RECORD TALK!!!-Jazzy Psych Related LP's

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

the term 'psych' is abused and misused constantly, and i'm including this site

like this soul collector i know who uses the term "garage" to describe any white music made between '64 and '74. we were discussing sussex records when all of a sudden he mentions the garagier stuff they put out...im sorry, none of the white rock stuff on that label could be defined as garage. specially for a company that existed between '70-'75, when that music was over and done with,

there have always been psych and garage bands since the 60s, and while garage bands hit the top 10 every once in a while, psych bands haven't since the early 70s.

WHAT garage bands? this genre wasnt exactly continuous. during the 70's, there were hardly any garage bands around (and what few there were, like the droogs, werent exactly in high radio rotation). and even though there were full-blown revivals of this music in the 80's and 90's, i dont recall the chesterfield kings or the woggles making the top ten.

might be different now, with the white stripes and all, but there were definitely no garage rock chartmakers in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    damn why does every thread involving psych turn into a psych vs. garage debate

ITS REAL SIMPLE

PSYCH = FEMALE VOX MODULATION, BOWED GUITARS, QUESTIONABLE MUSICIANSHIP
    GARAGE = SUNGLASSES, LICKS, A GARAGE

cause a lot of folks dont know the difference

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

cause a lot of folks dont know the difference

Then there are the rest of us who don't particularly care about the differences. I honestly wish there could be a psyche thread that doesn't get bogged down in nerdy arguments over what exactly is or isn't psyche.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    The Albert on Perception (the one w/ the Charizma and PBW sample) and Wool on ABC are kinda nice in this style of music.

yes indeed. i like both of those albert records a lot.
    womb is dope too

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

What is the difference between Garage & Psych?

Psych = drug addicts playing music for drug addicts (recorded in a studio)
    Garage = drug addicts recorded while praticing in their garage

I disagree. You do not need drugs, a garage, or a studio to make either of these genres.

Garage came first. Appeared in the early 60s, and peaked at '66. Psych was a little bit later although the two overlapped at one point.

Garage rock, was from guys who were just playing simple rock'n roll. cue: 'louie louie'. The Fender guitar was beggining to make its way into homes, and a million local bands started up accross the US (and yes mostly practiced in their garage hence the name). Since these guys were younger, their sound was a bit more aggressive, this is when distortion (ie fuzz) started to come in. Some may have been into drugs, but most were good teenagers who made it home before curfew.
    It was these guys and their peers who later made the move to psych/drug music. The hippie stoner sceen was peaking around '68-'69 and that is when the best psych music came out. However, it should also be known that not all psych bands were on drugs.

Garage as a genre is really the style that certain bands in the late 70s thru mid 80s who were trying to get back to simple blues-based Rock and Roll ala the Count Five, the Seeds,Shadows of Knight, the Yardbirds, the Stones,etc. These 60s bands could be said to be 'garage bands', I guess, but they were really just white R&B combos who favored fuzz and feedback. As a response to punk and new wave, a whole bunch of bands attempted to recreate the fun and excitement(and often lamentably, the fashions) of 60s rock and roll, combining it with the energy and aggression of 70s Punk. The best of these garage bands (Fleshtones, DMZ/Lyres, the Real Kids, the Hypstrz, The Crawdaddys, the Chesterfield Kings, The Funseekers,many more-at least one good one from every region of the US and also plenty abroad) took their worship of all things 60s and applied it with depth and skill and actually had something to offer that could sit on the shelf next to their heroes. But when it was(and is) bad, Garage is the lamest excuse for narrow-minded trend-following, empty(often ugly)style-over-substance-no-talent-hacks to hang their 'musical' hat on and ply it under a marketable gimmick. The fans of this genre are by turns the most loyal, true-blue, exciting and knowledgeable folks you can ever meet, or astonishingly socially awkward and limited in just about all aspects. It can be a very frustrating genre to be creative in, because the things that make it the most exciting are also what squeezes and limits you in it's pursuit.

