One. Two. Three. Four. Five.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I found out some horribly sad news last night and I'm really trying to keep my head up, so I'd like to focus on some positives (no matter how materialistic they may seem):1. NYC trip coming up soon.[/b]2. Disneyland trip coming up more soonerer.[/b]3. Big Pun's "Booomerang"[/b]Can't stand dude after seeing and hearing about the ugly shit he's done, but that Le Planet Sauvage loop CAN. NOT. BE. F*CKED. WITH. I'm gonna pull out my reissue tomorrow for some Sunday afternoon musica.4. Valentine's Day.[/b]I'm weird with this holiday. Some years I loathe it, some years I'm super into it. And it's not even years I have a special lady vs years I don't. Sometimes I'm NOT into it when I DO have a lady and that can get sticky icky, 'specially if SHE'S into it. Sidenote: Ladies...why do you do that thing where you say "I hate Valentine's Day" and then we catch you saying "awwwwwwww how sweet!" when your friends tell you their V Day plans?? Quit with that mixed message shit!Anyways, I'm kinda feeling it this year so I decided to spoil Mom with a massage, some roses sent to her work and a nice fancy dinner. She's not expecting it and she definitely deserves it! Besides, Mom will NEVER do me wrong. (Stop it, you perverts.)5. New Jack Swingin' it![/b]I'm throwing a 90's theme party for my weekly tonight. I was a little worried that it'd be a bust until I started having strangers tell they already knew about it when I handed them a flyer. That's always a good sign!I got a couple friends who own some stores in town to kick me down with some gift certificates and I'm gonna use those as prizes for the Flyest 90's Gear and Freshest 90's Dancer contests.Plus the party gave me an excuse to dust off the ol' airbrush that I haven't used in over 10 years... Too bad I can't join my own contests.And oh, the right leg says Get Loose! with 2 screws as O's (the name of my weekly) and the left has a pair of headphones over TF (for Tortilla Factory, my crew).

Comments

• sorry to hear you got some sad news Herm.

Those pants are crazy though.

Are you living in that dude's office building with the blinds on the brick wall?

• sorry to hear you got some sad news Herm.

Those pants are crazy though.

Are you living in that dude's office building with the blinds on the brick wall?

Spent some time in a hospital room today listening to prayers that I only understood half of. (They were in Spanish and I'm not fluent.) I hate hospitals. I prayed in my own way, which is basically talking to Him like he's one of my dudes, 'cept without the curse words. I kept thinking of the breathing machine sounds as a metronome for a sad slow song.

I live in a brick house (ooowwww!). The bricks are very textured. I get nervous painting them 'cause I don't think they'll look too great. Plus it'll probably be hard to do by hand. I'll need a sprayer.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Hang in there, Herm. My best to you and yours.

I kept thinking of the breathing machine sounds as a metronome for a sad slow song.

Coincidentally, my friend recorded his grandfather dying on a breathing machine and used the sound as the rhythmic elements of a sad, slow song.

Further, further you go
    How is the desert
    How does the snow
    Drift over hollow bones

How will you find
    Your voice there?

Further, further you go

Further, further you go

How will you find
    Your voice there?

And I love you
    When the shroud is torn
    From your heart

Your name, like plague in my mouth
    Changes again
    Charges the sea
    Leading it's stolen horse

How will you find
    Your voice there?

Your name, like plague in my mouth...

Your name, like plague in my mouth...

And I love you
    When the shroud is torn
    From your heart

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Keep your head up, Herm. Good luck with what is going on with you.

Although I think you're violating 90's protocol by not having one of your overall straps undone. Check your technique!

• Yeah, I know. But then you couldn't read my name!

• Bam...

Where can I hear this song? I'd like to be down so that I can be up.

