another eBay WTF?

dmacdmac 472 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Sarah Webster Fabio test pressing I like how he describes it as dusty...

Comments

• Is that a modern test pressing of an upcoming reissue? Do those bidders need reading comprehension lessons??

• more what the F*ck to me is the ebay media mail insistance policy. i gotta send out twelve media mails this week because of it. WHAT THE F*ck!!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Well, technically speaking, it's still a test-pressing and thus, rare.

• Well, technically speaking, it's still a test-pressing and thus, rare.

Uh huh...wasn't this guy doing something similar recently?

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Aside from describing it as dusty, dude is being deliberately vague, and bidders are falling for it.
    The 7" re-issue is supposed to be out in a matter of weeks.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Well, technically speaking, it's still a test-pressing and thus, rare.

I do believe he did...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    There's a thread on Fryer's board on this topic too.

Dudes there getting mad het up, especially as the seller called out other folks for this very thing.

• Well, technically speaking, it's still a test-pressing and thus, rare.

I do believe he did...

Shifty as fusk...

There's a thread on Fryer's board on this topic too.

Dudes there getting mad het up, especially as the seller called out other folks for this very thing.

WHere's Fryer's board at these days? Their old URL doesn't work anymore.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Aside from describing it as dusty, dude is being deliberately vague, and bidders are falling for it.

There is nothing vague about his description.... It clearly says it is one of 5 test pressings from the upcoming release. Pretty obvious if you ask me. You can kind of tell by the writing on the label that it is new as well (ie: not faded at all).

• Aside from describing it as dusty, dude is being deliberately vague, and bidders are falling for it.

There is nothing vague about his description.... It clearly says it is one of 5 test pressings from the upcoming release. Pretty obvious if you ask me. You can kind of tell by the writing on the label that it is new as well (ie: not faded at all).

You don't think that this:

sarah webster fabio - sweet songs b/w jujus-alchemy of the blues on a white label test press. condition is vg+, it has a slight warp which does not affect the play and it also shows some slight dust as you can see in the picture

...implies that what these people are bidding on is an old record (which would explain the price)?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I see nothing wrong with selling a test press of an upcoming re-release nor paying 150+ dollars for one, nor the wording of the auction.

• the 'dust' is

ambiguous for sure

the 'dust' is

ambiguous for sure
    New records can't collect dust?--that's just an accurate description of the item...

• the 'dust' is

ambiguous for sure
    New records can't collect dust?--that's just an accurate description of the item...

You getting a piece of the action with this???

the 'dust' is

ambiguous for sure

I don't want people to get the mistaken idea that it's not okay to either sell or pay a lot for a new yet rare test press of an old record--just in case I want to get in on the action, which I might...

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    the 'dust' is

ambiguous for sure

I don't want people to get the mistaken idea that it's not okay to either sell or pay a lot for a new yet rare test press of an old record--just in case I want to get in on the action, which I might...

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

You don't think that this:

sarah webster fabio - sweet songs b/w jujus-alchemy of the blues on a white label test press. condition is vg+, it has a slight warp which does not affect the play and it also shows some slight dust as you can see in the picture

...implies that what these people are bidding on is an old record (which would explain the price)?

No I don't think that implies it is an old record because after that bit he says: "this is one of five test pressings of the forthcoming re-release on tramp. a classic tune, available for the first time on 7""

I'm not sure how much clearer it could be? I don't personally know about the practices that this seller has had in the past , I get the feeling like there may be a personal issue you have with the seller which is clouding your judgment of his description?

No I don't think that implies it is an old record because after that bit he says: "this is one of five test pressings of the forthcoming re-release on tramp. a classic tune, available for the first time on 7""

I'm not sure how much clearer it could be? I don't personally know about the practices that this seller has had in the past , I get the feeling like there may be a personal issue you have with the seller which is clouding your judgment of his description?

Cosign. This dude might be a douche supreme but his description is pretty clear.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

To spend money on an item like this is simply idiotic.
    It's not a rare record if there are at least 500 copies going to get pressed up. I remember back in the day when Phillip from Desco pressed up a 45 and the smallest possible order with the pressing plant was 200 or 500 pieces, he then trashed all copies except of 12 and thus created an instantly rare and collectable record. it was a good laugh and all but I would have never paid even $50 for something like this.

Of course the whole "dust issue" is not only suspect but just plain and simple misleading. How can a test pressing that's only a few days old collect dust? Who would sell a dusty record, never mind how old without first cleaning it?

It's funny and I don't feel sorry for the muppet who bought this but as far as the seller is concerned, this still is a cheap bitch move of the slimier variety.

• You don't think that this:

I don't know the seller outside of similar practices having been mentioned here before.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Description seems fair enough. Not deceptive or misleading. Might be poorly laid out.

Dust? Has the seller never heard of a disc washer brush or other record cleaning brushes?

That alone would keep me from bidding .50c from the seller.

I can't see dust in the picture. That adds to me not wanting to bid with seller.

Warped, dusty, vg+, reissue.
    Why are people bidding?

Are there so few rare records in the universe that people are forced to bid on stuff like this?

More likely none of those bids are serious.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Oh, they're serious. This has happened several times before, with similar results. My only question is: are the bidders folks who think it's an OG, or are they bidders who need to have a 1-of-5 white label copy of a 45 that's coming out in a week for 10+ times less? If the latter, that's some next-level stupidity.

• maybe it??s promotion tactics..... bidding up yourself to get your target audience ranting about the high price and the stupid bidders?..... now 500+ clicks... that??s way more as if he would have put it in announcements..... anyway, i know this guy and he??s a mega-douche, so STOP giving him free promo....