This explanation is by no means definitive, but coming from my personal experience in these types of bands in the late 80s early 90s. I guess I don't believe there is such a thing as 'definitive' when discussing genre.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I am probably guilt of this debate. I appreciate some of the knowledge and clarification dropped by knewjack and digdug.

oh and horns would almost never be involved when discussing real psych bands... thats just a no-no (these bands would be labeled 'commercial' by collectors), though as has been said, instrumentation isn't defined or anything...

haha. you can probably add fender rhodes to the equation too. Organ, farfisa, etc. that seems to be a definite in terms of keys in psych groups, but it seems that electric piano tends to be a no-no as well in the purist sensibility.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

title track is a burner!!

• What is the difference between Garage & Psych?

Psych = drug addicts playing music for drug addicts (recorded in a studio)
    Garage = drug addicts recorded while praticing in their garage

I disagree. You do not need drugs, a garage, or a studio to make either of these genres.

Garage came first. Appeared in the early 60s, and peaked at '66. Psych was a little bit later although the two overlapped at one point.

Garage rock, was from guys who were just playing simple rock'n roll. cue: 'louie louie'. The Fender guitar was beggining to make its way into homes, and a million local bands started up accross the US (and yes mostly practiced in their garage hence the name). Since these guys were younger, their sound was a bit more aggressive, this is when distortion (ie fuzz) started to come in. Some may have been into drugs, but most were good teenagers who made it home before curfew.
    It was these guys and their peers who later made the move to psych/drug music. The hippie stoner sceen was peaking around '68-'69 and that is when the best psych music came out. However, it should also be known that not all psych bands were on drugs.

Garage as a genre is really the style that certain bands in the late 70s thru mid 80s who were trying to get back to simple blues-based Rock and Roll ala the Count Five, the Seeds,Shadows of Knight, the Yardbirds, the Stones,etc. These 60s bands could be said to be 'garage bands', I guess, but they were really just white R&B combos who favored fuzz and feedback. As a response to punk and new wave, a whole bunch of bands attempted to recreate the fun and excitement(and often lamentably, the fashions) of 60s rock and roll, combining it with the energy and aggression of 70s Punk. The best of these garage bands (Fleshtones, DMZ/Lyres, the Real Kids, the Hypstrz, The Crawdaddys, the Chesterfield Kings, The Funseekers,many more-at least one good one from every region of the US and also plenty abroad) took their worship of all things 60s and applied it with depth and skill and actually had something to offer that could sit on the shelf next to their heroes. But when it was(and is) bad, Garage is the lamest excuse for narrow-minded trend-following, empty(often ugly)style-over-substance-no-talent-hacks to hang their 'musical' hat on and ply it under a marketable gimmick. The fans of this genre are by turns the most loyal, true-blue, exciting and knowledgeable folks you can ever meet, or astonishingly socially awkward and limited in just about all aspects. It can be a very frustrating genre to be creative in, because the things that make it the most exciting are also what squeezes and limits you in it's pursuit.

This explanation is by no means definitive, but coming from my personal experience in these types of bands in the late 80s early 90s. I guess I don't believe there is such a thing as 'definitive' when discussing genre.

Well said (from someone who knows...)

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    It's not jazzy and may or may not be psyche, but I don't want to start another thread to ask if this is any good:

It's sitting at one of those shops with no listening station and they don't allow portables.

ehh. I have it. Kinda unremarkable upon semi-focused needle drop.

jazz influenced psych.
    sounds like another demon fuzz beef thread if you ask me.
    nah. I don't know anything about genres. my mind is a burning cloud.

No no, sir.

Put the needle onto 'Toe grabber'.........heavy noiceness.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    yaargh

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    yaargh

Did it grab you by the toes?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    no females moaning, but this is OK. and kind of what you're looking for.

• a couple that pop into my mind:

mashmakhan.... how could this have not been mentioned to this point.

eden's children.... produced by bob thiele. what other psychish records did he work on?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I am listening a lot to Ron Julian - Little Boy. I am not sure yet if I think the singing sucks. It is, at least, a very interesting LP.

