GOAT Disco band/artist

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    the umbrella of disco is endless.

For me, the umbrella is actually a very small one. I have a hard time thinking of more than a handful of artists or groups that meet the criteria for the top spot, and they have pretty much all been mentioned already. The hard part is choosing between those few people I think are up for debate.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I would probably say Chic. Just Nile & Bernard other production work is pretty hawt!!

Just of the top of my head...

Dance, Dance, Dance
    Everybody Dance
    Good Times
    Chic Cheer
    Le Freak
    I Want Your Love
    Soup For One

They had quite a bit of influence over music culture of the last 30 years. Be it Dance & house music to Hip Hop and R&B.

And nile and bernard also produced and played on Sister Sledge album "we are family" which of course contained the monster disco title track + Lost in music + he's the greatest dancer + Thinking of you.

I rate Patrick Adams as 2nd G.O.A.T he brought so much depth and imagination to disco.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Many disco records that are classics on the dance floors are not special because of the artists behind them, as much as the remixers that spliced them up. People like Larry Levan, Walter Gibbons, Tom Moulton etc are the true G.O.A.T.s for heads on the dance floors.

As far as Radio and Pop friendly disco, I can get down with Nile Rodgers, but I also want to throw Randy Muller in that mix too since nobody else has mentioned him. His tunes aren't as popular at Weddings as Nile's, but man his shit was tight.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

And nile and bernard also produced and played on Sister Sledge album "we are family" which of course contained the monster disco title track + Lost in music + he's the greatest dancer + Thinking of you.

That album is ridiculous.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Somebody Loves Me is my shit.

• And nile and bernard also produced and played on Sister Sledge album "we are family" which of course contained the monster disco title track + Lost in music + he's the greatest dancer + Thinking of you.

that entire record is my shit.

• dont sleep on miami disco heat. tons of it.

this is a topic that can have no g.o.a.t.

while theres are soooo many great lps, donna mcghee, heatwaves, chics, rufus, ojays, first choices, just about anything coming from philly.......imo thee lp reaching disco perfection, is quincy jones and rod temperton with michael....call it over-rated but it is absolutely timeless..the most powerful trio in disco.
    i always say if this were a private or indie lp, game over.

I can't feel that...

why so ?
    get on the floor, rock with you, working day n night, etc etc... some serious writing and arrangements going on. michael's flow on that shit is effortless.

i just dont think much can hold up against this in a complete disco lp batttle, pound for pound....ballads and floorfillers
    quincy was killing it then, from rufus, to bros johnson...

chic is up there for sure. they also did norma jean...

the umbrella isnt small ?
    gladys knight & the pips
    ashford and simpson
    ewf
    billy paul
    heatwave
    skyy
    brass construction
    the originals
    ojays
    fatback band
    linda clifford
    curtis
    leroy hutson
    p&p
    mass production
    harold melvin
    teddy
    luther
    bt express
    commodores
    and on and on

one of the most unique and innovative disco lps also the soundtrack .along with chic to my childhood............dr buzzards orginal savannah band. crazy lp.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Not to forget Crown Heights Affair. The quality of their original material and their ability as performers is amazing.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I want to add: Silver Convention to this top 50 list.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    dont sleep on miami disco heat. tons of it.

while theres are soooo many great lps, donna mcghee, heatwaves, chics, rufus, ojays, first choices, just about anything coming from philly.......imo thee lp reaching disco perfection, is quincy jones and rod temperton with michael....call it over-rated but it is absolutely timeless..the most powerful trio in disco.

I can't feel that...

why so ?

OOOOPPPSSSSS

My bad....

I meant I CAN[/b] feel that...

Blame it on the multi task.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I want to add: Silver Convention to this top 50 list.

Serious 3 or 4 album run of unfuskwitable Disco LPs.

• I also want to throw Randy Muller in that mix too since nobody else has mentioned him.

Hell yeah.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was thinking about this the other day, who was the greatest disco band/artist of all times? I think not only popularity at the time, but standing the test of time up to now should be a factor as well. I'm going with:

KC & The Sunshine Band-mad hits, still listenable, funkay, alldatshit.

Donna Summer? Great singer, but many of her songs are nearly intolerable.
    Holleur!

Greatest Disco band artist of all time.
    Criteria:
    1) Popularity
    2) Stand the test of time.

For me KC&SB is kinda low on that list. On it, but low.

1) Michael
    2) Chic

They win for popularity and standing the test of time.

They are not the most important, prolific, inventive or even popular.
    When you add test of time to popular I vote them one and two.

• The Jacksons w/ Gamble & Huff is some Disco genius IMO.

This is a GOAT thread right?

If this was popularity (Not Strutter votes), don't Bee Gees or Village People win??? Even over MJ?

• But I'll state that Micheal Jackson is beyond Disco.

• This is a GOAT thread right?

If this was popularity (Not Strutter votes), don't Bee Gees win? Even over MJ?

Good question.