And thanks.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Grape Soda[/b]

1)Christian Bale
    2)Internet Pron
    3)The Cool Kids - Pennies
    4)Jose Canseco
    5)The many moods of Tom Colicchio

Bonus Beat: Grey Goose str8 on ice

Grape Drink[/b]

1)Octo-Mom
    2)Elgin Baylor
    3)The "let a heatrock loose" curse
    4)Non-Smoking neighbors
    5)The politics of California

Bonus Beat: The Stimulus plan

• 3)The "let a heatrock loose" curse

Haha, what is this

Haha, what is this

The massive flood(no pun)of retards,redundant posters and bland contributors that showed up after and continue to infect The Strut on a daily.

• Wow, I never made that association. That's totally depressing.

• 1. Spending Valentines Day at home with my wife, and hooking up a great meal. Green onion risotto, seared scallops and some crazy desert she will come up with.

2. I started a blog and I am actually pretty happy with how it turned out. It is food and booze related if you are interested. http://budgethedonist.blogspot.com/

3. My tax return is going to really help me pay some shit off this year and get some money in savings.

4. I still have a job.

5. It's over 60 outside and I am going home to sit on my porch and get shitty.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Haha, what is this

The massive flood(no pun)of retards,redundant posters and bland contributors that showed up after and continue to infect The Strut on a daily.

wait...you're alive?

Je**el

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Haha, what is this

What's a redundant poster? Dudes that just quote what someone else said?

Haha, what is this

What's a redundant poster? Dudes that just quote what someone else said?

wait...you're alive?

Je**el

What's crackin J ?

What's a redundant poster?

exceeding what is necessary or normal : superfluous b: characterized by or containing an excess ; specifically : too much blah blah blah

• I'll play.

TOP SHOTTA:[/b]
    1. Wife is just past the halfway mark; baby GIRL is due late June and everything looks great.

2. Pretty much done with DJing--and it feels good. I'm glad that I won't be out 'til all hours on a regular basis once the kid gets here (officially too old to be in the club). About to get rid of a grip of records, too.

3. Going to Japan in two weeks. It's our first time and we're both beyond excited.

4. Feeling great lately.

5. My wife is about to bake chocolate banana bread.

TOP RAMEN:[/b]
    1. I need a job. It's been two months now, and I've had a little freelance work here and there, but I'm totally ready for a full-time gig.

2. The above is beginning to stress me out.

• Shish Kebab [/b]

1. Been unloading a bunch of stuff that I don't need. (Clothes I don't wear, records I don't listen to, etc.) Trying to simplify things. It feels good.

2. NBA All-Star Weekend

3. Red Hot Dollars. I'm addicted.

4. I'm alive

1. Sprained my wrist this week

2. Unable to work out/draw (See No. 1)

3. Planning a trip to Costa Rica/upgrading the studio has been giving me nothing but headaches

4. Not working as much as I'd like to be.

• horribly sad news

Heaven has a new angel.

I stopped by the hospital after work tonight. Just felt compelled to. Spoke with her family a little bit, stroked her arm for a while. I really wanted to talk to her - I had a lot to tell her and I was more prepared than the first visit - but the family was praying. I couldn't interrupt, so I said a quiet hello to her and talked to Him too. I begged Him to let her stay longer. She's not done here, I said. This woman was so down for the cause and always there for her students, her family, her friends. Organizing, marching, rallying...she was one down ass Chicana who was not afraid to let her voice be heard. She had no personal agenda whatsoever, no ill will towards anybody. I never knew a person could be so tough and strong and determined yet so genuine, kind and caring. And positive. This woman was ALWAYS positive.

2 hours after I left the hospital, she passed.

I love you, Consuelo. Forever. Forever ever.

damn homie...I'm so sorry to hear that. What's ill is Jairo died the same exact day 4 years ago. I just attended a mass for him on Sunday. None of this shit will ever make sense. I hate death. Not scared of it but I hate it.

I'm sorry for your loss my dude.

