Midweek Finds yet?

2»

Comments

• Do you Moder dudes ride hard for that Rance Allen? Even though its not my cuppa, the sound and vibe on that record is way ahead of its time IMO...for a early 70s record, that shit sounds like it was recorded in 1983...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    haha, man you guys...

"Nice find but I am sorry to inform you that it is not in fact *thee* best find of 2008. That honor would belong to yours truly, who killed it quite thoroughly in Detroit on the 2nd of January. Condolences."

See, this is what happens when I post drunk. I don't get quirky or funny, I just act like a dick. I swear, I'm a nice enough fellow in real life.

*exits thread*

• Haha, I know you are a nice guy AA! Even when you are drunk!

Every one of us has a little bit of Comic Book Guy in them.

Haha. Seen.

I forgot it was SoulStrut 2009 and not SoulStrut 2003.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Do you Moder dudes ride hard for that Rance Allen? Even though its not my cuppa, the sound and vibe on that record is way ahead of its time IMO...for a early 70s record, that shit sounds like it was recorded in 1983...

I'm not a Moder dude per se, but I ride hard for that Rance Allen. There are more than a few moments on that lp that are so emotionally rich that it's almost too much for me to bear, too intimate. I can listen to that whole lp, but at certain points I've gotta be doing chores or something, too--I've gotta put something in between me and the record, you know what I mean? The whole thing is great, but man, "Ain't No Need Of Crying" is on a very, very short list.

• Every one of us has a little bit of Comic Book Guy in them.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sorry so huge - it's been a while and I was just sitting home on my day off.
    Mostly cheap local stuff, a couple of online set sales and I think one eBay buy:

That Ronnie & the Manhattans is such an awesome 2-sider, but that copy is beat.
    Eddie & Ernie is the best I have from them, a great "hey ladies" type track.

I was feeling that Stained Glass but that is also a beat record (thanks, X****r )
    Had been after the Hooker on Stax for years, the Jackie Mittoo is OG and DOPE,
    the Heaven Bound record is a total studio sunshine pop cheeseout, but has a pretty
    infectious cover of - oddly - Neil Young/Buffalo Springfield's "On the Way Home!"

Had honestly been after that Duane Eddy record for years, shit sounds punk rock!
    Finally found one for $5 ... the Mimms looked beat and was actually given to me
    for free by the shop owner but plays almost perfect! Also, that Astronauts record
    is way better than you might expect, pretty much a killer garage record.

Sip of the King Pins juice?

I would have figured you would know it, A***n ... the group that went on
    to be the Kelly Brothers and record for Sims and Excello ... this 1963 King
    LP is definitely one of the essential albums of the crossover sound from
    R&B vocal groups into soul. A total monster all the way through, here are
    a couple of clips:

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I found a new spot, place is huge. Over 80,000 LPs, everything cataloged and priced. It was funny to see a huge section of crooner music cataloged and priced w/ multiple copies of everything. The owner seems to know how to price, got lucky w/ these ones on the cheap.

Got my Shades of Joy collection complete, finally!

• Do you Moder dudes ride hard for that Rance Allen? Even though its not my cuppa, the sound and vibe on that record is way ahead of its time IMO...for a early 70s record, that shit sounds like it was recorded in 1983...

I'm not a Moder dude per se, but I ride hard for that Rance Allen. There are more than a few moments on that lp that are so emotionally rich that it's almost too much for me to bear, too intimate. I can listen to that whole lp, but at certain points I've gotta be doing chores or something, too--I've gotta put something in between me and the record, you know what I mean? The whole thing is great, but man, "Ain't No Need Of Crying" is on a very, very short list.

That IS a crazy good record... made me check out all his other ones, non compare.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Nice Scoar

That Poogy Tales has tricked me into buying it more than any other LP.

does that mean u like it?

I scored that poogy at the good will on a day that I got zip at one of my spots. NOT I see everybody pretty much agrees.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Sip of the King Pins juice?

I would have figured you would know it, A***n ... the group that went on
    to be the Kelly Brothers and record for Sims and Excello ... this 1963 King
    LP is definitely one of the essential albums of the crossover sound from
    R&B vocal groups into soul. A total monster all the way through, here are
    a couple of clips:

One of those records I've heard about for years, but just never came across. Both of those tracks are killer. Many thanks!