Its tuff, cause MJ/J5/Jackson 5 were played through the entire era.

The Bee Gees didnt hit until the mid to late 70's.

By the time Off The Wall came out('79)the Bee Gees were fizzlin in the club.

Understand... I would throw out MJ/Jackson 5.

But I'm saying based on the masses, Bee Gees & V.P. I think would come out on top.

On a side note not really doing in this thread. I'm taking a pause for the cause...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

If this was popularity (Not Strutter votes), don't Bee Gees or Village People win??? Even over MJ?

Ready the original post.
    Popularity + stands the test of time.

I think a vote for the Bee Gees is defensible. But the VP do not STTOT IMO.

• chic is up there for sure. they also did norma jean...
    My jam...

dont sleep on miami disco heat. tons of it.

I can't feel that...

why so ?
    get on the floor, rock with you, working day n night, etc etc... some serious writing and arrangements going on. michael's flow on that shit is effortless.

i just dont think much can hold up against this in a complete disco lp batttle, pound for pound....ballads and floorfillers
    quincy was killing it then, from rufus, to bros johnson...

the umbrella isnt small ?
    gladys knight & the pips
    ashford and simpson
    ewf
    billy paul
    heatwave
    skyy
    brass construction
    the originals
    ojays
    fatback band
    linda clifford
    curtis
    leroy hutson
    p&p
    mass production
    harold melvin
    teddy
    luther
    bt express
    commodores
    and on and on

one of the most unique and innovative disco lps also the soundtrack .along with chic to my childhood............dr buzzards orginal savannah band. crazy lp.

I like or love all the groups on your list, but we're talking about the G.O.A.T. here, not artists we like. I can't pretend that I had to do any soul searching to choose Chic and Salsoul Orchestra over Linda Clifford and Mass Production as G.O.A.T. There is no comparison. Others on your list just aren't quintessentially disco enough for me. Curtis, The Commodores, Fatback Band, Earth Wind and Fire, to name a few, dabbled in disco- maybe more than just dabbled- but their best work was solidly in the funk realm or the soul realm, IMO. Some on the list also needlessly overlap with others (why would I pick Billy Paul or Harold Melvin as my G.O.A.T., when I could have the entire catalog of the MFSB/Salsoul Orchestra that gave them their disco wings? That's my logic anyway...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Ready the original post.
    Popularity + stands the test of time.

I think a vote for the Bee Gees is defensible. But the VP do not STTOT IMO.

Actually, I hate this thread. This thread sucks. I don't give a F*ck about popularity, and if I did, I would be listening to some shitty disco.

According to Strut Logic 2/12/09, ABBA is the greatest disco group of all time.

Popularity? Check.

Stands the test of time? Check.

I still get ABBA requests almost every f*cking time I DJ, and their shit is in heavy rotation via Broadway Shows and Blockbuster movies, shit even Madonna sings over ABBA tracks. ABBA is still everywhere. That makes ABBA the G.O.A.T. disco group by your logic.

I repeat, this thread sucks.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    U suck!
    I just wanted to see what people thought were some of the best disco bands evar. You need to chillax champ.

My jam...

Norma Jean is and will always be an essential part of Chic to me. Her singing was so warm and gentle compared to the backup singers that replaced her. Not that the group didn't have some of it's greatest songs with out her, but I think when she left, it became the Nile Rogers and Bernard Edwards show. The singing was more anonymous and could have been done by almost any competent professional at that point.

yeah, but Abba isn't a disco group by any means. They are a straight pop group who had some huge success with discoish tracks in dance clubs.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    U suck!
    I just wanted to see what people thought were some of the best disco bands evar. You need to chillax champ.

Haha sorry for the sucks comment, but it's in my nature to get worked up over disco.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I knew you loved disco, I was wondering your thoughts on this one. Playing ABBA all the time must suck.

I like KC & TSB, Heatwave, Barry W, Silver Convention, Chic, etc. but I guess I ride for KC the most and was surprised I was gettin no Amenz.

• Come on, it's gotta be C.H.I.C.

G.O.A.T.

see that thraed about the rock n roll hall of fame for details

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I hate how radio cuts off the last minute of "Never Knew Love Like This Before" -- that "never knew-HOOOOOOOO" is the best part.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Actually, I hate this thread. This thread sucks. I don't give a F*ck about popularity, and if I did, I would be listening to some shitty disco.

According to Strut Logic 2/12/09, ABBA is the greatest disco group of all time.

Popularity? Check.

Stands the test of time? Check.

I still get ABBA requests almost every f*cking time I DJ, and their shit is in heavy rotation via Broadway Shows and Blockbuster movies, shit even Madonna sings over ABBA tracks. ABBA is still everywhere. That makes ABBA the G.O.A.T. disco group by your logic.

I repeat, this thread sucks.
    I was gonna post up ABBA seriously just to stir shit up. But then got distracted here at work & didn't have time to type up some long winded ABBA defensive.