• I'm really sorry to hear that, Herm. I'm sure you were a comfort to her family in that time; I hope you can find comfort, too.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Uptown My Home:

1. Daughter's staying with me this weekend.
    2. Destiny by Design Record Fair on Saturday.
    3. The young woman who giddily ran up to the dj table last night at the Tap Room as soon as I dropped Z-Ro's Respect My Mind.
    4. My apartment has a big balcony so now I've got all sorts of potted plants going out there. Started a bunch from seed, including tomato, peppers, okra, squash, artichoke, cucumbers, green beans, lettuce, spinach, arugula, basil, lavendar, and sunflowers.
    5. In 2 months time, I've already got myself in the best physical shape I've been in for the past 5 years. Some new glasses/contacts, some new clothes, a haircut, and some warm spring sun on my skin...and newfound single-life, watch the F*ck out!

Uptown Girl:

1. Arguing in person.
    2. Arguing by phone.
    3. Arguing by text.
    4. Arguing by legal threats.
    5. Arguing at all.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Herm, your sincerity shall take you far.

Hope everything is good with you Herm

Sunny D[/b]

1)Sam Adu

2)Right On - Marvin Gaye

3)Saigon - "damn at least i aint Joe Budden"...."he needs all the help he can fukin get"

4)Sully - I haven't seen this man's expression change once....even when he got teary eyed holmes kept the same look on his grill

5)Republicans- remarkable arrogance

**Janice Marie Johnson

Tampico[/b]

1)T.I and Snoop

2)Democrats- Soccer moms

3)Suge Knight getting knocked out - Who cares ? dude is 40,smokes cigars,drinks,overweight and so on......Let's not pretend he's Suge "Rampage" Jackson....old dudes get knocked out everyday

4)Jack in the box - Satan's Bistro

5)"Hip Hop clothing" store sales associates - look dude i'm only in here because the mall is crowded.. please stop trying to "match me up with that fly gear" ....please stop suggesting i'm "not up on" your new creative recreations....and no i don't need a belt or one of "the fresh new hats just in"

** Chevy Chase - overrated.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    LEONARD COHEN

1. True/False Film Festival this weekend.
    This is the best cultural event on our annual calendar and we've got the passes to prove it. If it is even one-tenth as awesome as it was last year, when I saw a film that changed the way I thought about brain injuries (life.support.music), a film that reimagined nostalgia and personal memories grown from the terroir of the avant garde (my winnipeg), a film that was like watching a documentary version of the breakfast club (american teen), and the film that won the best documentary feature oscar in 2008 (taxi to the dark side) and in 2009 (man on wire).

2. I am home this weekend and do not have plans to leave the state until at least the third week of March. I've been travelling like an electron and I need some time to restore my isotopes.

3. My wife just rules. We had a surprise birthday/oscar party for her last Sunday that she is still glowing about.

4. Leonard Cohen in New York City February 19. I know it's been more than a week now since the concert, but this will stay on my top five list for a long long time. His performance was incredible, and it was wonderful to be there with my brother.

5. Article to be published in forthcoming law review.

LYNRD SKYNRD

1. Herm's Consuelo. R.I.P.

2. Travelling all the time for work. Keeps me from the wife and child for way too many hours.

3. Dry cleaning bills. Those shits are getting high.

4. My wardrobe. I'm tired of it.

5. Stupid work computer that takes forever to start up and freezes all the time.

• Thanks, dudes.

She was buried on Tuesday. Many tears shed, many white doves were released.

I held it together until a group of about 7 kids (her students) raised their fist in the air as the casket was lowered. Shit was powerful. She made some power moves in her short life - organizing the Cesar Chavez rally, was instrumental in getting Chicano Civil Rights leader Ruben Salazar on a postage stamp, as well as her work with the youth. In addition to her obituary, this woman had TWO separate memorial articles (in the paper) written about her when she passed! You know you did something right when that happens!

• wow. I just read Herm's post and thought of all the stuff I have on my plate it really seems inconsequential. I still wouldn't minding wyling out on a motherfucker or 4