm riding for Carla 100%

• hosea sucks i hate all his walmart issue ironic t shirts and his food.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I wanted Stefan to go too...he's like the antithesis of Fabio. Stefan whines about everything while Fabio did everything with honor and class.

That last supper episode really showed it when dude broke his finger and instead of making it his crutch he actually hid the hand behind his back when he presented his food. That was classy to me.

I ride for Carla though, she's fresh.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    My favs were Jamie, Fabio and Carla. I was rooting for Jamie, cause the whole San Francisco thing, but now that she's out and Fabio's out I'm sticking with Carla. And, she's definitely brought the heat in the last few challenges. I liked Jeff too but he was just constantly shooting himself in the foot with the tons of shit he'd try to make every challenge.

And, he also works at Dildo Beach Club, I mean Dilido.

Stefan is a dick but I still kind of like him. If he wasn't a good chef it would just be sad but he WAS kicking ass. I think he's getting a little too full of himself and it almost got him sent home. As mean as it is it's pretty entertaining to see him ragging on Hosea all the time, it's the bald vs. the bald.

Fabio will for sure win fan favorite. Who can't like an Italian mama's boy who says his grandma is the best cook ever.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Jamie gets the gasface for dissing Le Bernardin. What's with the smug attitude? She failed at the best challenge the show has ever seen, replicating a dish (similar to the Le Cirque ep in season 4). The ability to replicate dishes is the basis of your skill as a cook. What do you think you do for the first 4-5 yrs as a line cook? Creating your own dishes? Hell no, you are attempting to duplicate the flavour profiles of a head chef. This is how you learn to become a chef, to know what combinations work.

She has chops, she can cook, but she can't handle criticism well.

Jeff and Stefan are the most talented skills wise on this season. Jeff's downfall was his inability to simplify, while Stefan's is his textbook cooking.

Hosea surprised me this week, he definitely studied up for the finale. Still, the guy has this weird hard-on for Stefan. I can picture him steaming mad watching all the zingers Stefan drops on him during the segueway interviews.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This season has been really, really excellent - I'd dare say the best yet in terms of the creativity of challenges and just the general likeability of the competitors. Even Stefan - who I initially didnt like at all - has grown on me. Fabio is easily one of the most fun contestants they've ever had and Carla has been the ultimate comeback story. I totally thought she'd be gone by midway but now she's totally kicking ass and I'm absolutely rooting for her.

Bummed that Fabio got knocked out but it seemed like he was due at some point and besides, he's going to get fan favorite EASILY and walk away with 10K. Plus, if Bravo or Food Network had any brains, they're going to give this guy his own show. I'm halfway tempted to drive out to Moorpark to eat at his restaurant.

With Jamie - I was torn. Me and my wife LOVE her restaurant in SF, Absinthe. But she wasn't really that likable. Between her entitlement issues and kind of pissy attitude, she wasn't really that winning of a personality (I would have preferred her over Jeff though who was so completely BORING).

Pity Radikha got knocked out during restaurant wars (you notice - it's always people of color who leave during that segment?), I think she deserved a shot to be in the mix at the end, certainly more than Leah who was even more boring than Jeff.

Hosea = eh, as well.

• This season has been really, really excellent - I'd dare say the best yet in terms of the creativity of challenges and just the general likeability of the competitors. Even Stefan - who I initially didnt like at all - has grown on me. Fabio is easily one of the most fun contestants they've ever had and Carla has been the ultimate comeback story. I totally thought she'd be gone by midway but now she's totally kicking ass and I'm absolutely rooting for her.

Bummed that Fabio got knocked out but it seemed like he was due at some point and besides, he's going to get fan favorite EASILY and walk away with 10K. Plus, if Bravo or Food Network had any brains, they're going to give this guy his own show. I'm halfway tempted to drive out to Moorpark to eat at his restaurant.

With Jamie - I was torn. Me and my wife LOVE her restaurant in SF, Absinthe. But she wasn't really that likable. Between her entitlement issues and kind of pissy attitude, she wasn't really that winning of a personality (I would have preferred her over Jeff though who was so completely BORING).

Pity Radikha got knocked out during restaurant wars (you notice - it's always people of color who leave during that segment?), I think she deserved a shot to be in the mix at the end, certainly more than Leah who was even more boring than Jeff.

Hosea = eh, as well.

Go to Moorpark! I want to hear how Fabio's place is...and will get around to checking out Absinthe at some point or another. Any suggestions for dinner vs. brunch? I know they are totally different...but if they have an amazing brunch then it's more likely that I'll go for that before heading there for a dinner.