• Nate - Kingmost only gets fucked by frat boys. Thought this information might be of some value to you...

Music? What's that?

what the fuck did I miss?

• Patrick the Lama knows what he is talking about. Why don't we go with his definition? Anything that doesn't fit into this category could be 'psych influenced'. Might save a few arguments. Or you could ignore me. I won't be upset.

http://www.lysergia.com/LamaReviews/lamaMain.htm

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    Patrick the Lama knows what he is talking about.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I am listening a lot to Ron Julian - Little Boy. I am not sure yet if I think the singing sucks. It is, at least, a very interesting LP.

Yeah, the singing reminds me too much of tom jones or something. For some reason this was lodged in my head as a dope LP... I do like the one long track with vibes in the middle of one of the sides, tho.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    For some reason this was lodged in my head as a dope LP...

Harsh! I think it's good... I could do without the singing but it's got a nice overall sound to it and some interesting moves. Can't say that for a lot of small-label jazz LPs...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    It's not jazzy and may or may not be psyche, but I don't want to start another thread to ask if this is any good:

It's sitting at one of those shops with no listening station and they don't allow portables.

ehh. I have it. Kinda unremarkable upon semi-focused needle drop.

jazz influenced psych.
    sounds like another demon fuzz beef thread if you ask me.
    nah. I don't know anything about genres. my mind is a burning cloud.

No no, sir.

Put the needle onto 'Toe grabber'.........heavy noiceness.

Good call man!

The singing style still isn't my thing, but I can get with this.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    it's got a nice overall sound to it and some interesting moves. Can't say that for a lot of small-label jazz LPs...

Now you're just trying to hurt me

mashmakhan.... how could this have not been mentioned to this point.

The only Mashmakhan I've heard is their hit ("As The Years Go By," 1970) and there was nothing REMOTELY jazzy about that.

Not saying that DJ Cool Hands is wrong - I've never heard the rest of their stuff, but I wouldn't have figured on them to be a jazz-rock group after hearing a straight-up pop-rocker like "As The Years...".

• slushslush 691 Posts
    yeah the marsh is like canuck pop rock

eden's children is really low key, maybe the arrangements are vaguely jazzy. im thinking of invitation but i know there is another

JAZZY PSYCH HAHAHAH

womb?

that bakery record with the jazz ensemble. that like jazz and psych AND christian! everything i need in a day!

smoke?

et cetera? or is that too weird?

• Dreams and Illusions (Verve) is something I would recommend.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    yeah the marsh is like canuck pop rock

eden's children is really low key, maybe the arrangements are vaguely jazzy. im thinking of invitation but i know there is another

JAZZY PSYCH HAHAHAH

womb?

On one cut Womb gets a little jazzy. It's actually the best one on the whole album IMHO.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1854

the one Mashmakhan LP I have sounds pretty good, but doesn't have any Jazzy stuff. Just your typical mix of Rock and Blues and a little Soul that a lot of white Rock groups were doing at the time.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=424

• The only Mashmakhan I've heard is their hit ("As The Years Go By," 1970) and there was nothing REMOTELY jazzy about that.

give gladwin another listen for reference.

or maybe realize the back cover notes include a review by a former editor of down beat magazine???

that might be a hint it has jazz inflences.

from his notes:

"You'll hear the influence of jazz all through this album...."

do your homework.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

the one Mashmakhan LP I have sounds pretty good, but doesn't have any Jazzy stuff. Just your typical mix of Rock and Blues and a little Soul that a lot of white Rock groups were doing at the time.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=424
    mashmakhan-the family lp is jazzy psych. very good

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

The only Mashmakhan I've heard is their hit ("As The Years Go By," 1970) and there was nothing REMOTELY jazzy about that.

give gladwin another listen for reference.

or maybe realize the back cover notes include a review by a former editor of down beat magazine???

that might be a hint it has jazz inflences.

from his notes:

"You'll hear the influence of jazz all through this album...."

do your homework.

agreed. Great lp too, thanks dude.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

This, IMO, is very good.