PERHACS

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    On a similar tip, does anyone know what's up with this?

I saw a copy in Groove Merchant over the New Year and nearly bought it on spec because of the title. Ten minutes later, some girl comes up to the counter with it. According to Chris, it's some Scandi soft-rock kind of thing, but now I really need to know if I've missed something special, because I figure it isn't the kind of thing I'm likely to find down at Camden Market in a hurry.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Melanie?

WTF

this thread reminds me of when canonical said he had been deep into folk for years - yet had never heard Nick Drake

Perhacs > Wendy & Bonnie.

Yeah, I agree, as it happens, but I was sort of offering Almond pointers to stuff on a similar tip. By The Sea is gorgeous, even if it's not as woozily tripped-out as stuff like Parallelograms or Chimacum Rain.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    apologies for the slight thread hijack...

Women in 1960s or 70s era folk and/or psyche are awesome but relatively "obscure" compared to their male counterparts. The most famous is probably Grace Slick, but I'd never heard of Linda Perhacs before this thread. There are probably many like her, but they're just not that popular. I like Melanie Safka (60s folk singer, Woodstock), but I only know one other person my age who's heard of her. I've come across only 1 or 2 of her records at a friend's house, put them aside to take home, but they ended up just getting mixed in with all the other dozens of orphan records. I also like Brenda Lee (girly music, I know), but I can never find her records at thrift stores and in randomly mixed crates even though she was a best-selling pop singer at one point.

In the US, Brenda Lee and Melanie are dollarbin staples. Melanie may be relatively obscure now, but is remembered by those who were there (she had a few hit singles along the way).

Now, Brenda Lee is my stuff...she had her "girly girl" moments, but she had a lot more soul and grit than some jive-ass diva like Connie Francis. Later on, she became a more MOR pop singer, but she was killer when she stuck with the rock & soul. Besides a handful of singles, I have two of her elpees, and I recommend them both:

- Memphis Portrait (1970 album where she does a Dusty In Memphis kinda deal...there are a few obnoxious cover versions of "Proud Mary" and things like this, but she NAILS "Do Right Woman - Do Right Man"...)

- Brenda Lee (from 1960...some of the tuffest female rockabilly this side of Wanda Jackson)

I will keep my eyes peeled for that Brenda Lee, thanks.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The Perhacs LP is a common reference point because it's the best.

well, the sound is great

& a few tracks are real killers, but the lyrics are corny & 'dated'

[/notfeelingherelbows]

Who was it that said Karen Dalton sounds like Kermit?

It's funny 'cause it's true.

IT AINT EASY BEEEEING GREEN

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Danish 70s girl group with locally famous singers/songwriters Anne Linnet and Lis S??rensen in the lineup. Their '75 song "Smuk & Dejlig" (translates to "Beautiful & Lovely" - a love song written for another woman) was a major hit and has since reached evergreen status here.

The group was strongly connected to the women's lib movement and was (and still is) a major inspiration for a lot of danish girls/women. They were very popular and their albums are all over the bins around these parts.

• well, the sound is great

& a few tracks are real killers, but the lyrics are corny & 'dated'

[/notfeelingherelbows]

Are u serious?
    you say lyrics sound corny and dated but you buy records?
    isn't that par for the course?????
    doesn't render something obsolete at all, check your 90's rap, "lyrics are corny & dated", check.

Perhacs was the first record I copped off ebay back in '99

40 bucks

DEALTH

• Man that Dalton record on Just Sunshine is garbage. I've tried and tried again. Can't fade it at all.

Doc McCoy - wholeheartedly agree on the recommendation. W&B is also one of my favorite LPs in this lane.

Soulh**k - you should also try checking out Joan Baez.

Soulh**k - you should also try checking out Joan Baez.

oh man

my mom was deep with Joan Baez, but you heard this Judy Collins chick?

Man that Dalton record on Just Sunshine is garbage. I've tried and tried again. Can't fade it at all.

I have one of these for sale - hit me on the PM

• Soulh**k - you should also try checking out Joan Baez.

oh man

my mom was deep with Joan Baez, but you heard this Judy Collins chick?

25 cents would be too much to pay for judy collins

Danish 70s girl group with locally famous singers/songwriters Anne Linnet and Lis S??rensen in the lineup. Their '75 song "Smuk & Dejlig" (translates to "Beautiful & Lovely" - a love song written for another woman) was a major hit and has since reached evergreen status here.

The group was strongly connected to the women's lib movement and was (and still is) a major inspiration for a lot of danish girls/women. They were very popular and their albums are all over the bins around these parts.

Thanks, man. I never heard of them, and when I saw the cover to that No.5 album, I thought it might have been some early-80s post-punk thing. It sounds pretty good.

I love how, in the middle of all the band shots and LP covers and what-not, dude who made the video throws in a random still of Lemmy.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Melanie?

actually I was wrong, Perhacs was the second thing I bought off ebay back in '99

the first was a Brigitte Fontaine 45 on Saravah

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Actually, it's pretty funny, because people always try to hype records as
    "sounds like Linda Perhacs" or starting threads on here or wrts.com asking
    "what are some records that sound like Linda Perhacs" but the end result
    usually seems to be that there are actually very few albums that sound like this.

all they probably mean is that they want some hippie-era female folk and they used Linda Perhacs as a reference point.

im not saying that its right or wrong, im just saying that it IS.

No, I think they are looking for records that sound like the Perhacs and
    NOT standard hippie-era female folk, that's kind of the point.

No, I think they are looking for records that sound like the Perhacs and
    NOT standard hippie-era female folk, that's kind of the point.

Unless they don't know shit about this style of music & that is EXACTLY what they meant...

Perhacs is the record that compels all who fall under it's spell to go out and buy a hundred other hairy armpit girl folk records. You either come out of it realizing you've wasted your time and money and move on, or you tun into one of those bearded lactating nancy-boys that Waxidermy is so rife with.

& pretty soon you're sitting at home vibing out to 'Hot Romance' in a Todd hoodie

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Perhacs is the record that compels all who fall under it's spell to go out and buy a hundred other hairy armpit girl folk records. You either come out of it realizing you've wasted your time and money and move on, or you tun into one of those bearded lactating nancy-boys that Waxidermy is so rife with.

Whoa.

& pretty soon you're sitting at home vibing out to 'Hot Romance' in a Todd hoodie

COLD, DUDE.

I heard Dante hasn't left his apartment in 3 weeks

BEAT THAT

• $2500 U.S.

I heard Dante hasn't left his apartment in 3 weeks

BEAT THAT

The Tesh video really got to him, huh?

• Perhacs is the record that compels all who fall under it's spell to go out and buy a hundred other hairy armpit girl folk records. You either come out of it realizing you've wasted your time and money and move on, or you tun into one of those bearded lactating nancy-boys that Waxidermy is so rife with.

with me, its the opposite

i generally dont go for early '70s singer-songwriter music - by women or men - yet I like Perhacs...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    These Trails > Perhacs

These Trails
    One-tracker