Every time I see Jeff and his floppy hair I see

Absinthe for dinner, definitely.

The onion soup is worth it but do the smaller serving; shit can be heavy.

If they have the cassoulet, grab that!

Get the chocolate pot de creme for dessert. They've used Scharfennberger for years; not sure if they'll switch to a different artisan chocolatier given the recent decision to close the Berkeley factory.

• Pity Radikha got knocked out during restaurant wars (you notice - it's always people of color who leave during that segment?), I think she deserved a shot to be in the mix at the end

plaese to gtfoohwtbs. Radikha was awful, and although her exit was ill-timed, she lacked both the creativity and the technical skill to be anywhere near the top. leah was horrible too, though; Ariane was better than both of them, and hot.

Pity Radikha got knocked out during restaurant wars (you notice - it's always people of color who leave during that segment?), I think she deserved a shot to be in the mix at the end

plaese to gtfoohwtbs. Radikha was awful, and although her exit was ill-timed, she lacked both the creativity and the technical skill to be anywhere near the top. leah was horrible too, though; Ariane was better than both of them, and hot.

Awful? She rolled off a few wins - Fabio, if I recall, had exactly ONE. Don't get me wrong, I luh that dude but his cooking was inconsistent and rarely transcendent.

I agree though - Ariane definitely should have been in the mix longer. I can't believe Leah lasted as long as she did.

• Radhika - I don't recall her having a few wins, just one. Radhika came on the first episode saying she didnt want to be stereotyped into Indian cuisine but a majority of her dishes turned out to be Indian inspired.

Jeff - aka Ken Doll. I think could be as masterful a chef as Stefan if his dishes weren't so pretentious and lacked soul. Who cuts all the fat off of the pork? I would be so bummed if I ordered pork in a restaurant and all the best parts were cut off

Eugene - Eh.

Stefan - won the most quickfires and eliminations for sure. Stefan is unflappable, I remember when he was not shook when the freezer temperature was not cold enough for his desert and he improvised on the fly and impressed the judges. He is hard on himself when he fails like when he lost to Andria the grains girl and was all "I'm a douchebag, I can't cook." He's an interesting person. I wouldn't say he is whiny but he is definitely argumentative and cocky.

Ariane - She annoyed me

Hosea - Whiny coward. I read a recap where they called him "aggressively mediocre" which i think is spot on because he talks a lot of shit and tries to psych himself into being great, but he is boring and lame. I thought he was soft for knowing how to tie lamb but not stepping up to help Ariane his teammate.

Leah - Apathetic and inept in the kitchen. She should not have lasted that long, but I suspect reality tv strings pulling was a factor since she and Hosea fooled around despite being in relationships back home

Fabio - Never thought that he that great, but he certainly is the most likeable and charming right with Carla. O****er I think he had 2 wins.

Jamie - I wanted to like her because I like Absinthe, but man she was so stuck up and entitled. And what's up with all the scallops?

As for this season, I didn't think it was consistently good. I didn't like those product placement episodes like the diet dr pepper quickfire or Foo Fighters thanksgiving dinner. And TOBY YOUNG - dude this is the worst judge ever. Horrible stale one liners referencing pop culture noone gives a F*ck about and nothing positive to say. Third rate Simon Cowell that guy. The Eric Ripert/Le Bernadin episode and the Last Supper one were the highlights for me

• TOBY YOUNG MUST DIE

• TOBY YOUNG - dude this is the worst judge ever. Horrible stale one liners referencing pop culture noone gives a F*ck about and nothing positive to say. Third rate Simon Cowell that guy.

it's sad because it's true.

• "you know that movie, 'Guess Who's Coming To Dinner'? Well I have seen what's coming to dinner, and it's not pretty."

AAAAAHHHHHHH DROPKICK THE TV SET

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    TOBY YOUNG MUST DIE

Dude is the worst, I hope he's not back for the next season.

BTW...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• TOBY YOUNG - dude this is the worst judge ever. Horrible stale one liners referencing pop culture noone gives a F*ck about and nothing positive to say. Third rate Simon Cowell that guy.

it's sad because it's true.

I read Gail's return on this week's episode as Toby's departure- I'm sure producers have had to realize he was doing no good for the show...it seemed to me that he got the most screen time in his first episode and less time each episode thereafter.

HE SO LAME!!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i'm rooting for carla. she's been killing it the last few episodes, plus she is an overall very likeable character. that new orleans challenge had my mouth watering.

• Swanson