podcasts - what's good?

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
if anyone can drop some knowledge on decent podcasts it'd be much appreciated. i'm only interested in dj mixes or non-music related stuff (talk show replays, interviews, etc.).

Comments

• I'm a big fan of the BBC Global News podcast in the morning. Good perspective and interesting stories.

The Planet Money podcast is the most helpful source to understand what the hell is going on in the economy.

And I think once a month or every other week Doug Benson has a funny little podcast called "I Love Movies" where he invites comedians in to talk about, wait for it . . . movies.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There's some fairly good free comedy/chat ones on itunes.

Kevin Smith (the director of Clerks etc) has one, it's kinda amusing, not sure if I'd really recommend it though.

I do enjoy "Answer me this". (I suck at describing things, but..) Its a comedy show which you can phone/email and ask the presenters, Helen and Olly, any question and they try answer them in a round about, rambling, kinda way.
    Good if you've ever wondered why there are no gay ghosts, or why viking helmets had horns. Not life changingly funny, but it makes the commute easier, and it's free.

Kidinquisitive's musical podcasts/mixes are highly recommended.

• escoeescoe 113 Posts
    ya might dig stones throw podcast
    http://www.stonesthrow.com/jukebox/

and of course the rubs podcast
    http://brooklynradio.net/the-rub/

• Downtown Soulville, Mr. Finewine's WFMU radio show, is always top quality entertainment.

• And Frank's show is on there as well.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Ricky Grevais has one now that is free.
    Also, Solid Steel is always good for the drive home once a week.
    And i do like soulsearching with Michael Rutten. He has a great German accent and good taste in music.
    Marc Mac updates his every once in a while and his last 3 have been excellent (soul arranger, etc).

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

This is kinda shit now though. The originals were much better, and the radio show that came before is also classic, both of which can be found on a good torrent site.

For any Uk people I would also recommend the Adam & Joe show, from BBC 6Music.

• Ricky Grevais has one now that is free.

This is kinda shit now though. The originals were much better, and the radio show that came before is also classic, both of which can be found on a good torrent site.

i'm a big gervais fan but never thought the podcasts were all that funny. i mean, funny for 3 dudes who just were sitting around bullshitting, but not really what i expected after watching the office and extras.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

i'm a big gervais fan but never thought the podcasts were all that funny. i mean, funny for 3 dudes who just were sitting around bullshitting, but not really what i expected after watching the office and extras.

The podcasts/radio show are probably my favorite thing he's done. They're not on the same level as his 'proper' work, but I think I've enjoyed them more. don't know why.

But coming at them from that way around, I can see why you'd have that reaction.

b/w

You can kinda see that the female character in Extras is inspired Karl Pilkington.

bonus beat

• Co-sign on This American Life..

A reason to look forward to mondays.

Plus Franks show is great!

• Here's a few on my ipod. Might be of interest to some..

MUSIC RELATED:

Ebony Cuts[/b]
    Excellent original 70s deep disco & boogie, presented by Cubism (Stockholm). Episodes are a little far and few now days, but the archives and guest mixes are still up. Worthy!
    web page

Waxing Deep[/b]
    For those that need a late pass. The show is finished up nowdays, but the archives are still online
    web page

Laid Back[/b]
    An interesting podcast, with a very stong hip hop vibe. Don't know too much about this, but I think episodes consist of mixes done by different people. Some not so good, some absolute killers!!
    web page

NYC Trust[/b]
    A stack of different mixes and shows on one rss feed. The best being from Monk One - But I haven't heard from his feed in a while.
    web page

Six Million Steps[/b]
    A firm favourite of mine!! UK based radio show covering mostly 80's boogie, funk, disco, with a little bit of classic house music and balearic thrown in
    web page

Original Mastercuts[/b]
    Another UK radio show on the same network as the Six Million steps show. Alan Champ & Ian Dewhirst with a killer selection of oldschool funk, soul, disco, & northern soul.
    web page

Basic Soul[/b]
    Another UK based radio show, hosted by Simon Harrison. Focussing on new releases, Broken Beat, Nu Jazz, Hip Hop, Dub Step etc.. Quality
    web page

Beane's Noodle Hotpot[/b]
    Similar to the Basic Soul show, but with a little more broken / wonky / dubstep in the mix. Great show!
    web page

Smugglers Inn[/b]
    Presented by UK DJ Producer Red Rack Em. Quality new release stuff across the board. Usually also features a quality guest mix.
    web page

Groove Therapy[/b]
    Weekly DJ mix of original funk / disco / beats / hip hop / house and other cool shit
    web page

Air Pod[/b]
    Ali B mixing up mostly party bootlegs. Fortknox Five type stuff..
    web page

Then of course there are a heap of non-music related podcasts I listen to.. here are a selection of a few of my favourites, mostly tech and media related because of the work I'm doing nowdays..

Common Sense With Dan Carlin[/b]
    This guys gets a little over excited at times, but it is ceratinly an interesting listen. Mostly based around American politics. I don't always agree with him, but I do enjoy his slant.
    web page

Hardcore History[/b]
    Another show presented by Dan Carlin, but based around his obsession and huge knowledge of world history. Incredibly informative & interesting - Dan is a fantastic story teller.
    web page

Cranky Geeks[/b]
    A show for the tech nerds. The presenter John C Dvorak is a long time tech opinionist, with a don't give a fuk & take no shit attitude. Love him or hate him, I dig this. Panel discussion on weekly tech news.
    web page

The VFX Show[/b]
    A weekly breakdown of the visual effects in cinema. Each episode is based around a new release movie. Incredibly interesting and geeky if that's your thing. Hosted by some of the leading names in the visual effects industry, including Australia's own emmy nominated Mike Seymour (Legend!)
    web page

This Week In Media[/b]
    Panel discussion on latest media news. Covers everything from technology to copyright law. Intersting but perhaps a little dominant in American issues.
    web page

This Week In Tech[/b]
    A new media network, with a whole heap of great podcasts hosted by Leo Laporte, a very entertaining American tech journalist. Most shows are co hosted or panel discussions with other industry authorities. Incredibly geeky!
    web page

ABC Radio National - Science Show[/b]
    Possible the best weekly science radio show in the world - And I've listened to a stack of them. And it's Australian!
    web page

Boag World[/b]
    A podcast for those who design, develop & run websites. I fukin hate this show! Can anyone suggest a better one on this topic?
    web page

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    awesome list!

• thanks for all those recommendations.

this morning i listened to a bunch of podcasts from the "stuff you should know" section and was not a fan. one in particular was a 5 minute segment called "are dogs really man's best friend?"...stay away.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    I enjoy watching Digg-nation on my ipod or itunes every week.
    I think I subscribe to all the Slate podcast too.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    here are some I like

KCRW To The Point
    The Moth
    This Week with Stephanopoulos
    WFMU Best Show with Tom Scharpling
    60 Minutes
    The Bugle (John Oliver of the Daily Show)
    Never Not Funny depending on the guest
    Carolla talking to "Jack" from Jack in the Box

• Beane's Noodle Hotpot[/b]
    Similar to the Basic Soul show, but with a little more broken / wonky / dubstep in the mix. Great show!
    web page

How does one subscribe to this podcast? ... i use itunes to manage podcasts and couldn't find a way to download this one through itunes.

• WTF with Marc Maron
    The Nerdist
    Jimmy Dore Show
    David Feldman Comedy Podcast
    Comedy and Everything Else
    Pod.F.Tomkast (Paul F Tompkins)