I'm all for freedom of speech but...

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central

Comments

• Gotta love the Post....unbelievable.

• x 100,000,000

• I really wish that cartoonist could explain that cartoon to me and why his sense of perspective is so poor that it looks like that monkey is floating and why the concrete looks like grass.

• Expected behavior from the asshurts.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I mean, black people read the post too, right? Isn't this kinda alienating to a lot of potential readers? What I'm saying is, I'm not at all surprised that they're this racist, but I am a little surprised that they're this stupid.

My guess is that only few people who read the Post will stop doing so because of this. If anything, they will sell more copies because of the caused attention.

It's still very hard to comprehend how this could have been published by any paper.
    They're probably going to be all "ohh, we just thought it would be funny. This clearly is based on the CT monkey gone wild and shot by police so shame on anyone who would imply any racial implications for even coming up with the thought"

I wonder how many people were having a "drunken negro face cookie" for breakfast while reading this paper.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I wonder how many people were having a "drunken negro face cookie" for breakfast while reading this paper.

Wow, I must learn more about what this is. It sounds amazing.

Hi Frank!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    (You guys saw this right?)

FURIOUS GEORGE

• I mean, black people read the post too, right? Isn't this kinda alienating to a lot of potential readers? What I'm saying is, I'm not at all surprised that they're this racist, but I am a little surprised that they're this stupid.

The New York Post has been slanderin' Black Folk for decades.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Hey Cosmo,

you seem to have missed that one. The kind of "news" that you're better off not noticing, sorry for bringing it to your attention:

http://gothamist.com/2009/01/23/greenwich_village_bakery_selling_dr.php

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Holy shit.

Thing is, if these backwards-ass fucks had said the same thing about their president 12 months ago, they'd be wearing orange jumpsuits and getting water-boarded right now.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    dear lord it seems yall are looking for ways to be asshurt these days
    it didnt say "sign the next stimulus bill" it said "write"
    as in a bunch of monkeys wrote the shit

was it only black folks that wrote the stimulus bill? then id agree with your asshurtedness

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    dear lord it seems yall are looking for ways to be asshurt these days
    it didnt say "sign the next stimulus bill" it said "write"
    as in a bunch of monkeys wrote the shit

was it only black folks that wrote the stimulus bill? then id agree with your asshurtedness

So smart guy, why don't you explain what the cartoon is saying?

• Terrible

• Options
    If it's worth anything, I bought a Post and a Newsday this morning, breezed through both of them in a medical office waiting room and didn't even notice this cartoon. And to tell you the truth, IF i did notice it I know how I would have seen it ..."bullet riddled chimp, two cops, oh ok dead chimp story, who cares, too many words, flip page".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

First, nothing the post could write would shake my belief in freedom of speech.

Second, Obama didn't write the stimulus bill.

Third, Congress wrote the stimulus bill.

Fourth, no one thinks Obama wrote the stimulus bill.

fifth, that cartoon sucks. Poorly drawn, thought out, executed, writen...

I don't know what it means.
    Sure could have racist overtones.
    Also could have Darwinian overtones.
    My guess is the cartoonist is using recent events in CT to show that Congress has "gone wild" and needs to be killed.
    Which is also offensive on many levels.

• There's a lot of willful ignorance in this world...

• I'm offended that for all of the 12 thousand kinds of hypocrisy, irony, and conflict that are currently going on, this hack rolls out this shit? In a major newspaper? I don't care if it is the Post. Political cartoonists don't need to be stretching to make a panel. Just walk out the front door.

• I'm offended that for all of the 12 thousand kinds of hypocrisy, irony, and conflict that are currently going on, this hack rolls out this shit? In a major newspaper? I don't care if it is the Post. Political cartoonists don't need to be stretching to make a panel. Just walk out the front door.

the other 12 thousand dont sell papers

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Yes! I saw this some days ago and then Lumin disappeared so I couldn't really refer to it.

Lumin, please speak on this. Where did this come from and can I see more? It's completely intriguing, to say the least.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I disagree - beginning prior to inauguration, Obama's been pushing for the bill and while he may not have "written" it literally, symbolically, the media has all but officially ordained the bill as "Obama's stimulus package."

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Yeah, I don't think that kind of technical hair-splitting is what the cartoonist intended.

I think Laserwolf made a valiant effort to try and conjure some kind of less offensive meaning, but for most people who don't just skim past the cartoon, it will be some variation on "Obama = dead monkey". NAGL

• Yes! I saw this some days ago and then Lumin disappeared so I couldn't really refer to it.

Lumin, please speak on this. Where did this come from and can I see more? It's completely intriguing, to say the least.

Darlene Amaro

• Options
    There's a lot of willful ignorance in this world...

I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not L***y. I wouldn't call it ignorance, I just don't really scour the Post that thoroughly when I happen to pick it up. Political cartoons, nah man never check for them. I used to think Rigby was alright in the Daily News way back when, but this was in the 80's and half the time I probably didnt understand the meaning and spent more time looking for the dog and the kid in the drawing.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not L***y. I wouldn't call it ignorance, I just don't really scour the Post that thoroughly when I happen to pick it up. Political cartoons, nah man never check for them. I used to think Rigby was alright in the Daily News way back when, but this was in the 80's and half the time I probably didnt understand the meaning and spent more time looking for the dog and the kid in the drawing.

Rigby is the shit. But the Post is unreadable.

Not at you at all Sw***

More at the "people are going out of their way to find offense" idea...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I disagree - beginning prior to inauguration, Obama's been pushing for the bill and while he may not have "written" it literally, symbolically, the media has all but officially ordained the bill as "Obama's stimulus package."

I googled "Obama's stimulus package". Got 2,325 News Results. So you may be right.

There is no end to ignorant people and the news outlets that feed on them.

• In regards to Lumin, you're arguing with a dude who had a "NOBAMA" avatar.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    In regards to Lumin, you're arguing with a dude who had a "NOBAMA" avatar.

Didn't he also have some derogatory avatar depicting a black basketball player imagining a bucket of fried chicken? Between his apparent racism and now-hidden homophobia, I'm convinced that Lumin is the biggest douche on soulstrut right now.