• minimini 879 Posts
    Some flea market finds

• ^
    mini, i want one of your records in there pm sent.

a few more, all junk shop from one box so i don't feel bad about going a little nuts this week, all dupes for me but likely in better condition than my existing same pieces, upgrade related. yay.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i love that Wendy and Bonnie? is that the reissue or an OG?

• yeah - W& B is amazing -- i managed to get on an OG recently. very pleased.

here's some recnt stuff:

"i films di Dario Argento" comp (bought this as a cheap way to get the profondo rosso tracks after trading my copy - - great to find the second side all Morricone tracks, including "quattro mosche di velluto grigio" and "il gatto a nove code" - amazing stuff.)
    IMPALA SYNDROME - s/t (been after this for ages - -paid too much for this battered copy, but i was feeling paypla-rich and had wanted it for ages. great album)
    THE PROJECTION COMPANY - "give me some lovin" (animated egg-style exploito-guff. really fun)
    "we still kill the old way" OST (thanks to jamesF for the tip off for a cheap copy - -two killer tracks)
    "beacon brings it" comp (picked up cheap for the John Fitch trakc -- but loads of other great stuff on here)
    TODD RUNDGREN - "a wizard, a trure star" (finally! wow! what a killer album - -mental soul covers brush shoulders with tracks that could fit on Beck's "midnite vultures" LP. all chopped together like a mad mixtape. i'm definately gonna play "cool jerk" out tonight!)

JACKIE LOMAX - "three" (nice soul rock)
    SIMON CAINE - s/t (nice 'rural rock' - a lovely listen all the way through - recognised a track off AEIOU 2 aswell...)
    *soem latvian comp* (some funky organ tracks and jazz funk stuff on here)
    ARSENAL (finally got a decent-nick copy of this russian jazz rock bomb. one of the better examples of this style for my ears)
    APELSIN (not listened)
    PAINO OVERLORD ep (picked up for the express rising remix)

plus some 45's:

BEEGEES - "my world/ on time" (awesome b-side - thanks for the tip off guys)
    VOYAGE - "big whale/ outre tombe" (this is readily availabel pretty cheap and is one of the best 45's ive picked up for ages - mad french rock. great fun)
    KATI KOVACS - "sehnsucht" (finally! killer stuff on both sides - is it me or are the German versions of her songs much tuffffer than the Hungarian ones!)
    JULIE DRISCOLL - "save me" (great moddy version)
    MORRICONE - "cittta violenta" (everyone knows this)
    MAGNETIC BAND (russian? disco-y jazz funk business)
    ??? (has one track that sounds like an eastern european version of Tom Jones' "looking out my window")
    MANU DIBANGO - "soul makossa / lily" (afro funk)
    BOWIE - "sound and vision" (couldnt leave this in a charity shop - -hand made pic sleeve!!)

plus some non p/s ones:
    GEORGIE FAME - "beware of the dog" (monster organ groover - spare)
    DEVO - "girl u want" (nice to have on 45)
    MANFRED MANN - "ragamuffin man / a 'b' side" (b side sounds like something off his "chapter 3" album)
    BUBBLE PUPPY - "hot smoke and sasafrass" (this sounds like a yes doing a 60's funk rock tune!! thats a good thing!)
    BEATLES - "lady madonna"
    ? & THE MYSTERIANS - "96 tears" (cheers James)
    ENCARNITA POLO - "paco, paco, paco" (fun odd-ball spanich funk)
    ENO - "kings lead hat" (only recently made aware that this amazing tune was on a 45!! b-side is Eno dub-funk. good stuff)

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i got my wendy & bonnie near mint OG for free. thats right, zero cent. found it in the basement of a neighbour house in between some schlager discs. dude said i can take it.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    My W&B is an OG.

inVrs, did you find a non-promo copy?

• minimini 879 Posts
    That apelsin record has one really nice song I think it was called igatsus.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    My W&B is an OG.

there is no promo sticker on it, its the skye pressing, i guess that makes it the normal OG non-promo.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    My W&B is an OG.

there is no promo sticker on it, its the skye pressing, i guess that makes it the normal OG non-promo.

edit:
    Anyone familiar with the Heinz von Moisy "Irisations" LP? Rare private press latin jazz from frankfurt, got it for 3 euros in freiburg. a really solid listen from start to finish imho.
    Also got Nathan Davis Happy Girl on Saba for 20,
    Decent library stuff, both of the "underwater" volumes on sonoton, plus
    another sick sonoton called "micro chip revolution".