PERHACS

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

The track "Infinity" off of this lp is as good as any femme psych/folk I've yet to hear.

• Perhacs > Wendy & Bonnie.

Seriously. Of all the records I've been turned on to via the Strut, Wendy & Bonnie ranks with the most overrated. Meh x 1,000....

On the other hand, I've probably listened to Perhacs five or six times since I DL'd it the other day. While I question the judgement of those hyping it as psychedelic, it is a very solid, very interesting record.

• Hey now, I think Wendy & Bonnie is the shit... just not equal to Perhacs.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    These Trails
    One-tracker

What track? The whole thing is a complete listen.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    These Trails
    One-tracker

"El Rey Pescador"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    These Trails
    One-tracker

Truthitude.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

Actually, it's pretty funny, because people always try to hype records as
    "sounds like Linda Perhacs" or starting threads on here or wrts.com asking
    "what are some records that sound like Linda Perhacs" but the end result
    usually seems to be that there are actually very few albums that sound like this.

all they probably mean is that they want some hippie-era female folk and they used Linda Perhacs as a reference point.

im not saying that its right or wrong, im just saying that it IS.

No, I think they are looking for records that sound like the Perhacs and
    NOT standard hippie-era female folk, that's kind of the point.

I actually meant the second one.

• man,noe of this stuff is hittin me. im not hating, just trying to sip the juice along with all yall. ive always wanted to like parallelogram but it has never moved me. to each their own i guess.

or is it like one of those pictures that you have to cross your eyes and look off into the horizon??

• RIP Mae's... the only place I had to lift the soul section off the funk section in order to dig.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Mays is still around - he sells out of the living room of his house now - about 2 blocks east, one block north of his old shop

look for the porch filled with records

• just got back from france and i am all types of disoriented and exhausted but i noticed there is some elitism in the sharing of parallelograms .... whatever.
    but since i never had to work to get my copy of this and my mommy gave me her copy from her little folk crate that my dad would roll his eyes at... why should i not share with the other kids?

EMBRYO CONCEPTS BOOKSHOP

I think it's aight. It's an album that comes up for discussion now and then, but i wouldn't compare it to wendy and bonnie.

Almond you asked for something comparable I might say Woody Simmons or Ellen McIlwaine or Marie-Claude Clerval.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    i noticed there is some elitism in the sharing of parallelograms .... whatever.

Huh?

There's just a separate forum for sharing albums that is not open
    to the public, so that the Strut/Raj isn't on the hook as much in
    case somebody should raise a stink. I wouldn't call that elitism.

• i noticed there is some elitism in the sharing of parallelograms .... whatever.

Huh?

yes i'm aware but sometimes i find when i am eating gelato and i close my eyes i realize it's really not so different from eating half-melted ice cream

• Mays is still around - he sells out of the living room of his house now - about 2 blocks east, one block north of his old shop

look for the porch filled with records

THANKS... Brad Cheer tried to point me in the right direction last time I was down, but I ran outta time, I'll be there this April, thanks again.

• i noticed there is some elitism in the sharing of parallelograms .... whatever.

Huh?

yes i'm aware but sometimes i find when i am eating gelato and i close my eyes i realize it's really not so different from eating half-melted ice cream

I already said my peace about that forum a while ago. You have to pay your way into it which I definitely call elitism. I remember getting an invitation to Waxidermy from it so it was worth it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You have to pay your way in?

News to me.

The parable about gelato made more sense than that.

• sometimes i find when i am eating gelato and i close my eyes i realize it's really not so different from eating half-melted ice cream

• You have to pay your way in?

News to me.

Seriously. I asked for access to it when it started and was pmed back, "if you send a paypal payment of $20 or more, you can have entrance into the forum" and I said F*ck that. I knew of some people that got in just because and thought that was complete bullshit. It has nothing to do with post count or how long you've been on the site, it has all to do with how popular you are (or who you know) , which = elitism. I argued about this during this during the fallout of the original "Post a Raer Album" day.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    You have to pay your way in?

News to me.

Seriously. I asked for access to it when it started and was pmed back, "if you send a paypal payment of $20 or more, you can have entrance into the forum" and I said F*ck that. I knew of some people that got in just because and thought that was complete bullshit. It has nothing to do with post count or how long you've been on the site, it has all to do with how popular you are (or who you know) , which = elitism. I argued about this during this during the fallout of the original "Post a Raer Album" day.

You like soulstrut man?

You enjoyed posting here over 2000 times? you like the knowledge gained, the people met, the hours of entertainment?

How about donating some money to the site now and then, hosting aint free and neither is the day-to-day maintenance.

• You have to pay your way in?

News to me.

You like soulstrut man?

You enjoyed posting here over 2000 times? you like the knowledge gained, the people met, the hours of entertainment?

How about donating some money to the site now and then, hosting aint free and neither is the day-to-day maintenance.

Thanks captain. I have contributed $$$ many of times to the sales forum (posting/buying), as well as other times to soulstrut related fund raising. I don't mind that, as I really love this site and have been here quite a long time (since 1999/2000) I just remember hearing from a couple strutters that they were just added to the list while I had to pay extra. You can't say thats not elitist.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    While I question the judgement of those hyping it as psychedelic, it is a very solid, very interesting record.

Agreed... Very good folk lp, but definitely not the queen of psych as someone mentioned.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    While I question the judgement of those hyping it as psychedelic, it is a very solid, very interesting record.

Agreed... Very good folk lp, but definitely not the queen of psych as someone mentioned.

Who? You mean one of the co-authors of the ACID ARCHIVES?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Who? You mean one of the co-authors of the ACID ARCHIVES?

If that's who said it. I have a lot of respect for AA, but my tastes and perceptions aren't based on their ideals. AA deals with North American records only, so the rest of the females on this planet aren't represented within those reviews. There are also multiple reviewers within the AA books. That was one persons review, who I respectively don't agree with.

• Yaw people should check out Sibylle Baier

She recorded these songs in the early 70's and never released them. Somehow, someone got somebody else the recordings a few years back and they put it out. If you want the story, you'll have to google it.

I know the shit isn't so much Perhacs-esque, but does anyone ride for people like Anne Briggs? Mary-Anne (Patterson)? Shelagh McDonald? Bridget St.John?

• I just uploaded the Sibylle Baier album for anyone interested ( )

http://rapidshare.com/files/198959239/Sibylle_Baier_-_Colour_Green.zip

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Linda Perhacs interviewed over at Dublab by Nobody

http://www.dublab.com/?id=1921

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    This thread changed my life.

This album is amazing, been listening to it daily.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    This thread changed my life.

This album is amazing, been listening to it daily.

epic amazing LP tho

• I just uploaded the Sibylle Baier album for anyone interested ( )

http://rapidshare.com/files/198959239/Sibylle_Baier_-_Colour_Green.zip

Man, this is beautiful. Thanks.

I ride for Bridget St. John, but I'm not up on the others you mentioned. What's good with Anne, Mary-Anne & Shelagh?