GOAT Disco band/artist

13»

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Come on, it's gotta be C.H.I.C.

G.O.A.T.

see that thraed about the rock n roll hall of fame for details

Yep. Even groups like Change/Delegation were heavily influenced by Chic.

Not to mention all the hits that Bernard/Niles produced/wrote as a duo. How many killer bass lines did Bernards playing spawn, especially after "Good Times" came out? FTMFW

This bass line is so boss...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    If anyone knows how to get that bass tone please to PM.

• Although not much for the typical disco sound, My personal pick (right now) might be Leroy Burgess.

Like the dude who posted Convertion said.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Kon is right. But that combo is beyond a genre, straight off of another planet (probably the same one E.T. came from, if you trust Quincy's bio)

• Since we're all agreed that Chic is the obvious winner in this thread, the real thing that should be debated here is:

Who wins in a fight? OG Chic Cheer or Bernard Edwards' Chic Cheer Remix?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Come on, it's gotta be C.H.I.C.

G.O.A.T.

see that thraed about the rock n roll hall of fame for details

Yep. Even groups like Change/Delegation were heavily influenced by Chic.

Not to mention all the hits that Bernard/Niles produced/wrote as a duo. How many killer bass lines did Bernards playing spawn, especially after "Good Times" came out? FTMFW

the bass is boss, but this THREAD sucks because the majority hearing that song don't hear that sweet sound of that bass, the crowd is just wanting somethin' to dance to. Thats what makes ////quote/// good ///guote//// disco, its dynamic.

I had to pull that sister sledge out, that "THINKING OF YOU" is f*ckin untouchable disco and soul wise.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

the bass is boss, but this THREAD sucks because the majority hearing that song don't hear that sweet sound of that bass, the crowd is just wanting somethin' to dance to. Thats what makes ////quote/// good ///guote//// disco, its dynamic.

Not sure how serious you're being here, but Bernard Edwards is a shining example of how you can use "boss" bass playing (or technical mastery of any instrument for that matter) to grab people's attention on the dance floor. The non-musicians in the crowd might not know what they're hearing, but they can certainly feel an otherwordly energy going on when the playing truly is from another planet. What I love about groups like MFSB/Salsoul and Chic is how far they pushed themselves technically as musicians within an ostensibly crowd-pleasing genre.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wtf is with the constant disco threads lately

two years ago u dudes were constantly hating

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    u dudes were constantly hating

I was and still am a partial hater, I think the 50% of disco I hear sucks, the other 50% is unbelievable good time music. I can't believe some peoples choices on here though.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    .imo thee lp reaching disco perfection, is quincy jones and rod temperton with michael....call it over-rated but it is absolutely timeless..the most powerful trio in disco.
    i always say if this were a private or indie lp, game over.

I agree, but the last sentence is an oxymoron. A big part of what makes those Q/Temperton/MJ records what they are is the mega production value.

@deej:

Erh...no. There's always been recurring disco/boogie threads on this board for as long as I've been checking it. We are not all holmes or pickwick33. You must not have been paying attention.

Huh...I've been on the board for more than four years and it seems like it's been a steady stream of constant disco threads for the duration.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    u dudes were constantly hating

I was and still am a partial hater, I think the 50% of *insert any genre of music here*[/b]___________ I hear sucks, the other 50% is unbelievable good time music. I can't believe some peoples choices on here though.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Semi-obscure fave from Chic:

• I can't believe some peoples choices on here though

I have to leave soon for the airport to go DJ in France and ironically they want to hear classic disco at this event. This is such a broad spectrum question to ask because discos' tentacles reached so far and wide for so long so everyones opinions are different. Here's my GOAT 11 of mainstream disco that at least epitomize 'peak disco' vibes for a dancefloor. But there are so many....these are dancefloor grandfathers...undisputed truths imo

I Feel Love- Donna Summer
    Dazz-Brick
    I Got My Mind Made Up- Instant Funk
    Good Times/Chic Cheer- Chic
    Love Thang- First Choice
    Stomp -Brothers Johnson
    Lovers Holiday- Change
    Night Fever- Bee Gees
    Voulez Vous- Abba
    Do You Wanna Funk- Sylvester
    Atmosphere Strut - Cloud One

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

How did this go this far without BOHANNON being mentioned. damn. One of the best.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Huh...I've been on the board for more than four years and it seems like it's been a steady stream of constant disco threads for the duration.

disagree. this shit has def picked up in the past year or so

disagree. this shit has def picked up in the past year or so

Oh yeah, I'd believe interest has picked up in the past year or so...I just don't remember folks "hating on it" per se since I've been a member.

• How did this go this far without BOHANNON being mentioned. damn. One of the best.

Yeah, "ONE of the best". Bohannon is no Chic, hence no mention. Bohannon is clearly not the GOAT, merely

keep in mind I really like Bohannon a lot.

• Gary Turnier, who produced disco records for SAM, i think has a dope and consistent sound. I rarely see him mentioned.

• Another case of apples and oranges but as far as peaktime GOAT disco track Bohannon is unfuckwithable

Bohannon - Let's Start II Dance Again (1981)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Another case of apples and oranges but as far as peaktime GOAT disco track Bohannon is unfuckwithable

"peaktime" = 1981?

• "peaktime" = 1981?

its all relative.
    i played the theme song from sesame st last night at peak time. sing along time.
    nothing but love.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"peaktime" = 1981?

its all relative.
    i played the theme song from sesame st last night at peak time. sing along time.
    nothing but love.

Its all good Daddy, I read peaktime in the context of the Disco Era vs rockin your party....My bad.

But... that bassline is heat no matter what the time.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Isn't Greatest Disco Band an oxymoron? Just joking...

Though Im not the biggest or deepest disco fan these guys get regular play...

Chic, Heatwave, Giorgio Moroder & Salsoul Orchestra

and as far as slept on killer....

dr buzzards orginal savannah band.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

And nile and bernard also produced and played on Sister Sledge album "we are family" which of course contained the monster disco title track + Lost in music + he's the greatest dancer + Thinking of you.

That album is ridiculous.

that entire record is my shit.

Its meant for this. Wish I had a wish.

A 1957 DeSoto Adventurer. This was the first American car to have 1 horsepower per cubic inch of displacement, which equaled 345 hp. This example has a record player in the dash board.

• Another case of apples and oranges but as far as peaktime GOAT disco track Bohannon is unfuckwithable

"peaktime" = 1981?

I did in fact mean at the peak of a party.

I must admit i am quite partial to disco (prelude,salsoul etc) from around that era (early 80's) when disco mutated into house. After the mainstream success in the 70's of disco and the subsequent back lash (e.g. disco sucks rally in Chicago) I reckon some of the best disco came out when it went underground again